my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Vinyl Is For Posers ... (Yes You Suck) (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Vinyl Is For Posers ... (Yes You Suck)
SmedHed
VoivodFan
Member # 1041

posted August 13, 2009 22:27     Profile for SmedHed   Email SmedHed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh you're so hardcore you blew 25.00 bucks on an album, and are RETRO at the same time.

I don't know what is worse, Star Wars and Star Trek geeks, people who collect "action figures," or this.

Get out there and protest or contribute to a soup kithcen people, this is sad.

There's people starving in Detroit.

|  IP: Logged
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 13, 2009 23:50     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
May I be the first to say... You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted August 14, 2009 00:44     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SmedHed:
[QB]Oh you're so hardcore you blew 25.00 bucks on an album, and are RETRO at the same time.[QB]

Dude, you are so WRONG! Retro? How old do you think the average Voivodfan is...? Most of us probably had stacks of thrash records before CDs were widely used.

And if the $25 you are complaining of is regarding the vinyl edition of Infini, you are also wrong about that (it's great!). Never regretted a vinyl purchase, ever.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted August 14, 2009 01:43     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you and yes, fuck you too!

Btw, did you missed to purchase one?

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted August 14, 2009 04:07     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Get out there and protest or contribute to a soup kithcen people, this is sad.

There's people starving in Detroit.[/QB]

and buying the records is keeping people in jobs you twat.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted August 14, 2009 05:08     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
Dude, you are so WRONG! Retro? How old do you think the average Voivodfan is...? Most of us probably had stacks of thrash records before CDs were widely used.

Yep, and I'm not even that old. *cough*.
What a tosser I must be for still owning a turntable. And being able to see the detail in the artwork is for cunts also. Please accept my humble grovelling apologies. Fuckface.

--------------------

String em up

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 14, 2009 08:16     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My Vinyl copy of Infini just arrived. The only thing that sucks is that they didn't scratch any weird messages into the outake groove. Why don't people do that anymore?

And I'm no star wars geek or anything, so you might need to tell me if buying the toys gives you a better reproduction of the film.

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted August 14, 2009 09:33     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love 8-Tracks tapes. And I'm 17 years old.

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

jf
VoivodFan
Member # 645

posted August 14, 2009 09:46     Profile for jf   Email jf     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ha! I bought two !!

And i don't even have a cartridge to play them

--------------------

(11) Le texte original dit quatorze, mais maintes raisons invitent à supposer que, dans la bouche d'Astérion, ce nombre représente l'infini.

saegeas
VoivodFan
Member # 1071

posted August 14, 2009 10:45     Profile for saegeas   Email saegeas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ron McG. that Voivod font at the top of your first link is fabulous. Did you make that?

Smed that's some heavy trolling, way worse that your usual. Something else must be bothering you...

Anyway, ironic you should mention Detroit, which is world famous for pioneering techno masters, and most of it is produced ONLY in vinyl format even today. So vinyl is one Detroit industry which has survived the recession and is contributing to the solution of their economic problem.

A good friend of mine has boxes full of Detroit techo, so he's contributed a lot, and he's only one of many. What have you contributed?

Also, vinyl is generally an inexpensive way to collect music, to recycle manufactured product, not to mention the warm yet crisp sound and the artwork.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 14, 2009 11:30     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My 8-Track player rules! Look! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAvVAwWv0QM

Vinyl is great, but since they're kinda back in vogue, you dont get to find incredibly great deals like in the mid-90's when no-one gave a fuck about vinyl anymore. I remember buying a bunch of great LP's like some DRI, Sabbat, Whiplash, etc... for like a dollar each, still in shrinkwrap!

I didnt order infini yet (too broke), but I did order the Folkvang / Pagan Hellfire "Firmament Eclipse" split LP a while back. Great black metal.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted August 14, 2009 12:24     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Smeghead

Please tell me why I, a vinyl collector of some 26 years, suck.

I have 1,400 vinyls, 800 rock/metal, 100 other genres and 500 classical. Some of my classical stuff is older than I am and still sounds amazing. Don't even try to push the CD sounds better than vinyl argument - no serious hifi journalist will agree with you and it seems that many people out there are in fact rediscovering just how good their vinyl sounds as sales of vinyl are actually growing and have done so for a few years now.

Lets have a little history. CD was introduced in 1983 by Sony and Philips. It was promoted under the banner "perfect sound forever", which they were forced to drop because it was successfully proved than the sound was not perfect, nor did the disks last forever because if they are left exposed to light they oxidise and the disk becomes unplayable. Uptake of the new medium was not good. People were resistant because it was expensive to buy the players (about the same price as a Linn Sondek with Basik arm at the time) and the disks were more than double the price of vinyl. So they decided to offer 'bonus tracks' not available on the vinyl version. They began to doctor vinyl releases with bass filters, compression and also used inferior grade vinyls. In some cases polystyrene was used, a meduim which has tremendous surface noise but also breaks up as it is more brittle than vinyl, lasting on average 100 plays. Even after this there was still resistance so they made the choice for us - they released the CD and tape, but not the vinyl, so people were forced to buy CD players, and then the great change began. We didn't want CD but as is the way with many things, the corporations in the music industry decided it for us by manipulation and false claims. But vinyl has refused to die and is once again growing as people realise just how good it is.

Now things are changing again. 'Cloud' music is with us and everyone wants their music on a device the size of a shirt button. On line music stores are now selling compressed music at the same price as the uncompressed version on CD. And pay again if your hard drive dies as has happened to a few of my friends (yes, I did warn them!). It seems that the clouds are the way things are going and we, instead of physically owning our music, will just have access to it via an internet connection. Trust me, it is coming and the days of physical ownership are numbered. The sound quality of cloud music is generally terrible but it seems like we are becoming tone deaf and accept the fact that its coming to us at 128kbps mp3. Ignorance is bliss as they say, but as a person who has had the good fortune to listen to domestic sound systems of the very highest calibre and now the proud owner of a Linn turntable, Musical Fidelity amps and Celestion speakers, I do find it a depressing trend. I do hope the clouds get blown away, I really do.

However, there is something I do deplore about vinyl today. Major labels are demanding stupid sums of money for their vinyl releases. Another trick is to put a 40 minute album on a double album - completely unnecessary. Picture disks are another of my pet hates - every Iron Maiden release is on this format and it sounds horrid! So, from that point of view you do have a point and it is something I do object to as well.

Overall though your comments come across as an ill informed bitch about something you know nothing about. Do yourself a favour. Before you make such stupid comments go and listen to vinyl. Not the nasty USB turntables that sound quite atrocious or the excuses for turntables that adorn the all-in-one music systems - these things are better at ploughing fields than playing records. REAL turntables. Linn, Rega, Project, Michel, Thorens to name but a few. Then come back and make an informed comment.

Vinyl junkies do not suck - they are the lifeblood of real music!

--------------------

Hail Santa...

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted August 14, 2009 14:01     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And nothing wrong with Star Wars either.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted August 14, 2009 14:23     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe some troll has hacked his account??

--------------------

String em up

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 14, 2009 21:29     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
go watch your goth youtube vids and in the great words of VOIVOD (from vinyl no less) "Fuck Off And Die" and while you're doing that I'll spin some of my awesome vinyl that I've collected over the last 30 years and spin it on one of my 3 turntables that I have set up through out the house!!!

Vinyl: where art art music really come to life

--------------------

yawn

SmedHed
VoivodFan
Member # 1041

posted August 14, 2009 22:09     Profile for SmedHed   Email SmedHed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Elitist snobs... what a waste of money for stupid collector geeks, why not donate to a soup kitchen, people w/ 2 coats should give one away?

A disc and record of the same thing when people are without food, selfish.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 14, 2009 22:18     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dude, are you in need of attention or something?

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 15, 2009 03:15     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Elitist snobs... what a waste of money for stupid collector geeks, why not donate to a soup kitchen, people w/ 2 coats should give one away?

I did give my first coat away. I sold the second to buy a copy of "Nothingface" on vinyl. It's hot here in New Orleans. I really don't need any coats.

Why do you hang around us stupid, elitist snob-collector geeks?

SmedHed, are you without food? This sounds personal.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted August 15, 2009 05:59     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You work in a soup kitchen yourselves?

You're bothered by a bunch of hardcore record collectors and you don't mind people buying lots of exclusive food and throwing away half of it? Probably we're an easier target than people who seriously have too much money. So here's something for you to aim your arrows at:

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Rev. Joel
VoivodFan
Member # 1024

posted August 15, 2009 11:10     Profile for Rev. Joel   Email Rev. Joel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The 2 copies of The Stooges LP are a nice touch.

--------------------

"Wow, a superpowers drug you can just rub into your skin? You'd think it'd be something you'd have to freebase."
- Philip J. Fry

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted August 15, 2009 11:18     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

so I assume you live a perfect life and give regularly to all deserving charities, leave no carbon footprint or eat mass produced meat?

Considering that these vinyl releases are in such limited numbers and appeal to a small number of fans of Voivod and the company releasing them are small time producers and not huge media corporations. I think that these releases are keeping these small time companies in jobs and putting food on their tables while also boosting their local economies. Thereby enabling them, if they wish, to contribute some portion of their earned money to whatever causes they wish, otherwise they would be unable to.

Charity is down to the individual and should not be condescending or judgmental of others like the attitude in your statement, which sounds more like it's coming more from snobbery or one-up-manship and narrow mindedness rather than a genuine and sincerely thoughtful place.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 15, 2009 12:18     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gorf/Smedhed is off his meds again, obviously.
shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted August 15, 2009 14:08     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
don't feed the troll - lol

Besides - the sound off vinyl has far more scope and nuance than cd

also - soup kitchen wtf? who just eats soup?

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted August 15, 2009 16:18     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shargraves:

also - soup kitchen wtf? who just eats soup?

obviously it's what smedhed believes tramps and the poor eat.

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted August 16, 2009 01:27     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

So you'll be selling your computer to raise money for the poor since you can use the ones at the library for free, correct?

And if not, you're an elitist snob.

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan