my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » New Triptykon !! (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: New Triptykon !!
Cthon
Member # 156

posted March 26, 2010 01:37     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
one hell of a record.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

|  IP: Logged
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted March 26, 2010 11:21     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I bought the vinyl yesterday (or, more accurately, I received it yesterday). A beautiful gatefold it is too and, most importantly, pressed on to high quality vinyl.

As I found with Monotheist its an awkward initial listen. What greets you is a truly massive sound, very similar to Monotheist but more aggressive. The twisted riffs, anger and agression bulldoze through the speakers, there is yet more boundary pushing and the senses are assaulted with wave after wave of differing emotions...and yet...

I find its strength is, paradoxically its achilles heel. Namely, if you read the liner notes, a lot of his anger is directed at the demise of Celtic Frost, moreover Franco Sesa. I feel that it is dwelt on just a little more than I would like. There is no doubt this is a very personal album. It is early days and, as with all albums that do not offer you instant gratification, this requires to be spun a few times. But those were my initial thoughts as the closing feedback and guitar bending of The Prolonging faded into the inky blackness.

I agree that Synagoga Santanae tops The Prolonging. The latter is good, but there is a cohesion in the former that seems to be missing in the latter. At the moment Monotheist is still better, but the gap isn't huge and, considering the last 2 years or so, this is still a monumental achievement by Tom Warrior. It proves all along that the vast majority of the creative energy that made Celtic Frost (Cold Lake excepted) so compelling emanated from him. I think what this album misses is Martin Ain's finishing touch.

I learned to live with and appreciate what I considered to be the flaws that exist when I first listened to Monotheist and it is one of my personal favourite listens. I consider Synagoga Santanae and Winter were easily the best material Celtic Frost ever recorded and a fitting epitaph to one of the finest metal bands ever to exist.

While he has yet to scale the heights he achieved with Celtic Frost, Eparistera Daimones is a stunning debut album and I will follow Tom's new journey with great interest and anticipation of even greater things to come.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted March 27, 2010 02:29     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess that is what I'm "missing" too on this album, the little "madness" of Martin. I like the agression in it and the overwelming dark overal sphere, but sometimes I smell some frustration too (even in the booklet is frustration printed..). That is the only negative point I can think of. Or should I be glad it's created with so much honesty and personality?

I guess nothing can top it this year and it just started growing on me.

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted April 15, 2010 05:17     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Triptykon yesterday in Essen was a real blast! Damn, killer setlist btw:
Crucifixus (Intro)

1. Goetia
2. Babylon Fell
3. Circle Of The Tyrants
4. Abyss Within My Soul
5. Procreation (Of The Wicked)
6. Dethroned Emperor
7. Descendant
8. Necromantical Screams
9. The Usurper
10. Synagoga Satanae
11. The Prolonging

Winter (Outro)

The new line-up sound very solid and Tom seems to have a good time too an brought a lot of \m/ \m/ 's The sound was realy good, but a bit loud I notice right now in the morning after...

An old friend of mine shot some pictures of it with his blackbarfy ->

Up to Roadburn in one hour !

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 15, 2010 14:04     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bloody fuckin' cool! Thanks.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted April 15, 2010 15:17     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you lucky fucker

--------------------

String em up

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted April 17, 2010 03:51     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My head is a bit exhausted from 3 days heavyness (and beer I guess)

Like written above, Triptykon was great at Roadburn. The first 3 minutes was a bit off with the sound, but that problem dispeared and the rest of the set sounded excellent. They don't sound like a new band at all and that's a compliment for all four of them. After the pure heavyness of Thorrs Hammer I was a bit afraid Triptykon wouldn't sound heavy anymore, but they did for sure. If you get the opportunity to see them, do it!

Also the time Tom and the rest have for the fans is fantastic. No ploblem at all to have a chat with them. They really seemed to enjoy it. You saw them all days walking around and talking with everybody.

Roadburn is a great festival for everybody. Did I had a good time! Also nice to see SigSwat(from the CF board) again after 18 years!!

Triptykon:

Nothing can touch Triptykon....NOTHING! The sound is even better than Essen:

The singer of Sarke present for "Dethroned Emperor". He doesn't know the lyrics, and thus has a paper with text on the stage:

Madness...madness I tell you:

--------------------

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted April 17, 2010 03:53     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
and more

DBC and Vanja:

Tom and DBC:

My signed copy of "Only Death Is Real":

Sigswat (left) and DBC (right) in front of the merchandise entrance. This is the third location of Roadburn:

--------------------

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted April 17, 2010 06:14     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice piccehs! Vanja is gorgeous isn't she.
And my "proper" copy arrived today I am well pleased

--------------------

String em up

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 18, 2010 17:12     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, Synagoga Santanae and The Prolonging as the two last songs???

Damn, that's over half an hour!!!

Great set though, I so wish I went but funds are tight. Will have to wait till they appear in England...

--------------------

Hail Santa...

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted April 19, 2010 08:02     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
goed bezig mr Schoolmeesters...

hoe kom jij dan backstage ???

Mooie foto's. moet wel een blast geweest zijn...

gr. Paulus

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted April 19, 2010 09:20     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dat was niet backstage. Tom, Vanja en Norman liepen die dagen vaker rond. Hij stond o.a. bij het optreden van Kylesa voor ons. Ook omdat de nieuwe merchandise uitgepakt werd en zij het ook nog niet allemaal gezien hadden waren ze in die ruimte. Tom was boeken aan het (voor)signeren, dus greep ik mijn kans om effe met hem te praten. Ongelooflijk relaxte en aimabele kerel is das zeg. Hij was duidelijk vereerd dat we ook in Essen waren geweest. Hij duidde er ook direct op dat de rest er ook was en ook niet vergeten mocht worden. Leuke kerel, wat zeker het omgekeerde is zoals hij vaak in de pers geschetst wordt.

Je zag overigens vaak bandleden naar elkaars optreden kijken en/of een wandeling en een praatje maken.

Roadburn is zeker voor herhaling vatbaar.

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 19, 2010 12:13     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rad! Thanks again. Looks like a fun time.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted April 19, 2010 14:07     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
great pics. I met Tom on the Vanity/Nemesis tour - and he was a genuinely nice guy - he had all the time in the world for the fans. Hopefully will catch these guys live at festivals this summer. Mini-Shargraves is over 1 year old now, so me and the missus alternate friday nights out, and I'm allowed to go to gigs again haha.

(he loves Infini and Dethklok btw)

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted April 19, 2010 16:06     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How was Synagoga Satanae without Martin then, still alright?

--------------------

String em up

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted April 19, 2010 16:46     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Head Villain:
How was Synagoga Satanae without Martin then, still alright?

Still a great song live. Only the verse in German Martin did isn't in it anymore. I didn't really miss it the second time.

--------------------

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted April 19, 2010 16:57     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you jammy sod.

--------------------

String em up

St. Mike
VoivodFan
Member # 570

posted April 20, 2010 09:45     Profile for St. Mike   Email St. Mike     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for posting all this. Vanja looks killer! I promised to take her and the boys to the Space needle when they hit Seattle.

--------------------

ARE YOU MORBID?

Mächina
VoivodFan
Member # 1095

posted May 08, 2010 01:02     Profile for Mächina   Email Mächina     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hell yeah! It's so awesome to see such an idol to arise from the ashes with a new relentless metal machine! the songs are so great!

DBC great pics dude! how did you get to know them?

--------------------

Turn on the machine!!!

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted May 10, 2010 04:03     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
DBC great pics dude! how did you get to know them?[/QB]

They just walked arround, like a lot of the other bands did. Very laid back festival. I enjoyed it very much

--------------------

Mächina
VoivodFan
Member # 1095

posted May 13, 2010 00:13     Profile for Mächina   Email Mächina     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you lucky bastard! (with no ofense hehe)
and one more thing, you're also at the Tryptikon forum right?

--------------------

Turn on the machine!!!

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted May 13, 2010 06:20     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jammy sod

--------------------

String em up

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted May 13, 2010 10:11     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mächina:
you're also at the Tryptikon forum right?

Yup, I am, but overthere more a reader

--------------------

Mächina
VoivodFan
Member # 1095

posted May 14, 2010 01:50     Profile for Mächina   Email Mächina     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I see, I'm 'Mesmerized' at the Tryptikon forum, how small can the cyber space be, though speaking about awesome metal music fans is almost unavoidable to find the same maniacs.

And I have one doubt: The album has already reached these lands? (Mexico - latin America) I haven't found ir nowhere

--------------------

Turn on the machine!!!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan