my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » New guitar

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New guitar
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted September 29, 2009 13:56     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello, there must be several people on this very fine board that plpay guitar or know lots about it. I need some advice here.

3 Years ago I bought myself a Jackson Kelly as you might recall. I have played a lot since then but only in my room by myself!

Now, as I became a 5% better player then I was 3 years ago, I want to buy myself a new piece.

What do I want? I want a guitar than is there for shredding like S.O.D, Death, Celtic Frost, Old Metallica kind of shit. Playing solo's is not the issue here. just plain thrashing crushing galopping palmuted big fat guitar riffs.

These are the guitars I am looking for:

Do you have any suggestions? Should I go for the above ones or do you have an idea??

thanks,....

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted September 29, 2009 14:45     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That BC Rich Stealth is the one the mighty Chuck used, It has the same pickup i have on my Ibanez RG570: DiMarzio X2N.
It's NOT for fancy playing, a really powerful bastard. I love it
It absolutely roars with heavy distortion and tuned down guitars.

Mohammed of Necrophagist played that one too before he got Ibanez Xiphos.

I would go for the BC. No question about it
X2N review

The V guitars are crap for sitting down and playing comfortably. Looks nice though.

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted September 29, 2009 15:00     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Vroom! I have been listening and buying a lot of Chucks music lately. I even bought the Zero Tolerance demo's cd. That came out after his death. I simply love his kind of riffing!

It looks like it isn't that heavy (weight) also... It is neck through and has 2 types, the handcrafted (€3500,-) and the not machined one (€875,-) I think the second one is better for my purse.

Is this a kind of guitar that keeps its value in money?

What is the difference with the Xiphos one??

--------------------

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted September 29, 2009 15:31     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Xiphos has a whammy bar and a neck pickup too. If you mostly play riffs and don't yank that whammy all the time, i would get a guitar without one. it's way more work to switch strings, change tuning and stuff. I regret i got a guitar equipped with one.

But if the cheaper BC is a good guitar. It's helluva lot cooler i think Look up some reviews on teh interweb.

Since you'er also a Meshuggah nut, this could maybe be something for the loow brown notes:

Eight strings of lööve

There's a certain guitarist in some band i heard about that might know a thing or two about this stuff?

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted September 29, 2009 17:00     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That Iceman will have the best tone of the bunch, and be a bit more diverse. Good for rhythms, good for leads. The others are great lead guitars, okay for rhythms.

Guess it depends on your taste quite a bit. I've never been one for nasally sounding mid-less guitars, a la Kirk Hammett. I've was always in single-guitar bands and for that task, I always prefer a Gibson.

shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted September 29, 2009 17:14     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just got one of these:

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted September 29, 2009 18:42     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bloody show-off

--------------------

String em up

shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted September 30, 2009 14:39     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
£215 on ebay

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted September 30, 2009 21:53     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For the purpose of metal mayhem, you'd be better off with the Jackson over the Iceman.

The Iceman is a bit wang-tastic... probably the reason Paul Stanley played one.
Quite like the Giger graphics on that one though.

Personally, I'd love a Richard Z signature series ESP

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted September 30, 2009 22:09     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If had the cash for any of those, I'd go for the Jackson V.

Maybe u can find one with your reflection permanently captured in it.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 01, 2009 08:34     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As an established expert on these things I would like to say that the difference between Ibanez, ESP, Jackson, Dean and any other 'metal' brand you care to mention is precisely not much at all!

Its a brand, a marketing trap. Apart from custom shop models they're all made in the same factories.

That said - having played all these brands the quality on BC Rich is shockingly bad for the price. Deans look absurd and will be hidden under a lot of beds in five years time.

Jackson, LTD/ESP and Ibanez are good quality/value and all have different neck profiles so try all three makes to see which suits your hands.

As for a good guitar making you a better player - actually that is true. Great guitars are much easier to play so theres less fighting the thing and more creativity.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 03, 2009 13:22     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm kind of on the same search..for a good solidbody..

Yes, I would agree with Em...especially on the Dean comment. Here's what I played in the store the other day and loved it:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-JS100-Joe-Satriani-Model-Electric-Guitar?sku=519400

Very, very comfortable neck which I think is numero uno in making your purchase. And the damn thing responded so well...now I love Satch as much as the next guy but I would have to remove his name that's planted on the fretboard...lame imo.

Check out this monster that my new favorite metalist rips on:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-XPT700-Extended-27Fret-Electric-Guitar?sku=501364

And the vid of him playing it(Emilio is on the right): http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=55096681

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted October 03, 2009 17:08     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just go for a Les Paul - you'll like it. As I do for the last 20 years. Fat sound.

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 04, 2009 00:09     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm gonna recommend Jackson, as that's mostly what I play. Since you already have a Kelly, you already know how the neck tends to dive towards the floor because of where the strap pin by the neck is located. The King V's do it too, so be aware. It's a tad annoying, but the necks just feel so damn good!
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted October 04, 2009 06:12     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
if your going for the sound and not just the looks, then buy you a strat... had you had one of these already you would be atleast 50% better after 3 yrs..

(the most comfortable design ever)

you can be anything you want to be with this guitar, from Metal to Country and Jazz.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted October 04, 2009 06:42     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seeate:

thats a cool guitar seeate, reminds me of all my early fender strats I used to play. I used to have to buy right-handed guitars and swap the strings ect (i'm a lefty) so mostly what I seen was exactly this... an upside-down strat !

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 04, 2009 22:26     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seeate:

Dunno about the sound, but its shape is exactly like that of the trademark Johnny Ramone guitar.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 05, 2009 11:11     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

All the kids are playing this model... it's devastating and the tones are unmatched!!!!

--------------------

yawn

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted October 05, 2009 14:56     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

--------------------

String em up

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted October 06, 2009 04:41     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay now, after reading all the posts I have come to the conclusion that Jackson is the best choice made. So I went to the "Live music" store in Arnhem where I knew this guitar was. After playing some of the guitars there I bought the Jackson SLS.

Thanks for your advice.....

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 06, 2009 08:49     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NICE!!!!

black is whack!!!
it needs a korgull sticker

--------------------

yawn

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted October 06, 2009 20:47     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:

All the kids are playing this model... it's devastating and the tones are unmatched!!!!

Cool, a Kirk Hammett custom!

Anyway, that's a neat Jackson you have there, Paul!

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted October 06, 2009 22:21     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulussie:
Okay now, after reading all the posts I have come to the conclusion that Jackson is the best choice made. So I went to the "Live music" store in Arnhem where I knew this guitar was. After playing some of the guitars there I bought the Jackson SLS.

Thanks for your advice.....

Very nice 'axe' We just need some photos of you being impaled by it while wearing corpse paint!

Seriously, good luck, have fun, Rock freakin' on!

I'll stick to my banjo.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan