my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Only Death is Real

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Only Death is Real
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 18, 2010 13:56     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This looks very good. Would love to see the photos even though I'm not a huge CF fan. Cosmo nails it when he talks about Fischer's 'unique' writing style:
http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2010/05/tom-gabriel-fischer-only-death-is-real-book/

|  IP: Logged
dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted May 18, 2010 19:53     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i got it and its pretty fantastic so far. i havent read all the way through it yet - but the large format and full color photos are really something to see. nobody tells a story like tom!
DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted May 19, 2010 02:08     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This book is great indeed. Not only what's inside, but also the book itself is really well done. The book was a hit at Roadburn, I read somewhere it was sold out completely. Maybe also because Tom was signing the books at Roadburn.

quote:
The only drawback to Only Death Is Real is the prose. Visitors to Fischer’s blog Delineations II are familiar with his flowery and sometimes vague writing style. That’s the case here. Events like rainstorms are treated with dramatic, Victorian language: “It only seems fitting that I should write these very lines as a brooding storm’s heavy, low clouds slowly make their way across the wooded hills in the distance and the deeply dark waters of Lake Zurich below, seemingly caressing the earth and inescapably enveloping anything and everything in their path.” Words are overused and often redundant; there’s no need to say things are “unique” and “revolutionary”.

That is wat I like about his writing. A bit old fashioned, but really nice to read.

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted May 19, 2010 16:40     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
wow - thats excellent!

thankfully a distributer who our shop (i work at a little record shop in town) gets stuff from had this and i got it the week it came out. i cant believe for how well made and good looking the book is that the price is fairly low.

for anyone who's having doubts, i'd say pick it up for sure! definately worth reading for all people interested in the formation of extreme metal that was to come.

Mächina
VoivodFan
Member # 1095

posted May 19, 2010 23:58     Profile for Mächina   Email Mächina     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As a true CF maniac, I knew of the existence of this writing, but as always I will have to settle for only read reviews of websites, as these things usually do not get very often these lands

--------------------

Turn on the machine!!!

dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted May 21, 2010 20:28     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well i think its only been out for a month or two now but if its something you really want i could get it and send it to you. we have a copy at our shop right now. let mw know and i could hook it up
Mächina
VoivodFan
Member # 1095

posted May 22, 2010 00:04     Profile for Mächina   Email Mächina     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow! they were serious when they told me that I would find the coolest people here thank you dotrot_thrash. Now, just let me raise the money. how much are we talking about?

--------------------

Turn on the machine!!!

dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted May 22, 2010 00:22     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i've sent you a private message about it
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted December 14, 2010 19:32     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Got this today

--------------------

String em up

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan