my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » How to get the E-Force bass sound

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to get the E-Force bass sound
ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted January 07, 2009 19:49     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm listening to Negatron for the first time in a while, and this time am really listening to Eric's bass lines. Besides the ferocious attack, the tone is...how to describe it... Vicious? Dirty? Sinister? Whatever it is, I want to make those same (or similar) noises at home.

A long time ago, Blacky wrote here about his setup, and I was wondering if Eric would be willing to do the same. E-Force, I know you lurk here from time to time, so how about it? I've got a feeling that I'm not the only bass player who could benefit from a little inspiration!

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

|  IP: Logged
Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted January 08, 2009 02:24     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi...

First off, I'd use the rear pickup (near bridge) to get a more precise sound.
Then just try some distortion pedals.
I got a Boss MetalZone, modified, which I like, and a MXR M80, which is excellent, because it's a DI box plus distortion, including an efficient denoiser.

There are pedals which sound good when you play at soft volume, and vice versa.
Some, like Blacky, achieved their sound by overdriving Marshall guitar amps, best at very loud volumes I guess.
But Eric's tone seems like just shredding distortion you'll only get by using pedals.

But the best shredding and powerful bass sound, according to me, is achieved thru 2 amps: one clean, for a good fundament, and a distorted second one.

If you only use distortion, there's danger the sound gets muddy and lacks of bottom end power.

Again, with the MXR M80 pedal I've discovered a fantastic tool, because you got two channels in this thing; distorted (with or without denoiser) or clean or both blended as you like.

I can really recommend this thing; you only need one amp then, and get a ripping sound.

Keep it up......
cheers, S.

PS: I did an embarrassingly bad quality video I uploaded on YouTube (probably because of some xmas depression) where I try to play "Experiment" (Dimension Hatröss) by our mighty VoiVod. That song changed my life. Maybe I'll have to re-record it, shitty cam etc., but you may get some slight impression of that pedal (MXR M80) I use. I only distorted a bit on this one though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzSRKQKDk4k&feature=channel_page

--------------------

What the...?

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 08, 2009 14:23     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds more like a fat old P-bass through a valve amp to me. E-Force has one hell of a tone.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted January 08, 2009 22:52     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It wouldn't hurt to have a stereo-out and record one line as direct-inject to mix in the back. Bzzzzz!

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

Imran
VoivodFan
Member # 197

posted January 15, 2009 10:58     Profile for Imran   Email Imran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonutz:
I don't know how he does it, but I think this is where the good ol' advice from Dee Snider fits:

PLAY IT LOUD MUTHA!

That made me laugh!!!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan