my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Maryland Death Fest (Page 6)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Author Topic: Maryland Death Fest
Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted May 30, 2011 15:45     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=158800

--------------------

I AM THE WAY!!!

|  IP: Logged
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 31, 2011 12:31     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Odelay!

Quick notes on Sat. and Sun.:
Aside from arriving tired as shite and doing my best to get acclimated to the heat and humidity in Maryland, I settled in after a couple of Yuenglings (Damn, I wish we had this beer in the NM)- and first off felt so completely UNDERDRESSED! Haha. I neglected to wear black (tragic, I know) and lick on my fake tats and pierce my nose, chin, lip and eyebrows. I may as well have broke out my clipboard, put on my white gloves showing up looking like Inspector Fuckin' General. Anyhoo. Saturday was tough, essentially waiting for Voivod to play at some later hour. I think I saw a band from Saudi Arabia but cannot remember their name. Nothing that stood out I guess. I'll let someone else talk about the Sat. bands since I ended up leaving at one point to check into my hotel where I had my cuppa hot tea, laid down and basically didn't have any inspiration to get the fuck back up and out of my room.

Until close to Voivod time that is. Back at MDF where the place smells of urine, blackened/grilled meats, sweaty balls and wet leather where Hail of Bullets rocked one of the two outdoor stages. Funny, but all I remember of their set is Martin talking about getting drunk and getting laid, at which point I thought - Hell, that's not a bad idear and found my way over the outdoor beer servers. By the way, there were lots of tents dotted here and there with folks selling all sorts of merch though I really didn't take a look-see until Sunday.

VOIVOD PLAYS: Finally, after who knows how many beers and wishing I could just get some rest, consumer and I made our way over to the slight incline to the right of one of the outdoor stages where we were supposed to meet HV, Mr. HV, SpeedDemon though by then they were already parked near the front of the stage - The Warriors of Ice appeared and proceeded to kill it with pretty much the same set as has been posted here and there recently from their huge tour. These guys sound tight, the set moves at fuckin' break neck speed and I swear EVERY DAMN SONG just ruled. The new one goes through all sorts of alleyways and I hadn't given it enough listens beforehand, and it surprised me how well it fit in with their older stuffs. Obviously, Forlorn was a bonus and for some reason Tornado just blew my mind, probably just the beer kicking in. I don't know. Good times.

Anyhoo, some band called Coroner played on Sunday. Huge GRIN from me! ! ! Skinless played what was to be their last gig and were sick. Malignant Tumour were a great surprise kicker of a band I'd never heard of. Lots of beach balls, plastic blow up inter tubes and a giant blow up pink penis flying through the air while they jammed - I loved their set.

And then this other band called GHOST closed out MDF indoors where the place was chock full of sweaty bastards. Hot and smelly indeed! By then, you could hear and feel the air deflating from our collective bellies knowing the End Was Near. The anticipation from all the sweaty bastards for this band to hurry the fuck up with their makeup and stage get ups was palpable. I'd never heard GHOST until they played Sunday. All I'd heard that day was, "they're a total Mercyful Fate rip off, and they rule". I had no clue. Out popped the Papally-attired singer, and seriously, how does one describe this band? Now that I have the disc, I'm still having a hard time describing their sound. Just know that their live sound far outshines what you hear on the disc. You couldn't have a better band close a metalfest. I'm pysched I was there to experience Ghost. I was not, however, bowled over by having 3 hours of sleep and having to wake up too damn early to get to the airport Monday morning. UGH!

No pics from me though. I figured others could take care of that. Great, just fuckin' killer to meet you HV and SpeeDDemoN! Til next time....

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 31, 2011 13:02     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great review, Luna! Funny, as always!

GHOST might be my favorite band at the moment, I'm playing the hell (!) out of their album in my satanic minivan (when I'm not jogging with "Warriors of Ice" in my earbuds).

consumer
VoivodFan
Member # 421

posted May 31, 2011 14:42     Profile for consumer   Email consumer     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MDF 2011 - only went for Sat and Sun this year… killer time again. But fucking hell it was hot! Picked up Miss Luna at the airport and made our way to the fest. Headed into the club, took a quick glance around the merch room, then walked outside and immediately ran into Head Villain + Mr. HV talking to Martin van Drunen. Cianide was first band of day that wanted to see so wandered around til the “action” started. Quick take on the sets watched on Saturday…

VOIVOD – Always deliver. Few come close to this greatness. All on VVF know this already of course. Crazy that this was already the sixth time had seen the Dan line-up in past two years and they just keep getting better. New song kills…. plus Forlorn. \m/.

HAIL OF BULLETS - van Drunen.. enough said. He’s becoming somewhat of a tradition at MDF playing the last several years with either HOB or Asphyx (or both). Both bands kill it... hell, bring them back every year and many would have no complaints. Met SpeeDDemoN after the set…super cool!

CIANIDE – Was already looking forward to seeing them but they were the surprise of the fest to me. Death metal meets Celtic Frost. Sick guitar tone… very Tom Warrior-ish. I dig them recorded but that tone doesn’t make it thru to the recordings for whatever reason. Whole performance by the band was very impressive. No frills just HEAVY.

IN SOLITUDE – Was really looking forward to these guys too and they didn’t disappoint. Bit of Mercyful Fate vibe with kinda NWOBHM styled vox. Great stuff.

NUNSLAUGHTER – Can’t say I’m the biggest NS fan musically.. not that I dislike it… but the inbetween song banter was fucking hilarious. Thumbs up.

-Only bands wanted to see on Sat that missed were DOOM (same set time as HOB) and INQUISITION (played last set of the night and was too wiped out after Voivod… beer count was getting high too haha).

On to Sunday… seemed like there were even more people around on Sunday… still brutally hot.. god damn the sun,,, bands watched..

CORONER – Played what felt like a long set for the fest which was fine by me! Covered a bit of everything. Was maybe expecting a bit more off early albums but love all the stuff. Where we were standing up on the hill the sound was insanely good and clear. The chops are still there and the songs are so great there’s just no way they couldn’t rule.

GHOST – Way into it. C’mon.. they have an evil pope for Satan’s sake!!!

SKINLESS – was actually planning to see Orange Goblin at same set time but Luna and I decided to see them instead. A band that had always seen name of and read about but was not too much familiar with the music. Last show ever for them apparently.. and they played like it. Ferocious. Really dug them!!

REPUGNANT – thumbs up.

MALIGNANT TUMOUR – knew nothing of these guys but totally cool and fun live set. Horns high to them!

So that’s it… can’t wait til next year.. no pics from me either as I didn’t want to keep up with a camera. Know there are prob tons around on Returntothepit and other places. Only lameness of the fest was the heat, lack of sleep, and that our bud Tomsawyerfam got sick and couldn’t make it out. Also heard after Ghost there was a teargas incident and some security stuff went down. Didn’t witness any of it. The security I’ve seen historically at MDF has been for the most part really cool and laid back compared to most events of this kind. Anyway can read a thread here if interested - http://www.smnnews.com/board/showthread.php?t=246671

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted June 01, 2011 07:47     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aww, Luna!

Thank goddess your review was not in smell-o-vision!

You were wise to chill at the hotel instead of forcing yourself to suffer through festival mayhem waiting for Voivod if you weren't in mood.

I'm glad you got a great show to make up for the heat, humidity, pungent stenches and long trip.

It is one of the beautiful mysteries of live music when one specific song unexpectedly turns out to be the standout and just *make* the show, which in your case was 'Tornado'-- love it!

I missed Ghost at this year's Roadburn, but here is some vid footage that you might enjoy:
http://www.roadburn.com/2011/05/ghost-roadburn-2011-qualitly-fan-filmed-video-footage-on-line/

(and the 'qualitly' typo is not mine, dammit! still have to fix that...)

Enjoy!
-Leslie

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted June 01, 2011 07:54     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Consumer -- interesting thread about various alleged violent outbursts on the part of security and crowd alike. I'm out of the US subculture loop and find myself intrigued by the mention of 'train hopping crusty kids' in some of the posts. What is that all about?!
VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted June 01, 2011 08:26     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry, another question for the MDF-ers:

I was just watching a clip from the Coroner set, and it looks like there are cars whizzing by during the show, not only behind the stage, but right above the crowd, too...WTH?!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 01, 2011 11:29     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the link Leslie. I watched lots of live footage I found on youtube of Ghost yesterday since I really could not see them from where I was standing. Plus, I'm just too damn short!

The venue is right underneath a freeway and next to a couple of streets so yeah, cars zooming by all the time. IF I ever go back to MDF, I will most def book a room at that Holiday Inn Express across the street. By the way the Inner Harbor there in Baltimore was pretty damn cool. Only a few blocks away from my hotel. There was a huge Lacrosse tournament going on there and a gamer's convention, so there were odd mixes of sweaty ball stenched metallers, young athletes and geeky gamers going in/out of elevators. Hilarious.

--------------------

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted June 01, 2011 18:28     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
245 pics from Maryland Death Fest courtesy of Rev. Aaron. http://bit.ly/kZRTAI Pretty much no pics of Away unfortunately, bad vantage point.

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted June 01, 2011 20:52     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I miss the sunshine and nachos already!
Awesome weekend, yet again, was great to finally meet Luna after all these years of online sweary cuntitude, haha.
Best bands for me - Voivod and Coroner(obviously), Inquisition, Aura Noir, Hail of Bullets, Nuclear Assault (who I hadn't held out much hope for as they were awful last time I saw them), Ghost and Neurosis. Malignant Tumour and Cianide were the best surprise bands as I hadn't bothered checking them out beforehand. Buzzoven also managed to be fairly awesome despite the toothless singer being so pissed he could barely stand.
Highlight of the weekend was probably cornering Coroner backstage and forcing them to sign the Water Pistol of Death. They were very afraid.
We met so many cool people including of course the Voivod lads, massive thank you to Blacky and Away for letting us have their passes for the Sunday! Hails!!!
Thanks to Tim and Kevin as well for the most excellent cds!!
Oh yeah and I accidently stepped on Scott Carlson's foot. I am such a menacing cunt.

--------------------

String em up

dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted June 01, 2011 22:59     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks for the recaps, guys! i can only imagine how insanely fun this show was. so many great bands in one place!

if anyone finds more pix online they should post them here. i've been searching around for some and there havent been many so far. i noticed the lack of Away on returntothepit...sad.

and HV - that rules about your squirt gun getting a coroner signing! haha! you need to frame that bitch in a giant clear box and put it on display! neato also about the passes. i guess Away isnt such a bad guy after all!

consumer
VoivodFan
Member # 421

posted June 02, 2011 00:13     Profile for consumer   Email consumer     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Leslie, am by no means very educated on crusty culture over here in the US. But the guy in that thread was probably making a joke at their expense. Some of the crusties that come to the fest are "wandering" kids who just crash where they can. In the past, many would not even buy tix.. and just listen to the music and sleep in the parking lot.. though now security seems to try to eliminate that. Also the fact that many panhandle or dumpster dive for their meals and arguably have questionable bathing and grooming habits. So the guy was probably equating them with "bums" or trainhoppers whatever. I think many of those kids just dress the crust part and enjoy that type of music and some of the politics or belief systems that may go along with it as opposed to really having no place to go or stay.. or rejecting wherever it is they could go or stay. Just seem like another subculture of non mainstream music fans. Most seem pretty cool.

Someone on the board may know more or be able to add but hope that somewhat answers your post.

consumer
VoivodFan
Member # 421

posted June 02, 2011 00:15     Profile for consumer   Email consumer     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"sweaty ball stenched metallers" ...haha.. this makes me want to laugh and gag at the same time.
VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted June 02, 2011 02:40     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, Luna, that gives new meaning to "playing in traffic" (ba dum dum). Jocks, gamers *and* metalheads? - fragrant indeed.

Thanks, consumer! I found a gallery of albums documenting a slice of trainhopping crusty life, some of the photos are really beautiful: http://www.pbase.com/artandrevolution/ride_dirty_2004

The crusty part seems more or less the same all around the world, but the freight train angle is fascinating to me.

HV - sun & nachos: in short supply in London *lol*
Sounds like you rocked out & suitably terrorised people of many nationalities.
And now that old Vio-Lence song is stuck in my head...with a slight lyrical adaptation...

"Cornering the Coroner!"

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 02, 2011 10:24     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 317537:

"Cornering the Coroner!"

I quite liked that one too. By the way, Coroner were so badass. It was kinda surreal and it seemed the crowd were all in some sort of awe.

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 02, 2011 10:29     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
By the way, I've been blocked from fcukbook at work. AND, since I am a poor assed shitfucker and have no computer at home AND am also the owner of a Dumb Phone...I have no access to photos/running commentary. WAHHHHHHHHH!

--------------------

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted June 02, 2011 12:05     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reports (smelly ones as well ... ). Glad that our ambassadors at MDF had a blast; that lineup was amazing!!!

--------------------

...I wish I knew the one who knows..

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted June 02, 2011 17:53     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh by the way, don't ever fly with Wefly.com. Fuckers completely failed to notify us that our flight home had been cancelled, despite having both my phone numbers and email. So we spent the night sleeping in the airport lounge. Useless CUNTS!!!!!

--------------------

String em up

dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted June 02, 2011 18:46     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WFT?! did they give you anything as a "we suck and are sorry" gesture such as free flight or something?
DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted June 03, 2011 02:36     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reports! Hmmm the smelly part did give my coffee a bad tast this morning....

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted June 03, 2011 17:55     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Couldn't get hold of the cunts, luckily the airline people put us on another flight, as a few other people had missed the flight & said the agency had done the same thing to them.

--------------------

String em up

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted June 03, 2011 22:34     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Matching tats!!

another Voivod tat

Mr Villain menaces Away

Me getting menaced

More menacing going on

--------------------

String em up

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted June 03, 2011 22:36     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Tim menaces

Me menacing Nick

Nick being menacing

Me getting menaced by Scott Carlson

--------------------

String em up

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted June 03, 2011 22:44     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dan is a menace.

Van Drunen is a menace too.

Corpsegrinder is a bigger menace.

Me menacing Blasphemer.

--------------------

String em up

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted June 04, 2011 04:58     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, wow and wow. Waht a reviews and what a shots. Im so glad this forum is alive and well. Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan