my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Mastodon: Crack The Skye (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 

Author Topic: Mastodon: Crack The Skye
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted May 27, 2009 10:24     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Keyboards can be great when used tastefully, adding all kinds of textures and atmospheres to the music without being to dominant. Mastodon knows this. Most symphonic power metal bands don't.

Btw, 'Crack The Skye' sounds great on vinyl.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 27, 2009 17:36     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
finally got around to watching the bonus dvd today. INCRDEBLE and worth buying CtS all over again if you don't have this version. They go over EVERYTHING. Lyrical ideas behind all the songs, how they came up with shit, why they did what they did, and a bunch of personal stuff also. It just made me like CtS that much more and I didn't think that could be possible.

I can't see how anything else released this year can top this album. It's just got it all.

--------------------

yawn

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted May 27, 2009 20:19     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm even wondering if and how they're ever gonna top this album themselves.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 27, 2009 21:56     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The song Crack The Skye is about the drummers sister who commited suicide when she was 11 and he was 15 and it's his emotions he's relating about the situation.

Oblivion is about and out of body experience where basically they can't get back to their body.

The Czar is about Rasputian.

There's a lot more infor on each of these and the other tunes, but it's all I can remember right now.

so, who can give me review of THE WORKHORSE CHRONICLES dvd. Amazon's write up sounds like it's cool and it's on my wish list, but I'd rather here from people I trust... or someone here

I'm dying to hear what they come up with for the next album... it might just make my brain explode.

--------------------

yawn

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted May 27, 2009 22:03     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They made a special website for the album with an ultra trippy animation : http://www.cracktheskye.com/

Voivod touring with Mastodon would be cool.

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 27, 2009 22:30     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
so, who can give me review of THE WORKHORSE CHRONICLES dvd. Amazon's write up sounds like it's cool and it's on my wish list, but I'd rather here from people I trust... or someone here

It starts with some interview with the guys, then a lot of songs from different concerts. Songs are in chronological order, up to Leviathan.

It reminds me of Fear Factory's Digital Connectivity in the way it's done, there is no such thing as a "main concert", it mixes songs from various gigs as I mentioned before, quality varying from pro-shoot to "one-camera-boot". Needless to say the musical quality is top notch. It's also nice to see the evolution of the band on stage, it even contains gigs with their former vocalist, who only recorded a 7-inch single, I believe.

Well worth the money spent, imo.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted May 28, 2009 16:21     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
I'm even wondering if and how they're ever gonna top this album themselves.

I was thinking the same thing, but then realized it doesn't really matter much. Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon, which is universally recognized as a "classic" - and their other releases, while also very good, never quite approached it. Same thing with Led Zeppelin IV, etc. And these are always the albums toward which new listeners are steered, as representative of a band's best work.

I think a few people on this forum might say that Nothingface was Voivod's peak - not to take anything away from the other awesome Voivod releases (I like 'em all), but Nothingface is the one where, when people say "Voivod, huh? Never listened to them...which album should I start with?", you'd say "Nothingface. Listen to that one, and then we can talk about the others."

For Mastodon, that album is Crack the Skye. But I think it's more than that: This is one album where everyone will look back on it in ten years and say "wow, that one's an all-time classic". Plus, they've got just the right amount of notoriety in the press, critics, charts, etc., where this might actually be possible. It'll take some time, but this one is Mastodon's "Dark Side of the Moon" - not to take away from the past or the future, but rarely (if ever) does a band top itself like this.

Let's reconvene back here in ten years and see if I'm right.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 28, 2009 19:48     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well then The Workhorse Chronicles will be added to my cart on my next Amazon shopping spree. Thanks for the review.

Just received Remission today. I keep digging further back into their catalog. It's interesting to become a fan this late in their career and then go back album by album and hear where it started. Kinda like watching someone age backwards. It's definitely better to listen a band grow up and evolve if you catch them early in their career and get to hear them change (hopefully) and take chances and just grow musically.

CTS might just very well be their Dark Side Of The Moon, but what I have always found interesting is that most bands landmark albums aren't usually the ones I would choose as my favorite. I usually pull Animals or The Final Cut for PF.

Crack The Skye seems to be making the same kind of buzz among fellow musicians, critics, and listeners that Radiohead's OK COMPUTER made when it was released. Although I still don't understand why that album is so well praised. I've listened to it time and time again and it still bores to no end.

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 29, 2009 12:34     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Slaytanic! Nice signature line...I s'pose I fall into the Concentration Camp skinny group. Now all's I need is a Dino Cazares fat boyfriend...haha. I hope Mr. Luna doesn't see this, or I'll never hear the end of it!!
(oh...still don't have Crack the Skye)

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Rev. Joel
VoivodFan
Member # 1024

posted May 29, 2009 16:17     Profile for Rev. Joel   Email Rev. Joel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I usually pull Animals or The Final Cut for PF.

Hooray for The Final Cut! Totally underrated album.

--------------------

"Wow, a superpowers drug you can just rub into your skin? You'd think it'd be something you'd have to freebase."
- Philip J. Fry

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted May 29, 2009 16:19     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
<snip />

I agree with you...although I wouldn't inflict The Final Cut on a new PF listener! That one took some getting used to, at least for me.

As for OK Computer, ...well, that was something that I tried really hard to like (after all, everyone said I should), but never did enjoy. It probably got all the attention it did because it went in a very different direction (for them, anyway), and everyone decided that different == good. Even when it isn't.

The other thing that got people talking about "OK" was that it was a concept album, long after people pronounced the concept album concept dead. (can't believe I just wrote that.)

I tried to like OK Computer, but for me it's a really depressing album. So there it sits, gathering dust after all these years. Radiohead's newer stuff is even weirder, and not in a good way. Guess I'm not emo/goth/sad enough to appreciate it.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 31, 2009 12:56     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Luna:
Hi Slaytanic! Nice signature line...I s'pose I fall into the Concentration Camp skinny group. Now all's I need is a Dino Cazares fat boyfriend...haha. I hope Mr. Luna doesn't see this, or I'll never hear the end of it!!
(oh...still don't have Crack the Skye)

Thank you! A couple of months ago I reached my limit and was almost Dino's lost twin brother. Now I'm working on reaching concentration camp skinny again.

It will be hard.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 01, 2009 15:01     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Really? Well, good luck on the getting thinner bit.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 04, 2009 21:59     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm convinced that Crack The Skye is laced with some kind of sonic nicotine because I am hooked and addicted to it. FUCK THIS ALBUM IS INCREDIBLE!!!!

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 05, 2009 11:49     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
...laced with some kind of sonic nicotine.

Kinda like the local brew pub's beer...OMG, that shit fucks me up!

--------------------

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 28, 2009 18:21     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i love the vocals so hard. they sound amazing playing this album live, and the drumming was tight as fuck.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 28, 2009 18:40     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have been completely sucked in to CTS and have been collecting every cd and vinyl item related to it. picture discs, promos, colored vinyl, instrumental versions... I'm fuckin obsessed.

I like them better now because of the singing. It's understandable. They are so much more diverse on this album than previous ones, although I can understand if you were hoping for something totally brutal, violent, and ugly like the early releases... you won't really find that on CTS. The band has certainly evolved from where they began and obviously some early fans aren't going to like it, and some newer fans (like me) are going to go total apeshit over it. This album just about has everything in it that I love about music.

I blame Mez for getting me hooked on this and opening my ears to how good Blood Mountain is, and needing to check out CTS.

To each his own.

Probably my album of the year... I doubt even the new Porcupine Tree will top this.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan