my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » SLAYER - WORLD PAINTED BLOOD (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: SLAYER - WORLD PAINTED BLOOD
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 11, 2009 08:33     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Am I the only one here that has this album?
After a bunch of spins I gotta say it's FUCKIN DEVASTATING
To my ears it's the best thing they've done since South Of Heaven. Not that everything since SoH was bad, it's just that World Painted Blood gives me that same happy violent feeling that the earlier releases gave me. Everything on this album just fits together like a tight glove ready to beat the shit out of anything that gets in it's way.

Compared to all the old school thrash that's been released this year from the classic bands... this is the best of the bunch. It seems all the early bands that put out albums went back to their roots and tried to find the aggression that they had when they were young. Some bands did a better job than others, but it's been a good year and World Painted Blood tops the list.

Rick Rubin did a better job with Slayer (as usual) than he did with Metallica... although he did help bring them back.

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted November 11, 2009 14:39     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, still do not have it, or heard it. From "first day buyer" i became "some day buyer".

I love all Slayer albums. Although I forget about playing them occasionally.

Tomorrow at work some Slayaaaaahhhh!!!!!!

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted November 11, 2009 17:24     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I started listenin to it, but after a few minutes ended up listening to some other stuff that was very silly indeed...

will put it on me mp3 player tomorrow and give it a spin!

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

Rev. Joel
VoivodFan
Member # 1024

posted November 11, 2009 18:30     Profile for Rev. Joel   Email Rev. Joel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've started listening to it twice now, and have become bored with it both times...I'll have to try again, and give it my full attention next time.

--------------------

"Wow, a superpowers drug you can just rub into your skin? You'd think it'd be something you'd have to freebase."
- Philip J. Fry

tsawyerfam
VoivodFan
Member # 992

posted November 11, 2009 21:32     Profile for tsawyerfam   Email tsawyerfam     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This fucking record is great. I real return to what Slayer was all about. I cannot stop listening to it. These songs are going to kill live.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 12, 2009 01:56     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"will put it on me mp3 player tomorrow and give it a spin!"

on a portable digital music device does it really "spin" or just go by as 1's and 0's really really fast in a straight line.

Thank you Mr Sawyer for sharing my same feelings on the album. It's fuckin TIGHT.

--------------------

yawn

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 12, 2009 05:06     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can the music of Slayer be described without using the F word?

They sure do bring out the 13 year old in us!

Loved SOH, lost interest after that, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Speaking of old bands putting decent records out, isn't it time Sepultura got back together and finally gave us something thats fit to be in the same rack as Schizophrenia and Beneath The Remains?

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 12, 2009 10:34     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Speaking of old bands putting decent records out, isn't it time Sepultura got back together and finally gave us something thats fit to be in the same rack as Schizophrenia and Beneath The Remains?

Indeed. In the meantime, you can try the latest Soulfly, "Conquer". A couple of the songs (seriously!) remind me of "Beneath the Remains".

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted November 12, 2009 15:40     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Listened to it twice today

...drums sound like upturned paint tins, guitars as weedy as bees in a jar, no bass in the mix, production about as brutal as an angry 12yr, and they still can't play a decent lead break to save their their lives....

So pretty good for slayer

(I been a fan since 85 - and even covered a few tracks live so I can say this!)

Human Strain, Americon, Playing with dolls, Hate worldwide, and not of this god are very good.

I think the best modern slayer song (ie not on reign in blood or south of heaven) is disciple - as that is a simply awesome tune.

Decent overall - obviously miles better than metallica, anthrax and megadeths recent output....

--------------------

Steven Hargraves

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted November 12, 2009 17:08     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to say that, after all the hype, I am mildly disappointed. It's good but I think Christ Illusion is marginally better.

The production is much better than described above - drums are weighty, the bass has a good deal of clarity and the guitars generally are pretty good too. Not up with the sheer clarity of South Of Heaven, still one of the best produced metal albums even after 20 years. But then, I am describing the vinyl

But early days yet, as with everything you should give it time...

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted November 12, 2009 17:40     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Got bored after a couple of songs and switched it off, will give it another go at some stage I guess. I didn't like the drum sound at all, but I'm not sure if it's the actual sound or just a really dodgy download.

--------------------

String em up

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 13, 2009 14:25     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DOWNLOAD!!!???
No wonder why it doesn't sound right.
The cd makes the hatch in the back of my car vibrate so the bass can't be too bad.

Christ Illusion was damn good wasn't it? Don't know why that slipped my mind. Having Lombardo back is an asset. I'm curious as to how long he'll stay. If he gets to do side projects to release his alternative experimental side, he might hang with Slayer for years to come.

--------------------

yawn

shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted November 13, 2009 17:37     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't get me wrong - I am a first generation thrasher - but pretty much all their production sounds gash - prick rubin's fault. When seeing them live in concert, their clean distortion sound is devastatingly precise and clinically brutal, but on record, it sounds a bit piss weak for my jaded ears!

Disciple is as good as the songs raining blood and south of heaven. Otherwse i'd never have covered them all live.

Course I listen to vinyl, you think I'm some kind of whippersnapper thirtysomething?

--------------------

Steven Hargraves

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted November 13, 2009 18:38     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not buying it without listening to it first!

--------------------

String em up

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted November 13, 2009 21:01     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like it. Got me going back and giving Christ Illusion another shot too, which seems like a good thing. Having Lombardo back in the fold suits them very well.

There are some weird things going on with the produciton IMO, but I could say this about most metal albums out in the last few years... ProTools will be the death of us all... Somebody get Martin Birch out of retirement. Yeah, I'm getting old and crotechty.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, Slayer. Something about these guys has been stuck in my head since I first heard Chemical Warfare back in 1984... When I want that certain kind of thrash, 9/10 times, Slayer is the first thing that pops into my head... has been since I was 14-15 years old.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 13, 2009 22:12     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did somebody say MARTIN BIRCH!!!!
That man is the God of Gods when it comes to production. Why the hell did he stop? Everything he had his hands in with a band was always their best sounding album. He knew how to make a band sound better than every. He knew which knobs to turn, levers to slide, and switches to flip, and he knew where to stop them. His list of God-Like Production credits is mind boggling.
Martin Birch on Wikipedia
DAMN!!!! I'd love to hear what he could do with a thrash band. His ears need to put in the Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame after he dies.

--------------------

yawn

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted November 14, 2009 05:06     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Did somebody say MARTIN BIRCH!!!!
That man is the God of Gods when it comes to production. Why the hell did he stop? Everything he had his hands in with a band was always their best sounding album. He knew how to make a band sound better than every. He knew which knobs to turn, levers to slide, and switches to flip, and he knew where to stop them. His list of God-Like Production credits is mind boggling.
Martin Birch on Wikipedia
DAMN!!!! I'd love to hear what he could do with a thrash band. His ears need to put in the Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame after he dies.

Haha! Dave, I couldn't agree with you more. The man is clearly a genius. Some of the best sounding albums of all time!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Cthon
Member # 156

posted November 19, 2009 10:38     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
im pretty amazed at myself for enjoying the new Slayer album. probably been 15 years since i could say that... good stuff.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted November 19, 2009 16:33     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And now we get the Slayer/Megadeth/Testament tour! Thrash on!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 19, 2009 17:59     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Luna:
And now we get the Slayer/Megadeth/Testament tour! Thrash on!

But they're not stopping anywhere near me... FUCKERS!!!!

They've even got tix available for $10!!! Just like the old days, great thrash, great price... and I'm going to fuckin miss out.
FUCKERS...
did I say that already?

--------------------

yawn

tsawyerfam
VoivodFan
Member # 992

posted November 19, 2009 19:56     Profile for tsawyerfam   Email tsawyerfam     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
going. jersey how about a 4th band on this tour? mmmm?
Cthon
Member # 156

posted November 20, 2009 00:29     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tsawyerfam:
going. jersey how about a 4th band on this tour? mmmm?

its High on Fire at most shows, i think.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted November 20, 2009 07:15     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this is one of those rare instance where the solos really have to go.

they ruin the vibe as usual and make you skip to the next song so you can get that chug-a-lug...

still don't think I've listen to a complete song from this release because of it !

shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted November 21, 2009 17:47     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They can't play lead to save their fucking lives LOL!

My little 8 month old baby is a big fan though - he loves Human Strain and Americon.

Prefers Murmaider by Dethklok though - at least Brendan Smalls can actually play a guitar! Ha ha

--------------------

Steven Hargraves

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 05, 2009 23:47     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Martin Birch: all hail! This is the man who brought us one of the greatest songs of all time, Black Blade. (and I'm convinced he played a major role in Blue Öyster Cult peaking when they did)

As for this Slayer disc, I'm with the naysayers. I totally agree that the leads ruin the songs. This band has utterly failed to excite me since RiB. Yawn.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan