my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Let Me Get Your Opinion on Something ...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Let Me Get Your Opinion on Something ...
SmedHed
VoivodFan
Member # 1041

posted June 26, 2009 19:08     Profile for SmedHed   Email SmedHed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This new metal video for Stream of Passion
from "Flame Within" I think it rocks.

Now or Never
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtm7uWPiPNY

Street Spirit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di0bwqk89qE

They also cover "Street Spirit" by Radiohead, really great...

Thanx!

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 26, 2009 22:17     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I liked one or two songs off their last album a lot. What was the name of the big single off the last one?? The chorus on the first song you have here is nice but the rest of it..uhmmmmmmm....the Radiohead cover...okay. Nothing spectacular imo.
Jeffs
VoivodFan
Member # 164

posted June 26, 2009 22:24     Profile for Jeffs   Email Jeffs     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To be honest the new SOP is just lacking that spark.
Marcela has a great voice but I don't find the song writing up to par.

I'm surprised Arjen bailed on this project, "Embrace the Storm" was an awesome album, as was the live DVD.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted June 27, 2009 11:14     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that sucks...
SmedHed
VoivodFan
Member # 1041

posted June 27, 2009 15:19     Profile for SmedHed   Email SmedHed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffs:
To be honest the new SOP is just lacking that spark.
Marcela has a great voice but I don't find the song writing up to par.

I'm surprised Arjen bailed on this project, "Embrace the Storm" was an awesome album, as was the live DVD.

I think the songs were bad on "Embrace the Storm" except for a couple. I don't think Arjen is anything special. This album is better.

I know that melody being more simple can sound more powerful. Too much complexity can screw up the writing.

Most American bands are stuck on techinicality. e.g. New Metallica
yuck!

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted June 28, 2009 18:22     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This sounds just like Evanessance and in fact just about like all the rest of the 'female' metal vocalist out there. I mean what is it with that QUADROUPLE CHORUS all these ladies are using on their vocals ? it all sounds exactly the same.
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted June 28, 2009 19:37     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is coming from a person living in Finland, home of Nightwish and an army of clones of that band, so my opinion might be a little biased as I'm bored to death by this particular style. I don't consider this type of music as metal at all, I'd rather describe it as hard rock without the "hard" or the "rock" in most cases...but I'm drunk so I'll make an effort and listen to the songs. Hope I'll not fall asleep.

The first song is better than most of the crap I try avoid hearing on the radio and tv here. So, a good effort and less overproduced than many others. The singer has a good voice, and the song is concise (does not repeat the chorus 64 times as seems to be the custom). The Radiohead cover is just as boring as the original song, but it is well performed in any case. So, judging by only these two songs, I'd say this is one of the better bands of this kind. Thank you and good night.

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

SmedHed
VoivodFan
Member # 1041

posted June 30, 2009 15:54     Profile for SmedHed   Email SmedHed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know how the guy from Finland can lump in the likes of Leaves Eyes (obvious genius) or Flowing Tears (killer!) with more generic bands like Evanes, Trisiania, Nightwish and so on. No comparison, its like comparing Metallica with Destruction, Hammet can't hold a candle!

Sure the new Lacuna Coil sucks, and the new Midnattsol isn't great, but every band makes a bad one now and again.

Mostly though, as in the case with Catafalque, the Gothic Metal discs are great from start to finish, something rare in the music industry these days

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted July 07, 2009 17:05     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SmedHed:
No comparison, its like comparing Metallica with Destruction, Hammet can't hold a candle!

Mostly though, as in the case with Catafalque, the Gothic Metal discs are great from start to finish, something rare in the music industry these days

Heh, fun comparison...no offense meant, but it's just that to me the style these bands play more than often sounds very uninteresting and uninspired. I admit the songs you posted sound better than most of the female fronted Gothic bands, but still it does not work for me. They all sound alike to me, and I don't bother to concentrate on the details as there's nothing for me to get out of it.

To each his/her own of course and so on...you asked for opinions, you got mine. This is the kind of Gothic Metal I truly enjoy:

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

SmedHed
VoivodFan
Member # 1041

posted July 10, 2009 23:09     Profile for SmedHed   Email SmedHed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Like many new metal discs released these days, Gothic Metal songs do not contain necessarily a guitar lead.

Many do however, have heavy double bass and some guitar leads are present with harmonizing.

Gothic Metal is awesome. The first Catafalque disc "Unique" is a milestone, it should be in everyones collection.

Tiamat "Prey" is also essential. Something going on in Europe is missing from American metal, I'd say its innovation.

The radio bands are stale, even in the satellite metal stations. They need to stop blocking the promotion of Euro Metal here in the U.S.

Is every channel here owned by the mob or something?

The only bands promoted here anymore are U.S. bands why is that?

America is closed from the rest of the world, a closed society...

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted July 10, 2009 23:45     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SmedHed:
Is every channel here owned by the mob or something?

America is closed from the rest of the world, a closed society...

I think the american market is still the name of the game and even though radio is krap our underground is hardest to break, you gotta have killer kung-fu skills like Lacuna Coil

I dont really think america can be judged a closed society based on your observation of nobody liking this band and there just are not many teenyboppers here at vvf.

seen it, been there, done that...

were not trying to do the glam thing again anytime soon im sure.

SmedHed
VoivodFan
Member # 1041

posted July 11, 2009 01:43     Profile for SmedHed   Email SmedHed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Glam?

You mean like Robert Plant and that crappy Led Zeppelin. I know a guy who saw them in a bar for four dollars! Why?

Cause They Suck!

By the way, Pantera used to wear makup before Dimebag became some underground hero.
I used to have a Metal Forces with them in spandex and frizzed out hair and makeup!

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted July 11, 2009 08:52     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pantera !

never heard of it...

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted July 11, 2009 13:49     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Savage Thrust, hehe.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan