my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The most memorable gigs you've been to? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: The most memorable gigs you've been to?
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted June 28, 2010 19:13     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When was the last time you were genuinely impressed so much that you could not stop smiling even weeks after the show?

Having seen Voivod live for the first time in my little meaningless life last summer was something I probably won't ever forget. I mean, I obviously knew what was to be expected but when the guys started playing the world around me disappeared for the following 80+ minutes. "Astronomy Domine" in rememberance of Piggy was a perfect ending to a perfect show.

Celtic Frost in 2006 on their Monotheist tour made an impression too. They were so heavy and intense that they mesmerized the crowd totally - in bright June daylight. There weren't many indifferent passers-by that night even though it was a big festival (10000+ people). Fantastic stuff.

So, what's your story?

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

|  IP: Logged
dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted June 28, 2010 21:38     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i've been to many shows which i've enjoyed - but nothing touched me the way that my first celtic frost, or my last satyricon show did.

i also saw celtic frost on the 2006 monotheist tour in the states and it blew my mind. i have never felt so connected to music, or had such an unearthly feeling in my whole life. meeting tom g. and the rest of the band after the gig also took it to a whole new level.

satyricon was just pure sex. thats the only way i can really describe it. another out of this world experience that left me in an addicted rage for probably a half year after.

Mächina
VoivodFan
Member # 1095

posted June 29, 2010 02:49     Profile for Mächina   Email Mächina     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I'll agree that so many of us will concur by naming Celtic Frost and Voivod.

The greatest one for me has been, of course, Celtic Frost! Not only it was the last date of the Monotheist tour at Mexico City, but it also was the last act in the band's history... Such a memorable night, there was no world or even a person around me at that time, when I listened to Visions of Mortality and Into the Crypt of Rays my head was about to discard from my body, and Synagoga Satanae was the finest ending I've ever witnessed when Franco threw out the drums and Tom, his guitar and when Martin finally exclaimed "Mexico, The Frost bows to you!" and they did it, I almost dropped my entire soul in tears.

--------------------

Turn on the machine!!!

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted June 29, 2010 09:19     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, there's been a few actually. I guess Kreator in '92 was special because it was the first time an international Thrash metal band played on Chilean soil... we were still coming out of dictatorship back then, so it was a BIG thing to have them here ... the attendance was around 5000 ppl if I remember correctly. Being it the "Coma of Souls" tour, we also had the pleasure to witness the band at the top of their game IMO.

Napalm Death in '97: biggest moshpit I've ever been into.

Death in '98 ... wow ... just wow ... one of the last gigs they ever did ... and as far as I know the longest set they ever played (according to themselves). They made Cannibal Corpse look like newbies that night.

On a less testosterone-filled experience... The Gathering the night they recorded the "A Noise Severe" DVD. Sublime.

On a special note: The night my girlfriend asked me to go to see Toto with her ... I went just to make her company and left the venue absolutely blown away by their performance.

But I'm sure the most memorable gig in my life is still to come ... 37 days and counting!

--------------------

...I wish I knew the one who knows..

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted June 29, 2010 10:32     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiigggööörrr:
On a special note: The night my girlfriend asked me to go to see Toto with her ... I went just to make her company and left the venue absolutely blown away by their performance.

That must've been a nice surprise! I had a similar experience years ago when my wife took me to a Uriah Heep show. I thought I'd have a hard time trying to stay awake but Mick Box proved me sooo wrong

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted June 29, 2010 11:02     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Väinämöinen:
That must've been a nice surprise! I had a similar experience years ago when my wife took me to a Uriah Heep show. I thought I'd have a hard time trying to stay awake but Mick Box proved me sooo wrong

Yeah, same here ... after that show I wanted to drop my guitar in the trash ... damn, what a bunch of awesome musicians... I could have stayed there for 8 more hours just watching Simon Phillips drumming. Mind you, he broke a tom drumhead (he hits like a donkey kicks), and his roadie took off that tom, put new skins, tuned and before the song had finished the tom was set again, perfectly tuned (that roadie could work on Ferrari's F1 boxes)... of course Mr. Phillips did all his cool tom rolls and didn't miss a single beat, he just skipped the missing tom making it look like the easiest thing to do ... that was the icing of the cake to me.

No need to mention the singing guys and Luke's awesome playing. I was schooled.

--------------------

tsawyerfam
VoivodFan
Member # 992

posted June 29, 2010 14:22     Profile for tsawyerfam   Email tsawyerfam     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
2 will always pop right up

Voivod/Celtic Frost Lamours 86

Voivod/Kreator Lamours 87

many others

Slayer at the Ritz
SOD at the Ritz
DRI at the Ritz
Possessed / Dark Angel at CBGB's

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted June 29, 2010 17:11     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My first ever KISS concert. In Brussels at the Creatures of the night tour in 1983.
For the first time out with a bus when I was 16 years old! Together with my cousin. mmm Nice memories.

Aardschok dag in Zwolle in 1987.
Metallica headliner (MOP tour with Cliff on Bass!!)
Anthrax
Celtic Frost ( Cold LAke tour)
Crimson Glory
Metal Church and one other band I can't remember

Venom in Paradiso at the Possessed tour. It was so loud, no way I could hear what song they were playing.

All 10 Voivod shows I saw in 1993 (TOL), 1996, 2001, 2008 and the forthcoming one in 2010 in Helmond

Celtic Frost in 2006, This was in fact their very first gig (after the try-out one in Zurich) they did. I met Tom outside the gig.

All 10+ Metallica gigs, did they ever disappoint me? No Way. What a live band that is.

Last Meshuggah, Opeth, Kreator etc, etc,, etc, the list is too long!!

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted June 30, 2010 10:26     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My first gig in November 1987, only with chilean bands, I was only 13, I was really scared!!! hahahaha...

Just like Igor said, Kreator in 1992 was an incredible night, first time an international band came down here, and the crowd was FUCKING WILD! The gig almost got canceled due to the violence of the chilean thrashers!

Slayer in 1998 at the Monsters of Rock, along with Anthrax and Helloween (Iron Maiden couldn't make it!), Slayer sounded so much better than their first gig in 1994, it was memorable!

Finally, Venom in 2009 was just GREAT. I know it's not the original line up, but the fact to watch Cronos singinig Welcome to Hell in front of me was enough!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noMsnvS2XJg

And of course, the best gig is the one that is going to happen (I HOPE!) in September

--------------------

I AM THE WAY!!!

Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted June 30, 2010 10:30     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shit, i forgot Carcass in 2008!!! They simply ruled!!!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=103058101

--------------------

I AM THE WAY!!!

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted June 30, 2010 11:13     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, st00pid me also forgot about the Carcass one ... AWESOME!

--------------------

dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted June 30, 2010 12:00     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oh my god the carcass reunion gigs were great. they blew my mind with how tight they still were after all these years! great show indeed!
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted June 30, 2010 12:46     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think i have 3 shows (so far)
El Corazon in Seattle in 2007: Weedeater, Wolves in the throne room, Earth and SunnO))).
Everything to minimalistic desert drone to the brown note all evening long.

Celtic Frost at Sweden Rock in 2006: A hungry Frost with perfect sound in a perfect setting.
Been listening to them since 1984, so that was like a dream coming true.

Voivod at Jalometalli 2009:
Getting a press pass by Blacky, and being able to capture the band that twisted my mind growing up was absolutely amazing. The fact that i met my wife, and tons of great friends from all over because of them and this site means a lot too

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted June 30, 2010 14:33     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, definitely the Voivod gig at Jalo, because it was more than just one show. It was a whole week hanging out with friends made because of a shared love of Voivod (and this site), plus an amazing show, which I spent hanging on for dear life to a corner of the fence right up front on Blacky's side of the stage.

Rammstein the second time I saw them in 2000, because I was right up front and the sound waves from the bass were so strong they almost knocked me off my feet. Literally.

Sunn0))) as Uffe mentioned. I have to admit I don't remember a damn thing about the other bands because Sunn turned my brains to goo.

And I have to mention the Giant Gig in the Garden at Ivö, where we got to see Harry and Nell and the Winchester Club play in some New Zealander's back garden on a little island in southern Sweden.

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted June 30, 2010 18:22     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's hard to nail it down to a handful, but...

1983: KISS
1987: Ramones
1990: Voivod
2007: The Police
2010: Porcupine Tree

Those are the moments that feel like yesterday.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 30, 2010 19:31     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Columbus OH: SCION Rockfest VOIFUCKINVOD... Meeting JY and Dan before the show....Greg yelling my name and saying hello. Then dream sequence begins...45 minutes later I'm helping Away carry a piece of equipment back to the bus. Smoke up...and gone.

NECROPHAGIST/ALARUM: Amazing first because it happened in my town. For some strange reason they decided to stop there. I was proud of the crowd for literally tearing the place apart.

CLASH OF THE TITANS: Alice in Chains opening, before stardom....Slayer....I was thrown over the fence straight into the security guys and somehow managed to not break my neck (I was much younger). Anthrax blowing everybody off the stage. Megadeth...right after their masterpiece...Rust in Peace...back when all these bands were still relevant and meant something.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted July 01, 2010 01:33     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just saw Iron Maiden last week, haha. Man, so many cool shows, but here are some of the real stand-outs for me.

My first real metal show.

Just a couple of months later, one of the most memorable shows of my life...

so great I had to do it again in 1986... Note this show is Halloween '86! Best Halloween ever.

Finally getting to see Voivod in January 1990 at the Moore Theatre in Seattle, with Soundgarden.

Seeing Rich Kids On LSD in Seattle in '94. They were amazing.

Of course, getting to see Celtic Frost in 2006 was amazing and easily one of the most memorable shows of my life. Spent the whole afternoon with Celtic Frost, St. Mike, Paul (aka Blackcloud), and friend Tony Reed. Then got to see the mighty CF lay waste to Seattle.

Blackcloud took this great pic.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted July 01, 2010 02:11     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's hard to choose, because in the 80's there was something every weekend...

Death Angel in 88 is something I'll never forget. Those KIDS were great!

Voivod last year in Antwerpen was a killer show. Meeting them after it was the cherry on the very big cake.
Btw: I never saw a bad Voivod gig.

Also the Triptykon gig in Essen and the Celtic Frost gig in Antwerpen(Paul mentioned). Roadburn this year with goosebumps during Trinacria playing Travel now.... Thors Hammer was something not easy to discribe. I guess like Megg wrote about SunO))) The beercoins travelled from one pocket to my other from the resonance And Triptykon. Not a superb gig, but meeting Tom and knowing how much this gig meanth to him was great to witness.

All the speed and thrash I saw in the old days at venues like Dynamo and Noorderlicht.

Getting a hole in my head from stagediving at a Destruction gig I wil never forget too..

The Aardschokdag Paul mentioned (btw: that was 87 and Cold Lake is released in 88 Paul )

Laaz Rockit trying to shoot some footage for a new video in 87. The crowd and band where so wild, they couldn't use anything of it and the film crew had some losts.... They still mention it's their best show ever.

I guess when I add this reply I will think of even more stuff

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

Mächina
VoivodFan
Member # 1095

posted July 01, 2010 21:46     Profile for Mächina   Email Mächina     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Another great one was, of course, Voivoooooooood! last year, at the Mezcal metal fest in Mexico City. They had some flaws in the sound, but their act went awesome, also Snake seemed like kinda drunk or something like that but it was pretty fun. Sincerely, very few of us knew and were excited about Voivod, but I think I like that way 'cause that means that not everyone can feel this band as we do.

oh right! I almost forget about carcass in 2008, simply awesome! Other great gigs in my life have been:
Sepultura in 2005 (my first real metal concert)
Judas Priest in 2005
Slayer in 2006
Kreator with Hammerfall in 2007
Sodom!!! 2007 (one of the most memorable gigs, I met them, they filmed the show for their next dvd... Onkel Tom gave us from his beer, they rised my friend's flags of Mexico and Germany)
Roger Waters in 2007 (playing The Dark Side of the Moon)
Heaven and Hell 2007 (oohhh I had the chance to see DIO live)
Radiohead 2009 (it really touched me)
Venom last year (wooooow!)

Another incredible memory I have was Deep Purple in 2008! That day also showed up Nile, I had to choose between the two concerts, but I didn't have to think too long to go for Purple and I made it right. That night was one of the best in my short life.

--------------------

Turn on the machine!!!

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted July 02, 2010 00:51     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I started working on this list several years ago. The bands (that I can remember) are all kept current, but I've been real slow filling in the details:

http://www.tangento.net/25MidList.html

I'd say a few of the most memorable were:

1. KISS/ Ted Nugent/ etc. - Anaheim Stadium, 1976 (Destroyer tour) - my first show ever

2. Led Zeppelin - Fabulous Forum, 1977 - 2 nights of unreal 3 hour sets

3. Voivod - Fender's Ballroom, 1987 - need I say more?

4. The Accused - Gilman St. Berkeley, 1991 - I wrote an article on this, it was so fucking memorable

5. Blue Öyster Cult/ AC/DC - Orange Show Speedway, 1980 - the best out of 15 BÖC shows I've seen; they opened with Black Blade and went straight into Monsters, just like the album. This was also AC/DC's first tour with Johnson on vocals. I've never been a huge fan, but this show was blistering.

There are just way too many great live music experiences to consider... it would take hours.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted July 02, 2010 02:10     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
I started working on this list several years ago. The bands (that I can remember) are all kept current, but I've been real slow filling in the details:

http://www.tangento.net/25MidList.html

I'd say a few of the most memorable were:

1. KISS/ Ted Nugent/ etc. - Anaheim Stadium, 1976 (Destroyer tour) - my first show ever

2. Led Zeppelin - Fabulous Forum, 1977 - 2 nights of unreal 3 hour sets

3. Voivod - Fender's Ballroom, 1987 - need I say more?

4. The Accused - Gilman St. Berkeley, 1991 - I wrote an article on this, it was so fucking memorable

5. Blue Öyster Cult/ AC/DC - Orange Show Speedway, 1980 - the best out of 15 BÖC shows I've seen; they opened with Black Blade and went straight into Monsters, just like the album. This was also AC/DC's first tour with Johnson on vocals. I've never been a huge fan, but this show was blistering.

There are just way too many great live music experiences to consider... it would take hours.

Wow. You really nailed some bands when they gave out their best stuff. Drools over Zeppelin, Kiss and Voivod

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted July 02, 2010 08:02     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

He Tangento, there are Bootleg LP's from this very show. I believe there are part 1 and 2. I used to have them but are still available....

--------------------

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted July 02, 2010 08:16     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[..

The Aardschokdag Paul mentioned (btw: that was 87 and Cold Lake is released in 88 Paul )

Huh huh, splunch!!

Yeah, it must have been the Into the pandemonium tour. Tom was wearing that poppy jacket. But a cool show that was!!

--------------------

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted July 03, 2010 08:36     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Probably Quireboys in the late 80's, because my little sister ran onstage and grabbed the singer, and had to be carried off kicking and screaming by security... hahahahaha

--------------------

String em up

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 03, 2010 18:31     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In no particular order, and I have no clue what the years were because I'm not getting off my ass to look for the tix.

KING CRIMSON - every time I've seen them

Porcupine Tree - The first few times starting in 2001 until the crowds got too big and I couldn't get a good spot on the floor.

Opeth / Porcupine Tree - need I say more? what a killer double billing

Opeth - Watershed tour... with my girlfriend who got into it, because she's cool like that

Slayer / Overkill - even though when Slayer hit the stage I could only see them when a stage diver took out the first few rows of people standing on the seats in front of me... the brutality and and how tight both bands were was off the hook

California Guitar Trio with Pat Mastellotto & Tony Levin - just a night of top notch musicians and my jaw on the floor

Adrian Belew - at Rams Head in Annapolis. tiny seated venue where I got to chat with Ade after the gig, get some rarities signed and show him my Discipline tattoo

Pearl Jam - every time I've seen them I have been blown away. They just know how to totally connect with the audience

Eddie Vedder - 2009 solo tour Baltimore Lyric Opera House. The Bob Dylan of my generation IMHO. Went with my GF who was equally floored by the performance.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan