my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » "Morpheus" is makin' me cry

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Morpheus" is makin' me cry
ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted August 18, 2009 13:58     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, not really, but close enough: This song is really getting to me, and the more I listen, the more sad I get. The combination of the lyrics, the anguish in Snake's voice about losing a friend, and the mental image of Piggy slowly dying in the hospital... Not only that, but the minor key, the dirge of a rhythm, and the subtle piano chords in the background (by the way, who's playing keys on this song?)

Sheesh...

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

|  IP: Logged
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted August 18, 2009 20:44     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
dude, I miss Piggy everyday... this site it serves as a reminder and keeps his spirit alive. The fans here know just how important he was, His contributions to the metal/dischord will only be uncovered further as time goes on. When the next generations go looking for who helped pioneer the style/sound Piggys name will always pop up or be there in some way, even for the peeps who just dont get it.

we got Blacky back and I can not wait to hear him twisting it with Dan brewing up those future tunes \m/

I think I may listen to some Nothingface about now...

PS:

are you certain those are Keys ? The intro and outro notes may be Piggy messing around with sounds as he had a tendency to do alot. (could be guitar synth of sorts)

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted August 19, 2009 14:20     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You're 100% correct on all of the above. I too am very happy about what the future holds for Voivod...now if they'd only come to the USA, that'd be really cool. Oh yeah, and feed my insatiable need for even more new music! All in good time, of course.

I think what got to me was all the new optimism lately, with Dan/Blacky/etc., and then, all of a sudden and from out of nowhere, I hear a song like "Morpheus". Saddest song Voivod has ever written. I'll get over it though: I just got Infini a couple of weeks ago, and am really listening to each track in detail.

Back to the keyboard thing for a sec: I bought the MP3 version of the album, with no liner notes, etc. - that's why I wanted to know who's playing keys. You may be right that it's Piggy making noises, but at the very end of "Morpheus", I can distinctly hear a couple of piano chords. Literally, the last couple of notes of the song.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

jf
VoivodFan
Member # 645

posted August 19, 2009 14:30     Profile for jf   Email jf     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been wondering too about the piano sounds, the whole bells toll vibe of it. Maybe it's some ring modulation on a guitar part.

quote:

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

Devotions upon Emergent Occasions, John Donne

--------------------

(11) Le texte original dit quatorze, mais maintes raisons invitent ŕ supposer que, dans la bouche d'Astérion, ce nombre représente l'infini.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 19, 2009 22:36     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
if you've seen or listened to any of the King Crimson ProjeKCts there's piano sounds and all kinds of different instruments to be heard but it's still only Fripp or Belew (depending on what project) and their guitar and pedals.

I saw ProjeKCt 2 live and half the time I couldn't figure out who was creating what sounds. Mastellotto also produces a lot of unique noizes behind his drum kit.

Did Newsted mix all the strange parts between to songs? Could be some weird things Piggy was messing with that they found on his computer. Whatever it is I love the way they tie each song into the next.

Snake, Away, Blacky, (or Jasonic) and Diaper... the future knows no limits... still!!!

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan