my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Jason Newsted On Leaving Metallica: “I Have Never Looked Back”

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jason Newsted On Leaving Metallica: “I Have Never Looked Back”
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 31, 2009 12:19     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jason Newsted On Leaving Metallica: “I Have Never Looked Back”

Jason Newsted’s 15-year stint playing bass for one of heavy metal’s biggest acts came to an end nine years ago, when he exited Metallica for “private and personal reasons and the physical damage I have done to myself over the years while playing the music that I love.” On April 4th, when Metallica are inducted into Cleveland, Ohio’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Newsted will be there to accept rock’s highest honor, and he’s even agreed to reunite with drummer Lars Ulrich, frontman James Hetfield and guitarist Kirk Hammett for an impromptu set he promises will include “at least one song about Satan.” (Revisit the band’s career in Metallica: Through the Years in Photos.)

Since splitting the band to form the short-lived Echobrain, Metallica fans have wondered whether Newsted has ever regretted leaving the band. With less than a week to go before the Rock Hall, Newsted tells Rolling Stone the answer is absolutely not.

“I tell you very honestly, 1 billion percent, I have never regretted leaving Metallica,” Newsted says. “It was the right thing for everyone. It was the right thing to do for the camp, that’s it. I’ve never told anyone that I wanted to go back or anything like that, not once. I made up my mind. It was not an easy thing to do, but it was something I had to do. I thought about it very much before I pulled the trigger, and because of that, I have never looked back. The past is where its supposed to be.”

Perhaps that’s why Newsted has yet to see a copy of Guitar Hero: Metallica, a video game that doesn’t even feature him in pixilated glory. According to Newsted, he wasn’t even aware of his absence from the game.

“I haven’t seen it, but it’s a wonderful thing that we were able to do, as long as it’s the music that we played and we recorded that everybody is playing along to or listening to,” he says. “And a new generation is getting turned on to Metallica… all of these are positive things. But I’ve never touched a Guitar Hero. I don’t play video games. I play the real instruments. I don’t waste my time with anything else.”

Newsted, who says he’s recently put the finishing touches on Voivod’s 15th studio offering (it will be the band’s last effort featuring late guitarist Denis “Piggy” D’Amour’s contributions, and is slated for release in June), says Metallica is worthy of the Rock Hall, and says he’s still a fan of his former band.

“I was one of the biggest fan of the band before I went in, and I’m a Metallica fan still,” he says. “I was always the one person in the world who had an inside look and an outside look at the band, at the same time, and now, I’ve been out for a while, and I’m able to be a fan again.”

Does that mean Newsted likes Death Magnetic? “It was better than St. Anger.”

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted March 31, 2009 14:07     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who?
ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted March 31, 2009 14:09     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He may have never looked back, except for that "if James had said 'come rock with me', I would have" comment from a couple of years ago. Whatever...nice to see that Jason is still alive after ~3 years of disappearance.

This article is also worth a read:
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/metallica-reuniting-black-album-band-for-1003957120.story

The new Voivod album will be named "Infini". You heard it here first.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted March 31, 2009 15:27     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who cares...

New VV album in June? Now, that's interesting.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 31, 2009 17:33     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's a damn shame Newsted and Burton aren't included on the Metallica guitar hero for the songs they had a part in a played on the albums in the past.

I do think it's great that Metallica has invited everyone from their past to be part of the induction ceremony, giving props to all who contributed in one way or another to get them where they are today. From what I read the only important person unable to attend is Mustaine due to sheduling conflict (touring out of the country i think). They even have Ron McGovney showing up. They seemed to have learned a lot about themselves thru all the years of having a "life coach" on hand.

Now when the fuck is RUSH going to get inducted?

--------------------

yawn

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted March 31, 2009 18:17     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I think it's a damn shame Newsted and Burton aren't included on the Metallica guitar hero for the songs they had a part in a played on the albums in the past.

I really don't think a video game is that important.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 01, 2009 19:47     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You might think differently if you spent 15 years creating music with a band that sold millions and then got dissed when a game was created that will also sell millions of copies which featured music you were involved in helping make.

I don't play video games, but I know damn well THEY ARE HUGE, and I'm sure the band is making megabucks on it.

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 02, 2009 11:20     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No kidding, schro...have y'all seen the guitar hero commercial with Sucktallica? UGH...I'm literally sick of them. XMRadio's "metal" station went all Metallica for one month and everytime I turn that channel on they're playing one of their new tunes and I can't fuckin' stand it. LAME LAME LAME...Hetfield's vocals are the worst. And the song structure is shite too. Barf.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted April 02, 2009 13:33     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe Lars' "Personal Development Coordinator" said it would be a good thing to do...to help him heal his past feelings or some shit like that.
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 02, 2009 15:48     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
'Ride The Lightning' shuffled itself onto my iPod the other day, at full blast as I was driving through the city.

Regardless of whatever they've done since 1986, that record is just fucking peerless and sounds as incredible today as it must have done in 1876 or whenever yeah? That must be why, deep down, I still give a shit about the band.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan