my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » THE BIG 4 TOUR!!! (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: THE BIG 4 TOUR!!!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 04, 2010 14:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this here, so I thought I would.

Probably one of the most wanted tour bills ever with METALLICA - SLAYER - MEGADETH - ANTHRAX (with some God-like others on the bill)

The possibilities for this to be HUGE is incredible and the possibilities of what could happen on stage is equally mind blowing.

"The Four Mechanix" would be an interesting collaboration with MegaDave back with 'Tallica.

Kerry King playing with Megadeth again.

The all star jams that could take place could be staggering.

They damn well better creating a dvd box set of this event for those who will want to relive it and those who won't get to experience it live.

Nice to see this happening with these bands, especially considering the bad blood that was between Metallica & Megadeth for many many years... about time they all grew the fuck up and gave the fans what they never thought could happen!!!

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 04, 2010 19:23     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice gesture and all, but that tour is at least 20 years too late.
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted January 04, 2010 19:27     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
None of those four bands did anything that blew me away for the last 18 years or something, so why should I care.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted January 04, 2010 22:42     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dang, you guys sound so curmudgeony. Dave, your enthusiasm rules, though I kind of agree with AR and the Skul.

Those scenarios would be awesome, but man I would be astonished if the bands actually even talk backstage, much less do anything collaborative on stage.

I guess I'm saying I dig this in concept, but would be ok with just catching Slayer in a smaller venue with someone like Destruction or Death Angel.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 05, 2010 00:01     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I truly think all these guys have "grown up" and any problems they had in the past have been forgotten and realized how trivial they were in the grand scheme of things, and I think some cool shit is going to happen.

I also think these bands are still relevant... although I don't know what the fuck is happening with Anthrax and would rather see OVERKILL or EXODUS included in the BIG 4 since both have released new material and have been a lot more consistant than the others and were around from the beginning also. Overkill has been added to the festival bill on at least one of the shows the BIG 4 are playing.

--------------------

yawn

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted January 05, 2010 00:28     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anthrax / RunDMC / Beastie Boys

man if I just had a time machine I would erase these from history !

these converted susceptible metal heads to wiggers pretty rapidly and the whole scene changed very fast after this time (since they got MTV and air play) Grunge tried to save the day but held out only a short while in the scheme of things.

I only acknowledge the first 3 listed as being BIG, those hat-rim flippers had it all wrong, remember we wore our hats backward...

WIKI_

quote:
Anthrax were, almost from the start, noticeable among their peers for their willingness to experiment with genre and image. During the late 1980s, the band radically departed from the "traditional" heavy metal look in favour of a brightly colored "surfer" jam shorts style of appearance.

conflict two paragraphs later_

quote:
Anthrax was always a band prone to experimentation; in 1987, they appeared on the title track of rap group U.T.F.O.'s album Lethal. In 1991, they collaborated with pioneering rap artists Public Enemy on a joint version of PE's "Bring the Noise", although Anthrax already did a fusion of rap and heavy metal in the form of "I'm the Man" in 1987, a comedic song originally slated to be played with the Beastie Boys (although they did not actually get to play this song with Anthrax until a 1991 remake). "Bring the Noise" was a hit, and the band had a successful joint tour with Public Enemy.

surfer my ass, they were pre-wigger

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 05, 2010 04:39     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll go to this show (as long as it's not £300 a ticket), but I'm crossing my fingers for it to be a "classics" albums tour. Have them do the whole of Ride The Lightning, Spreading The Disease, Reign in Blood & Peace Sells and I'll be in the pit all night (provided my bones can handle it)!
DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted January 05, 2010 07:18     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Even in the 80's I would like Megadeth alone much much more.

Metallica = no no
Slayer = so so
Anthrax = imo sucky sucky

I was always a bit weird with my music and didn't go with my friends flow, that's why I don't get excited about it.

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 05, 2010 08:23     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, it's 20 years too late.

Yes, it's been 20 years since all of them were in their prime, even though I like John Bush better than Belladona.

Yes, I also don't think they will even look at each other backstage.

Yes, they might be getting tons of money (and that's the only reason for that tour).

Anyway, I'd love to see it live. Hope they remember to include the southern part of the world on their itinerary.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted January 05, 2010 10:13     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I already hear the sound of crashing egos... who's gonna play last? obviously the crippled Anthrax would open, but who goes on next? i wouldn't want to be either band's manager...
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 05, 2010 12:13     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The thing I really enjoyed about the beginning of thrash was that all the big names sounded very different from each other. Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Overkill, Exodus and a couple more from the early days were very unique and I really liked every one of them a lot and spent a shit load of $$$ collecting all of these bands. I'd go to all the shows that came through town and there was just so much happening back then. It reminded me of the NWOBHM from years previous when I was just trying to hear all the different acts that were coming out.

Later, bands like Voivod, Mordred, Faith No More, Suicidal Tendencies, Ludichrist/Scatterbrain, DBC, Mindfunk, Death Angel, and others, added something from outside the box to create their own sound.

The evolution of metal and the different genres that have been created and the walls that have come down from crossover bands combining different elements has always excited me and still does.

Now days so many bands sound like each other, or are emulating the "forefathers of thrash" and there isn't as much individuality; however, when a band does come along that that gets my attention I still get as excited as I did from back in the day and spend way too much $$$ collecting their music.

I can see where egos will come in to play when figuring out the order of who plays and when. If you're going by sales and popularity I would think: Anthrax - Slayer - Megadeth - Metallica.

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 05, 2010 13:23     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This tour is 20 years too late... for us.

I think it will be a good chance to convert some mis-guided youth who don't anything to measure good music by. Having all these bands on the same bill will certainly pull even the mildly curious. It's not about our dollars anymore. These bands know that they're largely tapped out with us. Time to expose a new generation. Good luck to them.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 05, 2010 13:25     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well fuck ALL of you! I love Anthrax.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 05, 2010 14:08     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yah miserable old gits.
Slayer should headline. Metallica or Megadeth would sound a bit lame following them.

--------------------

String em up

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 05, 2010 14:26     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm with you Em, I've loved EVERYTHING Anthrax has released.

I certainly don't think it's too late for this tour since killer thrash, is killer thrash no matter how long it's been around. The recent albums by Slayer, Megadeth & Metallica are all damn heavy and worthwhile (IMHO). I've purchased everything or almost everything these bands, and most of the other bands ending up at the Big 4 festivals, have released.

I see Mastodon, Heaven & Hell, Motorhead, and other greats being listed for this tour. It's like a history lesson of metal. These bands have been able to survive 20+ years for a reason. Sure they have all had their weak moments (some more than others), but shit... IT'S METAL, it's the reason I'm the screwed up bastard I am today.

I just want to be able to buy the 8 dvd box set that captures the historic event. Besides, I need some new concerts to keep me motivated on the treadmill.

--------------------

yawn

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted January 05, 2010 16:40     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AngelRat nailed it.

Bah humbug,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted January 05, 2010 20:15     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
I think it will be a good chance to convert some mis-guided youth who don't anything to measure good music by. Having all these bands on the same bill will certainly pull even the mildly curious. It's not about our dollars anymore. These bands know that they're largely tapped out with us. Time to expose a new generation. Good luck to them.

ah good point I didn't think of it from this angle. Anybody but anthrax though, there were tons of other BIG bands and albums released circa 1987 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_in_heavy_metal_music I can take all the songs I like from two of anthrax albums and maybe make one decent cd. They did not have release after release that were smash hits like the other said 3.

let the indoctrination begin...

tsawyerfam
VoivodFan
Member # 992

posted January 05, 2010 21:56     Profile for tsawyerfam   Email tsawyerfam     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just hope its comes to Madison Square Garden so I can bring my daughters. My oldest had a blast at Metallica in November.

Either way, I am going to see DRI in two weeks, Voivod in March, and Overkill in May. Those are bands I am looking forward to seeing.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted January 05, 2010 23:19     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oh you negative nancies! hahaha hellfire, i would love to see this show. Europe always has the best festivals!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 06, 2010 08:39     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
At the risk of repeating myself - none of the other 'big four' have I AM THE LAW, nor CAUGHT IN A MOSH, nor even MADHOUSE!

I'd buy the DVD boxed set if only it has an uncut two hour fly-on-the-wall documentry (or, shit, even a webcam) of what happens when all four bands sit down backstage together. Will it be a teary hugfest a-la Some Kind Of Monster? Sausage-factory beefcake agro-standoffs? Or an utterly disappointing, disillusioning discussion about new types of fucking golf club?

And: The current Megadeth lineup is awesome but for this to work it has to be the Rust.. version. John Bush I can handle, but not Mustain + 3 new guys.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 06, 2010 10:41     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
haha, as IF they will ever see each other except when walking by each others tour buses... even the individual members don't really have to interact except for the hour and a half they are on stage.
Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted January 06, 2010 11:01     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nia:
even the individual members don't really have to interact except for the hour and a half they are on stage.

so that's how it is with Voivod too?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 06, 2010 11:57     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It would be cool to see the classick Megadeth line up with Jr. - Freidman - Menza, but I doubt that'll happen.
I'm sure the new line up is capable of tearing up the old tunes as well as the new ones.

I can't find anything confirming who is singing for Anthrax. There own site doesn't even list a singer in the "members" page. Since they've been incognito for so damn long you'd think they'd be hyping this show for their big return.

Mastodon & Heaven and Hell are listed to open the Chech Repulic show... does that mean Dio is back in action from his cancer scare? I HOPE SO.

Looks like Metallica is definitely headling!!!

--------------------

yawn

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 06, 2010 12:15     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ynys Trebes:
so that's how it is with Voivod too?

pretty much. personal chefs mean they don't even have to eat at the same catering area.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 06, 2010 13:02     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
I'd buy the DVD boxed set if only it has an uncut two hour fly-on-the-wall documentry (or, shit, even a webcam) of what happens when all four bands sit down backstage together. Will it be a teary hugfest a-la Some Kind Of Monster? Sausage-factory beefcake agro-standoffs? Or an utterly disappointing, disillusioning discussion about new types of fucking golf club?

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan