my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » What rocked your 2009? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: What rocked your 2009?
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 20, 2009 19:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Time for your list of favorite releases for 2009 (studio albums, no live or reissues... list those separately). Feel free to post what you were disappointed by also.

Favs that i found myself listening to a lot this year:
MASTODON - CRACK THE SKYE
THRICE - BEGGARS
PEARL JAM - BACKSPACER
PORCUPINE TREE - THE INCIDENT
STEVEN WILSON - INSURGENTES
VOIVOD - INFINI
QUEENSRYCHE - AMERICAN SOLDIER
THE COMPANY BAND - THE COMPANY BAND
OSI - BLOOD
SLAYER - WORLD PAINTED BLOOD
METALLICA - DEATH MAGNETIC (aside from the crappy overblown production, i really enjoy this album)

Bummed about:
MEGADETH - endgame (a few classic megadeth tunes but too many songs just don't cut it for me)
BRAND NEW - daisy (complete shit)
CLUTCH - strange cousins from the west (this would be a great album for most bands but i was a bit let down in what i expected from clutch)
DREAM THEATER - black clouds & silver linings (i almost forgot this was released this year because i guess i tried to forget it came out at all... another miss)

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted December 20, 2009 20:06     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nile - those whom the gods detest
Ulcerate - everything is fire
Immortal - all shall fall

about it for the moment, most of the decent stuff i've been hearing is old!

--------------------

String em up

consumer
VoivodFan
Member # 421

posted December 20, 2009 22:05     Profile for consumer   Email consumer     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Top Ten of 2009:
1) GOATWHORE - Carving Out The Eyes Of God
2) ASPHYX - Death... The Brutal Way
3) NACHTMYSTIUM - Doomsday Derelicts EP
4) SACRIFICE - The Ones I Condemn
5) IMMORTAL - All Shall Fall
6) ACE FREHLEY - Anomaly
7) NAPALM DEATH - Time Waits For No Slave
KREATOR - Hordes Of Chaos
9) VOIVOD - Infini
10) WHILE HEAVEN WEPT - Vast Oceans Lachrymose (just came out.. but wanted to include it.. could move up list)

There were a few other albums that could prob swap in and out with 7 thru 10 like the PORCUPINE TREE- The Incident or ROSS THE BOSS - New Metal Leader, couple others. But will go with these.

Also a few albums that just haven't got around to buying yet.. like the SLAYER.. and new KATATONIA. That will probably listen to the shit out of as well.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted December 20, 2009 22:13     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fuck yeah Asphyx album is awesome, forgot that one.

--------------------

String em up

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted December 21, 2009 03:30     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voivod - Infini
Mastodon - Crack The Skye

The 20th anniversary gig of LOA in Lierop, damn big moshpit that was

The Living Colour gig in Tilburg rocked.

Hearing the first two songs of the new Triptykon album was great(and a relief it wasn't a disapointment)!

But absolute #1 were the two Voivod gigs last summer on Waldrock festival and in Antwerpen and meeting the guys after the superb Antwerp gig rocked mega!!

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 21, 2009 06:02     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This year:

1. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
2. The Devil's Blood - The Time Of No Time Evermore
3. Rose Kemp - Unholy Majesty
4. Magma - Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré
5. While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lachrymose
6. Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
7. Sylvester Anfang II - Sylvester Anfang II
8. Minsk - With Echoes In The Movement Of Stone
9. Baroness - Blue Record
10. Wolves In The Throne Room - Black Cascade

First things that came to mind. I may have forgotten some favs and there's stuff I didn't hear yet.

Fav DVD: 'Tatsumaki'
Fav gig: The Devil's Blood in my own hometown

Cheers.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 21, 2009 08:29     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BARONESS - The Blue Record
LIVING COLOUR - Chair in the Doorway
MASTODON - Crack the Skye
VOIVOD - Infini
ANIMALS AS LEADERS - S/T
CARNAL RAPTURE - Promo 2008

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 21, 2009 09:47     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What I really like about end of years lists is seeing things on other people's lists that I missed out on... guess I need to check out that Living Color album.

I only was able to get to 2 shows this years. Eddie Vedder which was fuckin' phenomenal & Testament which was like a trip back in time and they tore it up like they did back in the day.

Major Disappointment for 2009 was NOT getting out to see Porcupine Tree live.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 21, 2009 11:42     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dave you're telling me you haven't gotten the new Living Colour yet??? Whoah........best rock album I've heard in probably the last five years!! Way way better than their last which was pretty disappointing...........
Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted December 21, 2009 13:56     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
2009 hasn't been an impressive year for me to be honest. But there's been some nice releases nonethless...

Here are the albums that I've been truly excited about and satisfied with:

1. Alice in Chains / Black Gives Way to Blue
2. Sepultura / A-Lex
3. Pearl Jam / Backspacer
4. L'esprit du Clan / Chapitre IV - L'enfer c'est le nôtre
5. Mass Hysteria / Failles
6. Kreator / Hordes of Chaos

To a lesser extent, albums I was excited about but wasn't blown away by:

1. Voivod / Infini
2. Mastodon / Crack the Skye
3. Throwdown / Deathless
4. Kiss / Sonic Boom (yawn)

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Infini but I'd be lying if I said I was blown away. Mastodon, meh, just meh. Kiss, what can I say? Stop writing new songs and just keep doing what you've been doing forever : stick with the classics. That's what people wanna hear anyway...

Not album related, but the thing that got me the most excited this year was Faith No More's reunion. FUCK YEAH!

SmedHed
VoivodFan
Member # 1041

posted December 21, 2009 14:04     Profile for SmedHed   Email SmedHed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Stream of Passion - The Flame Within
Leaves Eyes - We Came With The Northern Winds, DVD

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 21, 2009 19:03     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, how could I forget the new Alice in Chains.......great piece...nowhere near Dirt but in the same ball field at least.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 21, 2009 19:16     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FNM reuniting was indeed a highlight and hoping for new material really excites me.

I liked the new AiC and was thrilled they got back together, but after a few spins I kinda forgot about it... it didn't have the hooks to keep my attention.

I would also add Hordes Of Chaos to my fav list for the year.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 21, 2009 20:18     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unlike Ynys Trebes, I think 2009 was a prolific year for great releases. So much that I didn't have enough time to listen to everything I'd like to!

My two favourites:

MASTODON - Crack the Skye
IMMORTAL - All Shall Fall

Other greats (in no particular order):

VOIVOD - Infini
NAPALM DEATH - Time Waits for No Slave
SLAYER - World Painted Blood
MEGADETH - Endgame
ABSU - Absu
SAMAEL - Above
BRUTAL TRUTH - Evolution Through Revolution
THE GATHERING - The West Pole
HEAVEN AND HELL - The Devil You Know
THE BAKERTON GROUP - El Rojo
ANAAL NATHRAKH - In The Constelation of the Black Widow
CLUTCH - Strange Cousins From the West
BARONESS - Blue Record
NILE - Those Whom The Gods Detest
GORGOROTH - Quantos Possunt Ad Satanitatem Trahunt

Gigs:
FEAR FACTORY with Gene Hoglan on drums, a must see for all.
AC/DC, classic.
MAIDEN on the Somewhere Back In Time tour, so I could pretend I was at Long Beach Arena!
ENTOMBED, at last!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 21, 2009 22:15     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just found this completely rocking:

DEERHOOF

Or maybe I need to get some sleep.

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted December 22, 2009 04:39     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, how could I forget mention the new Living Colour... Absolutely great stuff!

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 22, 2009 08:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
totally forgot about this Heaven & Hell album!!!

I agree with 2009 being a good year for music.

Mez... yes, you need sleep. if you think that's good, shut your eyes for the next 5 days and maybe your music tastes will be better when you wake up.

--------------------

yawn

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted December 22, 2009 17:32     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Like a bunch of you guys already stated, 2009 seriously had the good ones. Here are some of those that I enjoyed:

Propagandhi - Supporting Caste
Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Deathstars - Night Electric Night
Amorphis - Skyforger
Hypocrisy - A Taste of Extreme Divinity
Gorgoroth - Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt
Folkvang / Pagan Hellfire "Firmament Eclipse" split lp (best BM i heard all year)
cKy - Carver City (fuck the haters - they're excellent)
Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue
Asphyx - Death The Brutal Way
Devilfork - Devilknife (genre-busting, clever and fun!)
Katatonia - Night is The New Day (still hasnt fully grown on me, yet)
Voivod - Infini (isnt that a bit of a given tho?)

There was a whole bunch of other stuff that was good but those are the main ones for me. Endgame sucked.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted December 22, 2009 20:09     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
adding:

KYLESA Static Tensions

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted December 23, 2009 16:12     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
RAVEN - 'Walk Through Fire'
The SCALLIONS - 'Sounds of Vinyl and the Past'
The RESIDENTS - 'Ten Little Piggies' futurist compilation

Others have been mentioned already.

Best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 23, 2009 20:03     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After my first spin of the new Living Colour disc I must say... it's their best album, hands down. rockin cool grooves

thanks

--------------------

yawn

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted December 23, 2009 20:07     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
What rocked your 2009?

INFINI rocked my 09 with mega replay value into the years to come, and a worthy nod to Baroness (besides their band name which does not compute)

there may be others but nothing I am taking up much brainspace for...

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted December 24, 2009 11:11     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What rocked my 2009??

WALDROCK 2009, meeting the guys from Voivod. Talking to them and drinking with them. x1000

New Meshuggah, seeing them live in may. Gotten on the wrong train what caused me getting home at 3 o'clock in the morning while the concert was finished at 11 o'clock !! Fucking beer always!!!!!!!!

The fact that, even in this recession, I managed to work every possible hour in the year ( I have my own company now --> mustache engineering, no joking..)

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Cthon
Member # 156

posted December 24, 2009 21:03     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
faves were:

Them Crooked Vultures - s/t
Baroness -Blue Album
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
The Dead Weather - Horehound
Voivod - Infini
Kylesa - Static Tensions
Drivin n Cryin - Great American Bubble Factory

other ones i dug:

Wino - Punctuated Equilibrium
The Poles - 12 Winds
Les Ékorchés - IV Démons
Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine - The Audacity of Hype
Slayer - World Painted Blood
Goatwhore - Carving Out the Eyes of God
Priestess - Prior to the Fire
Absu - s/t
Shrinebuilder - s/t
YOB - The Great Cessation
Modest Mouse - No One's First and You're Next
Slough Feg - Ape Uprising!
Clutch - Strange Cousins from the West
Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
Sonic Youth - The Eternal
Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
Drag the River - Bad at Breaking Up

and....

Masters of Punk Rock - s/t 7"

probably a couple of more ive forgotten, and thanks for all the good ideas on here, folks.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted December 25, 2009 22:36     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love seeing Goatwhore on a few lists of '09 favorites. Ben grew up on the next street from me. I used to be the official "videographer" for him in the Paralysis days. Most importantly, he is single-handedly responsible for introducing me to Voivod in 1989.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan