my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Belew & Death and Taxes

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Belew & Death and Taxes
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 29, 2009 18:48     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Vince (aka Mean Mr Mustard) and his amazing band Death & Taxes had the pleasure of opening for GOD... I mean, Adrian Belew... actually The Adrian belew Power Trio.

He asked me to share this photo with all you freaks, and now he needs to share his cool story about the sho, and being in the prescence of The Master.

Wish I could have been at this show.

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted October 30, 2009 11:21     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool! Thanks for sharing schroeder...and MrMustard.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 30, 2009 11:40     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great photo guys! Can't wait to hear the story that goes with it.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted October 30, 2009 17:16     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
here’s my quick belew story:
I’m the only other act that night, so it’s only D&T and the Belew trio at soundcheck. I was scheduled to load in at 5:30, but stroll in around 5:45 since I know I’m soundchecking last. So I walk into the club and it’s my dream come true…..Belew and his band are already fully on stage and testing the lines and running through songs. It’s just awesome. The only people in the club were me, two of my bandmates, and the sound guys are in the room. It’s just too awesome. It really was. So for about 15 or 20 minutes they’re just running through half of there songs (again, just checking lines, volumes…soundcheck stuff). And again, I’m a kid in a candy story….just watching my guitar hero jam all alone in the room. Dude, I can’t even tell you. It was too awesome. Seriously, this guy is easily in my top 5 most influential guitarists in my life. I might as well be watching Jimi Hendrix (or Piggy) soundcheck.

Here’s where it gets funny:
As they wrap up their soundcheck, I’m about 10 feet from the stage talking to the stage manager and Belew walks up to the Stage Manager and says “why is there another band here? I specifically said no more opening acts on my tour. I told my agent that I’m not doing any more shows with opening acts. Something always goes wrong with my gear when there’s someone else on stage before us. Our gear gets messed with…….” He turns to us briefly and says, “I just want you to know why I’m not all ‘hey! Happy to meet you guys!’ but this crap happens all of the time. I know you guys won’t do anything on purpose, but chords get stepped on and stuff gets disconnected and when I hit a pedal nothing happens and I’m hung out to dry in the middle of a song…..”.

I basically replied, “hey man, it’s totally cool. I’d be pissed to. I promise not to touch anything”.

And he kinda just walked off.

I’ll tell you honestly right now that I’m the first guy to not hold stars up to different standards. And I promise you that I wasn’t upset or anything, but I have to admit, I felt like someone just told me that santa claus wasn’t real. My heart sank a little bit like a little kid. But I kept it cool, because honestly, I’d be upset to. I know how it is when venues promise you one thing without the slightest intention to deliver. I hate clubs. Bastards.

So I just told him it’s cool. And he was trying to not be a dick, but at the same time, he was clearly upset. And I’m sure you know this about Belew, but he does have a TON of delicately wired gear on stage: from amps, to guitars, to midi gear and effects, and digital and analogy effects…you nameit. He’s got the works. It really takes an engineer to line all of that stuff. And seriously, one F*up could lose everything. So I totally understood.

So that’s how the night started!

So then we’re told that Belew’s gear is NOT moving one inch from where it is. Which leaves me all but about 5 square feet for my 4 piece band! Not even kidding. It was possible that we were going to have to play on the floor. But then Erick Slick (belew’s drummer) and Julie Slick (belew’s bass player) stepped up and f*’n made my night. They came up to us and basically said, hey man, sorry about this. Why don’t you guys just use our gear?

How cool was that? So my drummer and bass player used their gear and everything worked out.

I was told that Belew came back and saw our last song or two and dug it. After the show, he came up to me with a big ol’ smile and said, “hey man, I’m sorry about the crap I gave you earlier. That wasn’t cool”. I cut him off and said, “don’t even worry about it…….and I didn’t touch a thing…hahahaha”.

Belew: “ahhh, that’s cool man. I appreciate it. So how was your set?”

Me (pointing to the Belew fan listening to our conversation): “ask this guy. He’ll tell you the truth. How was it?”

Belew fan: “you guys rocked it, man. Sounded great! You guys got something…..”

Belew (to Me): “But what did you think. How does it sound up there? Good crowd reaction?”

Me: “Man, all I know is that my band just opened up for the Adrian Belew Power Trio. I’m feeling like a kid on cloud nine!”

Belew: “Ahhhh, man. That’s too nice. Let’s go take a picture in some good light”

So he pulled us away and we walked behind the Merch table where there was good light and took that picture (above).

Then Santa Claus was back to life again!

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted October 30, 2009 18:44     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
man that was totally unfucking cool !!!

Piggy and Hendrix had hearts of gold...

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted October 31, 2009 03:22     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't worry, it probably sounds worse than it was. Seriously, Belew is about as nice a guy as you'll meet. And seriously, clubs will promise just about anything to get you in the door. I really don't blame him. And like I tried to explain, everything was ultra cool after the show and he was so damn gracious. he really was. I'm not just sticking up for him. If he was a jerk, I'd say it.

And i totally forgot to mention how killer their set was. For those of you who don't know, Belew's trio consists of him (of course) and a brother and sister rhythm section. Julie on bass I believe is around 24 years old and brother Erick is around 22. They're extremely talented.

As much as I love Belew, i'll admit that his solo stuff can sometimes be a difficult listen if you're not a nerdy fan like me, but his latest disc with these kids is spectacular. the album is called "e" and it's pretty much a single piece of music performed live and entirely instrumental. It's a must for every fan of Belew's Crimson work. And also a must for any guitar player out there who likes midi with live looping. This is a serious piece of music. It instantly became my favorite Belew solo disc.

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted October 31, 2009 03:36     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's a little taste of the new belew material:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFQVUAcw5eg&feature=related

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 31, 2009 18:01     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FUCK ME!!! I had no idea he even had a new album out... what the hell is problem? I NEED it, I want it, I must have it.

Thanks for the link. I just figured he was touring to kill time for when KC finally gets their shit together, didn't know he was promoting a new release.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 01, 2009 20:40     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great story Mustard.......his band sounds very good. I bet a blast live..
ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted November 01, 2009 23:05     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ha - it sounds like a bit of Robert Fripp has rubbed off on Belew after all these years. Fripp is a perfectionist, to a fault, and he's nonapologetic about it. Belew is also a perfectionist (he has to be in order to create the otherworldly sounds he creates), but the difference is that he still has a sense of humor. Seems like he realized that he was acting more like Fripp and less like Belew, and caught himself at it.

I await the return of the Crimson King with great interest.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 02, 2009 05:48     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.guitarplayer.com/Video

'Frame by Frame' rocks.............

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 02, 2009 18:41     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The video for Frame By Frame is actually Three Of A Perfect Pair. Come on Guitar Player, know what the guitarists are actually playing!!!

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted November 02, 2009 19:14     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, what a great story. Thanks for sharing...I can totally feel your heart sink and then lift with relief and joy. I love stuff like that. Makes me wish I could play an instrument, or sing and write songs. Anything but just being a dork fan of great musicians/song writers. Congrats again for opening for one of the greats, especially one of Your faves. Too awesome.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted November 04, 2009 00:56     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool story, and congrats on the opportunity too - Thx for passing it along!

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 04, 2009 07:42     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
The video for Frame By Frame is actually Three Of A Perfect Pair. Come on Guitar Player, know what the guitarists are actually playing!!!

Hahah....whoops!

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted November 04, 2009 16:53     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh hahah, got it wrong!
Now we get to make shit up about you.

I hear you hate fatties and are a secret KKK member. Etc etc. And you also hate goats.

--------------------

String em up

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 05, 2009 19:37     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You forgot to mention I also hate people from Indiana..........
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted November 06, 2009 13:00     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That man that films his neighbour doinking a picnic table?
That's you, that is.

--------------------

String em up

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted November 06, 2009 22:39     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
....just wanted to thank you all for the support. i mean that. someone will be sending me video of our set that night soon (so i'm told). if it's decent enough and you guys are interested, i'll post a link if i get the nerve!

again, all you guys rock for the support.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 07, 2009 05:41     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Post in, man! Post the clip! You're among friends here...

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 08, 2009 17:59     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you better fuckin post the video

--------------------

yawn

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted November 10, 2009 15:41     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Post the fucker

--------------------

String em up

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan