my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Voivod plays Wacken!! (Page 7)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Author Topic: Voivod plays Wacken!!
Mächina
VoivodFan
Member # 1095

posted August 12, 2010 23:55     Profile for Mächina   Email Mächina     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good pics at your f**ckbook H.
The Ripping Headaches video is great!
...what was the complete setlist?

--------------------

Turn on the machine!!!

|  IP: Logged
DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted August 13, 2010 01:46     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mächina:
...what was the complete setlist?

I'm not 100% sure, but this is what I remember

Voivod
The Unknown Knows
The Prow
Ripping Headaches
Tribal Convictions
Global Warning
Overreaction
Experiment
Nothingface
Brain Scan
Nuclear War
Astronomy Domine

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

Mächina
VoivodFan
Member # 1095

posted August 14, 2010 02:16     Profile for Mächina   Email Mächina     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wooow! They played Experiment!
Thanks dude!

yeah, this set is almost like the one they played last year here in Mexico, except for some songs...

--------------------

Turn on the machine!!!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 14, 2010 12:37     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great stuff from everybody, looks like you people had a real blast!

It would have been great to be in Wacken but it wasn't possible by any means. At least Voivod is coming South next month.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted August 15, 2010 06:19     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Another good thing with Wacken. All the great items you bring back home for everyday use:

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 16, 2010 10:56     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hahaha, excellent.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted August 19, 2010 09:59     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Setlist from the London gig!

--------------------

String em up

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted August 23, 2010 16:12     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Must have been one hell of an experience. Tnx for the pix and stories.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted October 06, 2010 13:07     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, I was reading again this old thread and just realized that I hadn’t posted my impressions from this memorable time. I know these are old news already, but for the record I still want to leave my experience written in here:

It all started bad, very bad by finding out that my luggage had been lost by the airline cunts when we arrived to Berlin, after 28 hours travelling from Chile (with a long stop in Madrid in between). We arrived there late at night and had our train to Wacken the next morning, so, no chances to have my luggage back for Wacken. My berlinese friend provided me some emergency clothing, but the BIG issue was that our tent was on the lost backpack (as well as all of my Voivod T-Shirts, booklets to get signed, etc.)

When we arrived to Wacken Mr. Nuclear Vampire + Mr. Vroomfondel were there to welcome us on a lovely sunny day. Vroom had kindly taken care of finding a Wacken tent for us (we had spoken earlier by phone). I’ll always be grateful for that, my friend! Then we met the rest of the crew: Megz, H and his cool friends Scott and Cat. The Nuclear Vampire together with his bro and friends were camping less than 100 mts from our camp (that at some beer-fueled moment of clarity got baptized the “Poop Camp”). Later Head Villain + Mr. Villain and DBC with his infamous “Dutch Dynamite” paid a couple visits to the camp, so there you had them: 7 VVFers + friends from all around the world sharing some beers and laughs on the same grass.

What can I say? … great people that seemed to be long time friends, lots of beers, lots of moonshine, lots of childish humour, lots of poop (on a truck)… As I said there, I believe this was one the greatest experiences ever for me. Put on top of that having seen Voivod play a great show, meeting them at the side of the stage afterwards… at times I guess I kinda EXPLODED from so much awesomeness … you know …I was a lil bit too happy and drunk I guess, so if I got a lil’ bit obnoxious at times … sorry guys!! …haha.

After Wacken me and my pal Luis continued travelling around Europe for 3 weeks more. We saw Voivod playing a great show again at Brutal Assault on the very middle first row (1,5 mts from Snake-unlike on Wacken, the pit was quite narrow); met many cool places and people; BUT we were always missing the Wacken gang; and always thought that Wacken had definitely been the highlight of our trip.

I’ll always have the best memories (and thank Korgull photo cams exist, otherwise my rememberances would be far less): from the atomsphere we had, the camaraderie we shared, etc. I’m sure this won’t be my last festival trip, but being the first it will always have a special place in my heart.

Finally I’d like to thank the following:

John Retardy
The Poop Truck
Swedish Hot Girl (H’s future-ex-girlfriend)
Potato Rain Drummer
Chicken Fight Guitarist
Our Swedish Neighbours with their everlasting moonshine and tent race

Damn it, what a great time! Miss you people!

PS: I have the pics on my FB profile... wanna see them? just add me!

--------------------

...I wish I knew the one who knows..

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 06, 2010 16:08     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shit Igor... that was beautiful man! The memories had started to fade, but that brought them crashing back. Without doubt one of the greatest experiences of my useless existence was hanging out in a field with you guys. Some people I know are talking about going to Wacken in 2011. I don't think I wanna go... it won't be the same. There was gold in them there hills!

Do you remember the camp site vocal harmonies? Heaviest sound this side of Phobos!

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted October 06, 2010 16:42     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HAHAHAHA... I had forgotten about those... that was COOL!!! ... Fuck, we should have video-recorded IT ALL (reality T.V. style), as I'm sure many cool moments are missing.

The other day Luis was showing me some videos he did and it was like a Deja Vu... I have a couple as well... seems like every time I was stupid-drunk I decided it was a good idea to pull out the camera and do a video (I don't have a single video on which I look/sound like a normal, average smart human being... maybe I'm not ..hahaha). I have some nightime ones -without nightshot of course-... the result: a BLACK screen and voices of drunk guys being unable to communicate between themselves. Priceless.

aahhhh... the memories...

PS: I'll try to push lazy ass Luis to upload his Wacken pics on facebook.

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted October 06, 2010 17:07     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiigggööörrr:

(I don't have a single video on which I look/sound like a normal, average smart human being... maybe I'm not ..hahaha).

That would most likely be me as well. Thanks Igor for the story. You are a great writer by the way. And of course the visual diaries of all of you combined (which I've looked at over and over just cuz I FEEL how much fuckin' fun you were having) tell much of the story. But having the voices in there is so damn cool as well. And I get that future Wackens will never be the same, but I still want to go even if it's just me alone and drunk and unable to find my way back to my tent...which I am positive would happen. Or, I'd end up in one of those pics like all of those passed out Brutal Assault drunks...HAHA! Those are fuckin' priceless.

So, thanks for the words and bringing this thread back to life. It all still makes ME very sickeningly happy to live through your stories, pictures and videos of Swedish tent races and wondering just what the fuck "Poop Camp" meant at the time you christianed it that.

Cheers man! And that pic of you with the Beck's and the Wacken booklet is still my very favourite. Would love to hang out with you and get wasted sometime.

--------------------

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted October 06, 2010 17:46     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, a lil' bit more memorabilia:

With the panoramic pictures from the Wacken site, plus careful and close inspection of the Wacken pics from all the VVFs, I'm positive that these are the locations of our camps. I cannot recall exactly which was Nuk Vamp's tent, but I'm sure it was somewhere over there (can you help me here dude?) and we didn't have the chance to visit DBC's camp, so I can't locate it.

On the poop camp circle, the yellow spot on the left would be Megz and Uffe's tent, while the black one on the right would be ours. There are also 2 big white tents on the left, the lower one is the swedish camp.

EDIT: Damn it, photobucket resized the image, so it lost some definition... still you can save the image to look it closer.

--------------------

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted October 06, 2010 18:12     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
@ Luna:

Well, actually if I have to think of a bad thing of the whole experience, that would be your absence. You were dearly missed and we all would have loved to have you there sharing beers, crap-talk and laughs. Maybe next time... you never know. I'm not discarding the chance to repeat the experience next year (at least seems like the nuclear vampire is willing to go), or maybe in 2012 (right before this world comes to an end...huh-huh). Of course it might not be the same, but if I have half the fun I had in 2010, it will be still worth the long trip.

--------------------

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted October 07, 2010 02:03     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That brings back some memories!

For me Wacken was 3 days balancing between soberness and being pissed. I remember the first night not able to find our campside and only seeing drunk zombies having the same problem as I did I remembered I had to cross the two big Mad Max feeling camp sites, but that was not an easy task. People have playgrounds, discos and karaokes and you could not pass without doing a game or song and drink with them....

Nice touch of a lot of people were the invitations to their camp and/or tents when I couldn't find my way..... I was glad the mysterious and unknown Wacken girl with the car brought me back to my camp entrance (Wacken people rule!!).

I remember the "meeting up phonecalls" with Vroom before getting there. Especially the one call I had a "group grunt greet" from the poop camp cheering me a warm welcome. I was driving 180kmh's on the German Autobahn guys and couldn't stop laughing....

Me, and my two friends, had a great time and I was very pleased meeting you guys and liked enjoing our band Voivod together.

The whole Wacken thing was special and I still have big time fun thinking about those 3 great days! Says somebody who never liked multiple day festivals (even Dynamo)!

Btw our tent was on Igors picture in the right upper corner (next to the disco tent )....

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted October 07, 2010 09:00     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DBC:
I remember the first night not able to find our campside and only seeing drunk zombies having the same problem as I did

Yeah, I was one of those lost zombies as well ... after seeing Maiden and Gojira I got totally lost, drunk as shit, and with a huge sandwich in my hand dripping sauce up to my elbow (seems like that was the official "missing zombies" night). Funny thing considering how close we were from the festival area.

quote:
(Wacken people rule!!).

Yep, the atmosphere at the festival is just unbelievable. So many friendly people... cool as shit.

quote:

I remember the "meeting up phonecalls" with Vroom before getting there. Especially the one call I had a "group grunt greet" from the poop camp cheering me a warm welcome.

We surely welcomed you John Retardy-style ... I remember that!

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted October 09, 2010 13:39     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Igor.

This is great getting your different perspectives. Thanks again for sharing.

--------------------

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 10, 2010 15:12     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shit, man I can't stop thinking about what an amazing time I had with everyone there. Me and Don are going next year for sure. This time we're heading to Copenhagen for a couple of days to meet up with my buddies from Metalized magazine, then coming down on the party bus with them. We'll be camping in the same spot. Our tent is actually right under your green circle, right next to the reddish one. That was the german guy with big legs. I think his name was David.

I tried to record some drunken chatter, but obviously was too drunk to operate my phone to do so. The vocal harmonies were something to behold...OOOOOOoooooooo....OOOOOOOooooooo!

So many good memories, everything from watching people fall into the piss ditch, to Swedish Moonshine, tent races, writing songs for the new Obituary album (ala Retardy), it just goes on. Next year won't be the same, coz like you said this first one was really special, but 2011 is gonna kick ass too.

Now let's just hope Voivod is on the bill again!

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 10, 2010 15:17     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh and as I'm a lazy arse, add me on Facefuck if you want to see my piccies. Name's Glen. Glen McPhail. From Winnipeg. Dig it.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 10, 2010 15:51     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Y'know what... I'm thinking of maybe doing Hellfest next year. Any one up for it?
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 10, 2010 22:30     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My brother is think the same thing. He wants to go to Hellfest and then make his way up to Denmark, where I'd meet him right before Wacken. That's like a week before Wacken, right?

Oh and I found that voice recording. Got a bit of vocal harmony mayhem and some Retardy too. Fuck we were so hammered. I'm trying to figure out out to pull it off the phone and post it somewhere.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted October 11, 2010 09:24     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah I think we'll be doing Hellfest if my boss doesn't try to fuck things up too much!

--------------------

String em up

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted October 11, 2010 10:23     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Head Villain:
Yeah I think we'll be doing Hellfest if my boss doesn't try to fuck things up too much!

be your own boss !!!!!

Coroner is playing HELL FEST right??

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted October 11, 2010 12:29     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Coroner and Triptykon, it'll probably sell out pretty quick?

--------------------

String em up

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted April 13, 2011 04:36     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Those of you who were there and lucky enough to have met Scott - he was in a fatal road accident yesterday. Gutted doesn't describe it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I know there's a few of you who laughed with him that weekend. Raise a beer tonight.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan