my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The continuing saga...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The continuing saga...
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 11, 2010 19:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've always thought it was cool when bands continue the story of a song onto different albums. Not just one album that's a theme album but songs that appear on different albums through their career that continue story.

My hands down favorite is OVERKILL's "Overkill" saga which includes: Overkill - Overkill 2 (the nightmare continues) - Overkill 3 (under the influence) - E.vil N.ever D.ies - Overkill 5 (the brand)
It was interesting that after using their first 4 albums to tell the story they waited until 2007's Immortalis album to revisit the theme, but I was thrilled that they did. I love the way the guitar riff is altered but still identifiable as the Overkill theme, and when all 5 songs are put together it's killer. It would be cool for them to do the entire story during a live performance.

Other bands who have done this are Iron Maiden with "Charlotte the Harlot" & "22 Acacia Avenue". Metallica with "The Unforgiven 1, 2 , & 3". RUSH has the 'Fear Trilogy' which is actually 4 songs: The Enemy Within part 1 - The Weapon part 2 - Witch Hunt part 3 - Freeze part 4.

So those are the main ones that I can think of, but I'm sure there's some others out there that I'm unaware of or forgot about.

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted February 12, 2010 06:09     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can think of MEGADETH with "Hangar 18" and "Return to Hangar"...

this was much helpful indeed because I recorded them at L'Atelier in Luxembourg on 18 February 2005 so I named my bootleg "Atelier, 18"...
when they played the same club in February of 2008 I didnt have the faintest doubt that I'd name the second boorleg "Return to Atelier"...

not meaning to topic-jack your post Schroeder...

alright, you said MAIDEN, there also is "The Prisoner" and "Back in the Willage"...

I would mention EDGE OF SANITY with "Crimson" and "Crimson II", both concept-songs of around 30 minutes each...

oh, and I always kinda figured that the song "Polaroids" was a pendant to "Warriors of Ice"...

--------------------

I hear the things you say but tell me...
what do you mean?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 12, 2010 08:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I totally forgot about Hanger 18 & Return to Hangar when I posted this but it was one I had in mind when I was thinking of this topic last week, and when I made a 3cdr compilation of Megadeth starting from Killing is my Buisness to Endgame, I placed the Hanger tunes together.

--------------------

yawn

Foot
VoivodFan
Member # 60

posted February 24, 2010 11:28     Profile for Foot   Email Foot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How about Cygnus X-1 by Rush, later continued on Hemispheres? Always dug that story. Can't believe Voivod wasn't mentioned though - too obvious? I just wish one of the guys in the band could point out which songs are part of the Voivod character's story. I've always wanted to put together a playlist that features the whole epic from "Voivod" to "Phobos" (maybe with "Polaroids" as a coda?).
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 24, 2010 12:11     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
King Crimson - Larks Tounge part 473 or something?!!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 25, 2010 22:47     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
King Crimson - Larks Tounge part 473 or something?!!

LTIA tells of the continuing tale of a guitarist who keeps pushing the boundaries and can still shred axmen more than 1/2 his age. No lyrics, but that what I think it's all about.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan