my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » New Away Interview

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Away Interview
jf
VoivodFan
Member # 645

posted June 06, 2009 18:57     Profile for jf   Email jf     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Philipe Renaud, La Presse, 06/06/09

Original french text

Quebec cult band Voivod releases Infini June 23rd, the 15th album of a rich and influencial carrer which has remodeled heavy metal, here as eleswhere. This could very well be the last album of the band confides Michel "Away" Langevin, drummer and illustrator.

Rock fans, cherish this Voivod album, as it is the last. The last with the invaluable input of brilliant Denis "Piggy" D'Amour on guitar, prematurely disapeared in 2005, following his fight with cancer.

This posthumus record, as was also Katorz in 2006, contains the last tracks of guitar recorded by the pioneer for songs of his band, a band he founded with Michel Langevin in Jonquiere, in 1982.

"For this tour, I wish we can give as much shows as possible before we stop. But as far as writing new songs without Piggy..." Michel Langevin pauses. "I think I would like composing with Dan Mongrain", Quebec metal scene veteran who has taken duty on guitar since Piggy's death. "We'll have to think things over"

Voivod is 25 years of stage and records. It is , as a sole group of four musicians, the foundation of Quebec's metal history, a scene still recognised today for the technical quality of it's musicians, says
Langevin. Many Voivod albums are cited today by the greats of metal, starting with Nothingface (1989), the pinnacle of the band's discography, bringing thrash metal into progressive territory, a direction then unknown.

The sequel without Piggy

When a band is amongst the untouchables of metal, and it's guitarist, Denis Piggy D'Amour, still considered as one of the most avant-garde musician of it's trade, it's somewhat uneasy to pretend replacing him. Also, before being an outstanding guitar player, to Away, he was a childhood friend."We founded the band together (with Denis Belanger, singer) Apart from Katorz, he was always in the studio with me.It's hard to imagine a sequel without him."

But a sequel there will be. "At the request of fans, says Michel Langevin. After Dennis death's, we finished album Katorz, since he had already recorded 10 songs with Jason (Newsted, ex-Metallica bassist who joined the ranks of Voivod), but we weren't giving any concerts.This record was made under a state of shock, afterwards, we took some distance from Voivod. But , festivals throught the world started calling us up to play." After months of hesitations, members gave up to the pressure and hit thre road- Japan notably, for the first time. "It was incredible. The gig will be released on DVD" he promises.

Infini holds the last guitar tracks recorded by Piggy for Voivod, "but there remains recordings made by Piggy for a solo album" asures Langevin, thinking those songs will see the light of day sometime in the future, to very happy fans.

Voivod connoiseurs will notice concision in the songs and their structures, departing from their typical tone. The songs are short and straight to the point. Most fascinating is Dennis D'Amour's presence, intact: all guitar tracks are complete, the sound is powerful and radiates profusely.

"I didn't think I would've had to make Infini, nor Katorz either. I had moved along to something else, concentrating on my illustration work." Michel Langevin, who did the covers for all of his band's records, will be launching a book containing over 500 drawings.

"But the fans in our forum, at our site, insisted that we continued. Denis Bélanger was first to be fidgeting: we have to carry on. Coming back from Japan last year, I completely changed my mind. I thought people would be offended to see us continue, but I realised there were lots of young ones with Voivod t-shirts who thought they could never see us on stage."

translated by manipulator

--------------------

(11) Le texte original dit quatorze, mais maintes raisons invitent à supposer que, dans la bouche d'Astérion, ce nombre représente l'infini.

|  IP: Logged
shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted June 06, 2009 20:26     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
nice - thankyou!

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted June 07, 2009 02:08     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

glad to see there may yet be more.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted June 07, 2009 03:47     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Many thanks!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted June 07, 2009 09:06     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wonderfull, That's the new I want to hear!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 08, 2009 10:26     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DAMN!!!!
There is so much great news contained in that interview. Best of all the possibility of Voivod continuing with Dan.
I really don't think Piggy would want to see Voivod's legacy end. That's why he left so many songs to be finished. I think that really helped in the healing process for the rest of the band and the fans. I know it did for me. And now that the band has momentum, it would be ashame to stop.
Piggy's legendary status unfortunately came to an end way too early, but he will never be forgotten, and the music will live on forever. There is no reason that Voivod shouldn't carry on what Piggy helped start. I would never feel the band moving forward from Infini as an insult to Piggy... to me it would be more out of respect to continue what he helped begin.

totally stoked about the future of Voivod.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 08, 2009 11:44     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I greatly look forward to a Dan / JY collaboration......huge possibilities there!
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 08, 2009 15:11     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nicely put schroeder! Is anyone filming/videotaping the current tour? For future release? Or something....

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 08, 2009 15:18     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
There is no reason that Voivod shouldn't carry on what Piggy helped start. I would never feel the band moving forward from Infini as an insult to Piggy... to me it would be more out of respect to continue what he helped begin.

totally stoked about the future of Voivod.

i'm sorry, i don't want to be a pain here, but i really have to say this. piggy did not "help" to start voivod. without piggy there would have been no voivod. piggy was the main songwriter.

edited to add: anyway, this is just language semantics, and i don't want you to think i'm coming down on you schroed.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 08, 2009 21:08     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I totally agree with you NIA, I just worded my sentence wrong, or worded it how I see and hear things from a fans point of view.

Obviously, Piggy was the main talent at the beginning and taught the rest of the guys a lot, and things certainly wouldn't have been the same if there was someone else in the band. Carrying on in his memory still seems to be the right thing to do... maybe I'm wrong, but I'd hate to see it end when there is so much more that can be accomplished.

--------------------

yawn

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted June 09, 2009 01:36     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know I've been a naysayer in the past about the reactivation of Voivod, though I have grown to soften my views about Voivod continuing live, particularly since JY's text about it... That having been said, I'm really squeamish about Voivod continuing with new music w Dan (no offense to Dan who is really doing a great job) *unless* JY was on bass full time. I had high hopes for Jasonic and recognize his contribution but Blackie has so much more history, it just seems to capture more authenticity (for me).

Sorry to be a downer, but I simply wouldn't be very honest with myself or any of you if I didn't say so.

VOIVOD Lives, indeed.
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan