my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The Future Of Voivod (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: The Future Of Voivod
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted June 25, 2009 20:42     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Quite intersting interview with Away on the possible future of Voivod tnx to CHARTattack:

the future of voi vod

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

|  IP: Logged
marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted June 26, 2009 04:26     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks for the article. Seems a lot of things to come in the next few years: two album with Piggy's material, some records with Dan and lot of live shows around the world...
DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted June 26, 2009 06:29     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Please let Aways' dream come true. Damn, would that make me happy. Like X-Mas and birthday at once

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 26, 2009 09:56     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snake, Away, Blacky, Dan.

Amazing potential. Suppose Dan would need a Morgoth handle though...

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 27, 2009 07:46     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If Piggy was Voivod......with no Piggy, should they still call it Voivod? Because as much as we love and respect Dan, he's not Piggy.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 27, 2009 07:50     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
If Piggy was Voivod......with no Piggy, should they still call it Voivod? Because as much as we love and respect Dan, he's not Piggy.

im pretty much with you on this. please make some new music and please get an awesome new band name.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted June 28, 2009 01:17     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A new name is DEFINITELY in order if they were to continue as this lineup. This is no longer the brutal nomad it once was, though it has the potential to be a new roaming explorer if you catch my drift.

Please, for the respect of Piggy, DO continue, but with a new name.

Lord knows, Metallica should have done that 23 years ago.

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted June 28, 2009 06:25     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
screw the naysayers !
JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted June 28, 2009 11:39     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie 88:
A new name is DEFINITELY in order if they were to continue as this lineup. This is no longer the brutal nomad it once was, though it has the potential to be a new roaming explorer if you catch my drift.

Please, for the respect of Piggy, DO continue, but with a new name.

Lord knows, Metallica should have done that 23 years ago.

The Metallica comparison ain't really an equivalent of the situation Voivod are now in. Cliff Burton while a great loss was not the main contributor to the band, Hetfield was. In Voivod's case it's the opposite, Piggy was "the" musicmaker in the band and defined their sound over the course of nearly 3 decades. With his loss I thnk they should carry on under a different moniker.

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted June 28, 2009 11:42     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by escubria:
[QB]The Metallica comparison ain't really an equivalent of the situation Voivod are now in. Cliff Burton while a great loss was not the main contributor to the band, Hetfield was.QB]

I agree, it's not the same circumstance, but to me and many others, the heart left with Cliff. I still think there's plenty of life left for this band, but it's not Piggy's heart... But hey, that's just an opinion. Thank you for your take on matters, it's nice to read an actual justification for an opinion now and again.

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted June 28, 2009 11:47     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If they still feel like Voivod with Dan, then continue as Voivod. I can't believe that Piggy would mind at all. I think he would dig it...

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted June 28, 2009 12:24     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bollocks to changing the name! Voivod is as much a way of working, or a certain spirit of music, as King Crimson is.

I can't imagine King Crimson existing without Fripp but then Voivod were never a band with just one constant figurehead/dictator.

And remember that Blacky contributed plenty of riffs to the albums he played on.

I can't fucking wait to hear what this lineup can do on record!

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted June 28, 2009 16:54     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whenever they decide to go on under a new moniker, they will still be referred to as "ex-Voivod", anything they will put out will be compared to Voivod, everything they do shall be scrutinized (as usual) by us Voivod-fans and probably they will still play the old classics live, so why change the name.

Of course the name "Voivod" will raise expectations beyond human comprehension, but since they're not totally human anyway I'm sure they will meet those expectations without any effort.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted June 28, 2009 18:09     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie 88:
it's nice to read an actual justification for an opinion now and again.

http://www.voivodfan.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=004819

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 28, 2009 18:15     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
but since they're not totally human anyway I'm sure they will meet those expectations without any effort.

i think i just vomitted in my mouth a little.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 28, 2009 18:29     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I think to continue as VOIVOD is more out of respect and tribute to Piggy to keep going on in what he had a huge hand in forming many years that was and still is ahead of it's time. As much as a contributing factor that Piggy was the other 3 guys also helped create what became Voivod. Blacky left and there was still Voivod. Snake left and there was still Voivod. I totally respect everyones opinion on changing the name; but I for one would rather see VOIVOD live on.

I really like Em's comparison with King Crimson. As many times as they've changed, mutated, transformed, evolved, it was still King Crimson... and it wasn't just because Fripp was it, because there's been plenty of times he could have used the KC name to sell more records, but it just wasn't the the KC monster.

If it looks like, sounds like, smelss like, and tastes like Voivod... it must be VOIVOD. And from what I've seen from the recent tour... it's still VOIVOD, and I'd bet Piggy is smiling down and proud as hell.

--------------------

yawn

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 28, 2009 18:44     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
um, if piggy is smiling down, where is he, exactly? i'm going to say outer space because the allusion to heaven, or divinity, seems weird to me.
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted June 28, 2009 19:59     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
On stage of course, smiling down on us

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 28, 2009 21:06     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nia:
um, if piggy is smiling down, where is he, exactly? i'm going to say outer space because the allusion to heaven, or divinity, seems weird to me.

I certainly do not believe in God, I was just using it as a figure of speech. I'll assume he passed on to Morgoth where he's at peace.

--------------------

yawn

jf
VoivodFan
Member # 645

posted June 28, 2009 21:59     Profile for jf   Email jf     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My feelings on this.

I think if the triumvirat is comfortable both emotionally and musically with Dan, there is a great possible future for Voivod, but in the end, it's up to Dan.

Somehow, taking duty at the right side of Away Snake and Blacky is not a sinecure, as you'd expect. Technically, there is no question, If there is a guitar player able, it's Dan (He can play with very diverse players, diverse styles.).

But, it's one thing playing covers, it's quite something else composing without it becoming a pastiche, a simple mimicing of the style of Piggy (which in my opinion, at the risk of all of you throwing me rocks, he could pull off without much trouble). It will certainly be difficult for Dan, because he is already a literate composer, with his own full fledge musical pesonality. That's where the Blacky becomes crucial. Remember, Blacky was not just loosely tutored by Piggy , he was taught by him.

And if there is something I have hoped for, dreamed of, implored the Quasar for, it's more Voivod albums with Blacky. Alien knows to wich extent I have harrassed poor Blacky for him to make approach moves, for him to rejoin. Hell, I was already pleading for his return to Snake, a mere 2 weeks after he left. Of course , Piggy had always been in my equation and with the return of Snake, I felt the dream was within reach. Fate decide in favor a reshuffle.

Anyhoo,

If the chemistry between them goes, anything can happen, we could very well expect some kickass Voivod albums in the future.

I hope , it's clear. Dan can. But doing so, we're asking to put a part of himself on the side to serve the Voivod.

Dan, if somehow you read this: pretty please

addendum:

quote:
Manipulator on 10 november 2002 wrote:
Dan was like a curly piggy ! Man this guy can PLAY

addendum II :

quote:
Manipulator on Fri May 19, 2006 10:19 am wrote:

The house of Asterion by Jorge Luis Borges

"and the queen gave birth to a son wich is named Asterion" Apollodore, Bibl. III, L.

I know i am accused of pride, perhaps misanthropia, perhaps dementia. Those accusations (wich i will punish when the time comes) are ridicule. It is exact that i do not go out of my house;it is less exact that the doors of it, of wich the number are infinite(1), are open day and night to men and animals alike.

(1) The original text states 14, but there are reasons to believe, that in the mouth of Asterion, this number represents the infinite.

addendum III:

The album just completely floats by itself, reallly. I just can't get enough of A room with a VU.

edit: I meant literate, not lectured, doh!

--------------------

(11) Le texte original dit quatorze, mais maintes raisons invitent à supposer que, dans la bouche d'Astérion, ce nombre représente l'infini.

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted June 29, 2009 01:57     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess it's not up to us to decide, but I'm absolutely for keeping the name Voivod.

Like written before, without Blacky or Snake, it still was Voivod to me. I hope they will not change the name and keep this monster alive to the death

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

Simen
VoivodFan
Member # 1028

posted June 29, 2009 02:08     Profile for Simen   Email Simen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DBC:
I guess it's not up to us to decide, but I'm absolutely for keeping the name Voivod.

Like written before, without Blacky or Snake, it still was Voivod to me. I hope they will not change the name and keep this monster alive to the death

I totally agree. Voivod lives!!!

--------------------

A star - even if extinct thousands of years ago - still sends his light through the universe

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted June 29, 2009 05:05     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nia:

space and divinity go hand in hand and it is why humans are so bent on exploring it. I mean what do people think we are looking for up there ? Darwin LOL !

We are not very big on theology round here so lets get it right shall we

code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted June 29, 2009 09:21     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DBC:

I totally agree as well.

--------------------

Tonight we celebrate!

Max1334
VoivodFan
Member # 202

posted June 29, 2009 11:06     Profile for Max1334   Email Max1334     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Keep the name and go on.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan