my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Scorpions are ending their career

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scorpions are ending their career
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 24, 2010 12:20     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've never been a huge fan, but did enjoy them back in the day (pre-thrash years. Their early and mid early material was great at the time. Blackout, Animal Magnetism, etc. Once they had their first huge hit, "Rock You Like a Hurricane", like most bands, they seemed to try to be more radio friendly... sometimes it worked, sometimes it sucked shit. Love at First Sting was the last release I purchased from them (although I still might have my free copy of World Wide Live on vinyl. I actually got to meet some of the guys at a Concrete Marketing party back in the late 80's at the Baltimore Trade Tower. Cool guys. I had them sign my Blackout cd and chatted with them for a while. Maybe it's just a way to sell more tickets. If people think they won't get a chance to see them again, they'll go to their "final tour"... KISS does this kinda thing every 5 years or less...

Anyway, here's the short story.

BERLIN – The German rock band Scorpions is bringing down the curtain on a career spanning more than four decades.
The band, known for its early 1990s hit "Wind of Change" among others, said on its Web site Sunday that "we agree we have reached the end of the road."
It said it would end its career with a final album — "Sting In The Tail," to be released in March — and a tour that will start in Germany in May and take it across the world "over the next few years."
Guitarist Rudolf Schenker founded the band in Hannover in 1965. Singer Klaus Meine joined a few years later. Both men are 61

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted January 24, 2010 17:01     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like the Uli Jon Roth years. 'Fly To The Rainbow', 'In Trance', 'Virgin Killer', 'Tokyo Tapes'. 'Lovedrive' and 'Blackout' are cool too. I don't care much for later stuph.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 24, 2010 18:41     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I forget how good the early early days are. I have those on vinyl. maybe I need to spin them and decide if they are cd worthy.

--------------------

yawn

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted January 24, 2010 21:39     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This sucks...not because I really listen to these guys anymore, but because of the excellent memories.

My friends and I went to see Ratt and the Scorps in '85...but first, we sat in the car with a case of Budweiser, getting drunker and drunker, throwing empties out the sunroof as they got slurped down, and peeing out the side window. Then, totally sloshed, staggering in to see the concert. I remember some people throwing punches around up front, and Ratt's lead singer shouting "HEY, no fighting at a Ratt gig!". Then the main event - Scorpions! And that was the best live performance I'd ever seen, by any band.

Later on, of course, I'd go to lots more concerts, with arguably better musicianship, etc...but that one concert stands out in my mind as a helluva good time, at a really fun part of my life.

I salute you, Scorpions - and thanks for the memories.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted January 24, 2010 23:30     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As a kid, I wasn't a big fan, but as I got older, I really grew to appreciate their early to mid period output and now find myself listening to them right along with my old staples like Sabbath, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and the likes...

I tip my had in respect to a career, well done, whether they were boldly cutting a path for future metal acts in the 70s or boring the piss outta me in the 80s with Big City Nights.

It really is a signifigant metal moment...

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 24, 2010 23:30     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I had no idea the band was formed back in 1965... the year this future metal head was born. A 45 year career is something I am sure they are proud of. Most bands never come close that kind of longevity.

--------------------

yawn

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 25, 2010 11:09     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
saw them in the late 80s at Monsters of Rock and they still had it live, even if their recorded output was sketchy by then.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

warcorpse
VoivodFan
Member # 1

posted January 25, 2010 15:26     Profile for warcorpse   Email warcorpse     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I never cared for the Scorpions, but I did like MSG. ...Into the Arena, Captain Nemo.
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 26, 2010 00:17     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love the Scorpions. Saw them on the Love At First Sting tour in '84. I love all the records up til World Wide Live too. The later stuff was a bit too "global" for me.

I heard they will tour the US in the summer, so I'm hoping to see them again. Even if you don't care for their music, their longevity is staggering, considering the ebb and flow of popularity in their genre across 45 years.

"You keep me burning!"

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted January 26, 2010 23:34     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I loved the Scorps, even before the first drive or the first sting.

"Sails of Charon" still rules!!!!

NOW......

GET OUT-TA ZEE VAY!!!

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 31, 2010 23:48     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've always loved their song "Make it Real", it had a killer verse vocal melody, and of course the chorus rocked as well!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan