my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » new recordings: Blacky / jason (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: new recordings: Blacky / jason
x-ray mirror
VoivodFan
Member # 1087

posted March 22, 2010 12:17     Profile for x-ray mirror   Email x-ray mirror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
in this interview, http://www.examiner.com/x-10303-Austin-Metal-Music-Examiner~y2010m3d20-Metal-Thought-An-interview-with-Away-Langevin-of-Voivod
Away talks about the new music and where Jason ends up with Blacky back in the group. It got me thinking... After seeing Blacky play last week, it would be a shame to see anyone but him playing bass on the new tunes. Obviously its a touchy issue, and this is just one cat's opinion, and nothing against Jason. Blacky just has the sound (and the Blower bass). Seriously, what's more Voivodian than that?

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 22, 2010 14:46     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No issue at all.

Jason has put Voivod back on the map and kept it alive in the period!! Much respect to him forever.

Now that Blacky is back, he should be continuing the Voivod saga now and in the future. He is the real Voivod bas player!

Period.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted March 22, 2010 16:56     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What he said.

Jason is a great bass player and without him Voivod wouldn't be where they are now but 3/4 of the original line-up is better than 2/4.

Maybe they can keep Jason on cowbell or something.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted March 22, 2010 17:00     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm VERY grateful for Jason's past involvement with Voivod, which (I've read) actually resurrected the band from disintegrating after Eric's injuries. Without Jason's involvement, we likely would not have gotten the last 3 albums at all. But having seen them with him on the last US tour w Sepultura (another band that really should be changing its name), Jason's playing was tepid, nothing even close to Blacky or Eric's output. Considering how tenuous Voivod's continuation initially was with Dan (who is proving to be a worthy soldier), would people even consider it to be "Voivod" if there was no Piggy *and* no Blacky?

Best case scenario, I'm hoping for a new album with Dan and Blacky, which could possibly be considered Voivod.

Short of that, if it's with Jason, it would be sacrilege to call it "Voivod." But that's just my opinion, no more or less valid than anyone else's, you can like it or lump it.

Humbug,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted March 22, 2010 17:26     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yah, I'll second that.

--------------------

String em up

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 22, 2010 19:01     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jason is an honorable man I don't think he will dissolve this band, it's VoiVod with Blacky...

I am always jonesin for something new from VoiVod because I am very choosy of accepting new music (I only have limited room for the finest wines in my racks)

where was Jason when the guys said "to the death"

having said that, and even seeing this Blacky/Jason thing poised in a topic... It serves to add insult to the injury already received by the loss of Piggy.

/maybe I just take it to the extremes too much.

x-ray mirror
VoivodFan
Member # 1087

posted March 22, 2010 19:17     Profile for x-ray mirror   Email x-ray mirror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blacky is just really damn good. what a player.
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 22, 2010 22:56     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool interview, thanks man!

This all sounds good to me and obviously the chemistry with the current line-up is intact, so they should go with what is naturally evolving or it won't work. I severely hope the Snake/Blacky/Mongrain/Away lineup records becase it would be a real shame if they didn't.

Too good to just tour the oldies. Not that I am complaining.... Ok, wait I am complaining. Come to Seattle with these drool-worthy setlists, please. Then I will stop my fuss-mussing.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 23, 2010 10:29     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Remember VOIVOD was still VOIVOD without Snake & Blacky. If it looks like, moves like, smells like, tastes like, and sounds like VOIVOD than call it VOIVOD. Just don't let the vision die. I'm just thrilled they are continuing the journey, no matter who's on the trip.

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted March 23, 2010 10:54     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After finally reading Away's book, if this continues he'll have to print another cool art book to continue his visual story. Loved that book btw.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 23, 2010 15:02     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
After finally reading Away's book, if this continues he'll have to print another cool art book to continue his visual story. Loved that book btw.

Yeah, the book is awesome! A good read and and one of the coolest items I own. Just got Tom G's Hellhammer book in the mail and am anxious to dive into that as well. It's absolutly beautiful.

--------------------

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted March 23, 2010 15:33     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I read a lot of different opinions about this on the web, but the last time it's turning in another direction. I would be glad if they record new music and would be even more glad when they do it as Voivod.

I feel the same like David wrote. I saw the original line up, the without Blacky line ups and now the current line up and I'm sure, absolutely sure that it was Voivod what I saw all those times. With or without tons of beer...

About Jason, I'm glad what he did for Voivod, imo he put them back on the map and that is good for the band and their fans.

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

SmedHed
VoivodFan
Member # 1041

posted March 23, 2010 17:24     Profile for SmedHed   Email SmedHed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Angel Rat, Voivod, Outer Limits, and Katorz contain the most relevant Voivod material.

The older albums are too dated. I love them but who the hell listens to old Slayer, Megadeth or Metallica anymore?

Even thrash has a shelf life.

Thats why a live show must have new set lists and DVD's must have new material.
Maiden and Metallica repeat the same songs every tour and its a bore! Rock in Rio by Maiden is great because of the new material.

Nostalgia acts ARE redunant! Bands must always progress and showcase their new sounds. Even the mighty Frost material is 30 years old and continuing Apollyon Sun would've been more creative.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted March 23, 2010 18:16     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
every time i read this thread title, i keep looking forward to the Jason/ Blacky dueling bass guitars E.P. dropping in 2011.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted March 23, 2010 21:04     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SmedHed:
[qb]Angel Rat, Voivod, Outer Limits, and Katorz contain the most relevant Voivod material.

The older albums are too dated. I love them but who the hell listens to old Slayer, Megadeth or Metallica anymore?

Voivod transcends time and space. Always have, always will.

In fact they're doing right now....BEHIND YOU!

OMG, LOOK OUT!!!

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted March 23, 2010 21:52     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SmedHed:

I the hell still listen to old thrash, every day in fact. I don't like anything Slayer did after RIB, I don't like anything Metallica did without Cliff, and I don't like anything Megadeth did after Peace Sells. I'm not saying that the later stuff is no good, just that I don't like it. As for Voivod, I listen to RRROOOAAARRR just as much as Phobos, but way more than Angel Rat. Outer Limits is excellent, and Katorz, well, let's just say that I haven't heard it since about three months after it was released. Does that make your choices any less "valid?" Nope. Likewise, what's "valid" is what YOU give validity to. I love thrash, and miss the "bash-factor" when it's not there. How thrilled I was when Negatron came out, a huge shift following TOL!

All the best,
PAULIE

Now playing: Nunslaughter.

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 23, 2010 23:58     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fuckin' A right I still listen to old thrash!!! Why the fuck wouldn't I? It still gets the adrenalin pumping like it did in the 80's. Good music is good music no matter how old it is. If old school thrash wasn't still relevant all these new bands wouldn't be trying to copy it, and all the old school bands that are still kickin' it have done their best new work by modeling it after their classic material.

--------------------

yawn

SpeeDDemoN
VoivodFan
Member # 669

posted March 24, 2010 00:04     Profile for SpeeDDemoN   Email SpeeDDemoN     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to agree with the two posts before...for me the best voivod albums are the first 5...I preety much love it all...but the first 5 are just so amazing !! as for old school speed/thrash...i couldnt live without it ! 1983 to 1990 are some of the best years for metal music and music in general I think ! still gets me goin every day...

--------------------

only flowers remain...flowers to step on...flowers to burn...

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted March 24, 2010 19:03     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hahaha Smedhed is mah favourite troll.

--------------------

String em up

SmedHed
VoivodFan
Member # 1041

posted March 25, 2010 11:38     Profile for SmedHed   Email SmedHed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Music gets stale.

Why do you think Megadeth/Exodus/Testament is doing 2000 seat theatres?

They're riding on old stuff. The bands new stuff is not good.

Blabbermouth should be full of streaming clips of new material if bands can't get their new stuff played.

Really tho, come out of the 80's guys.

Ravenous Medicine thrown in for good measure but not whole sets.

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 25, 2010 11:45     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Really tho, come out of the 80's guys.

I couldn't DISagree more......

This is the shit. Those bands laid it down in those days for sure. I listen to 80's tunes every single day. The old Voivod albums are the best.

But this is all MY opinion. Off course.

I listen to new bands mostly if they play Thrashmetal.

--------------------

SmedHed
VoivodFan
Member # 1041

posted March 25, 2010 11:56     Profile for SmedHed   Email SmedHed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ozzy's name is still being used to market Ozzfest but seriously, is Ozzy a draw still?

Ozzy's classic albums are so dated it should scare concert goers away.

Listening to oldies at home once in a blue moon is cool, but new sounds need to emanate from those concert halls, new vibes.

Rather than creating new legions of fans, Ozzfest, Metallica, Megadeth are stagnating the new blood.

consumer
VoivodFan
Member # 421

posted March 25, 2010 12:15     Profile for consumer   Email consumer     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wtf?... there's no expiration date on music.
tsawyerfam
VoivodFan
Member # 992

posted March 25, 2010 16:26     Profile for tsawyerfam   Email tsawyerfam     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WARNING DOUCHE ALERT!!! WARNING DOUCHE ALERT!!!

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 25, 2010 16:58     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Rather than creating new legions of fans, Ozzfest, Metallica, Megadeth are stagnating the new blood.

Haha, what a totally lame statement. I could go on and on as to why you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about, but since we can all see you are trolling... I won't bother tearing into you.

Enjoy your Shadows Fall CDs, your Roland Emmerich films, and your scratch'N'sniff wall art.

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan