my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » VOIVOD NEWS DEC 08 (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 

Author Topic: VOIVOD NEWS DEC 08
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 11, 2009 19:06     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The whole voivod concept has always been one step ahead of what our mere mortal minds can handle.... although I'm still not too keen on Negatron.

By "not too keen" I mean "still better than any other band you think might be good, but not as good as my tiny selfish mind wants it to be".

Ahhhhh... been a while since I sat drunk and smoking in front of voivodfan.com! It's good to be home.

|  IP: Logged
Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted January 12, 2009 00:09     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1) Big fan of Eric's vocals, they helped bring the thrash back to Voivod at a time when it was not just slipping away but totally gone. Of course, the thrash sound since left with him as well. I miss it, and have a hard time with their output since then.

2) I like Jason as an enthusiastic Voivod fan (and financial backer), and he can hold his own on bass, but I think his playing in Voivod is fucking horrible. Sorry. I tried.

3) My easily attainable dream which won't happen: Release the final album as a DVD - It could hold the entire album in three versions - One with Jason on bass, one with Blacky on bass, one with Eric on bass (and maybe some vocals too?).

4) I'm not interested in anything this band does without Piggy. No disrespect meant to Dan, it's just how I feel about it. However, I *am* interested in anything Blacky does, ever.

I calls 'em like I sees 'em, folks. Happy new year to all.

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted January 12, 2009 03:32     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonutz:
Well, I'll take h's example and elaborate a little.

I think it's RIGHT that they had Jason track all the bass lines for this new album, and that it's gonna be released the way it was planned in the first place. Why? Because they don't repeat the mistake of "lost Eric album".

Remember 2001-2002? Everybody was whining "oh please bring Snake back". Which they did, and had to scrap the full album worth of new material - because it wasn't written by or for Snake.

Now they have another album-worth of material in nearly finished state, written with Jason's style in mind. Again everybody is excited about the latest touring lineup, but having yet another album scrapped and/or redone would be another huge mistake that the guys decided not to make.

There was another plan when they discovered the late Piggy recordings, to use that on the yet-unplanned albums. I guess that stuff, after some work, can be completed with all past members and maybe some overdubs by Dan-Obelix.

[rant]

Everybody's constant whining about Voivod's heavier direction and waiting for Dimension Hatross Part Deux has ruined the Eric lineup. Now everybody's whining about rockier direction and still wait for Dimension Hatross Part Deux. Hello? True musicians are not (and should not be!) enterprises like Disney, aimed at producing endless clones of their past successes. Dimension Hatross Part Deux is not coming (and rightfully so). Something else is - with luck, it's gonna be a masterpiece, without luck, it's gonna be 100 storeys above average. (And yet DHp2 did happen - but nobody noticed - it's called Phobos.)

Give the guys a break. Seems like everybody knows better than they do what the new Voivod must sound like. Then why not just record something yourself and pray it's better? Just shut the whining up!

[/rant]

Sorry. Couldn't resist. I'll keep to my usual low-profile single-liners from now on.

I second that!

I'm really glad Jason came in, because that is imo one of the importent facts in Voivod why we still can enjoy them.

Like I read last week in an interview with T.G. Fisher "Fans want to hear another Morbed Tales or ITP, but that isn't how it works, we were different in those days than we are now and we want it to sound like we feel about it nowadays...." Something like that.

I'm really happy for Voivod they still are in business and are creating music Voivodian style, sounding new or old, I don't care. I accept the way they do it, because it's their band.

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

Quazar
VoivodFan
Member # 800

posted January 12, 2009 10:18     Profile for Quazar   Email Quazar     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool! Maybe some new Aut'chose stuff are planned to be heard!

New stuff without Piggy seems weird to me in the name of Voivod, but who doesn't want butter on his toast. I don't want to see Away or Snake flipping burgers or pumping gaz. However Dan will do, Away always have great ideas. But when Piggy left, he brings with him his spirit, and this is more than a Liberatore.

Cool for the next DVD, I have already my own homemade footage for this line-up from Trois-Rivières, security guys are always shy a little bit to find a camera betwen the legs (I won't tell where I've put the stand). It will be nice to see all these Japanese faces singing Voivod songs for the first time.

As for the DVoD-2, I can be satisfied with my own collection of live shoot from Negatron and Phobos, so I still can wait.

Except for DVoD-3, don't get any stuff from this period, at the show before Ozzy, in Mtl they only played 6 songs (including ''Astronomy'').

In a really bad case, if I'm really in need I just got to look to my girlfriend from Jonquière (Arvida to be honest), who have an amazing pig collection, loves horror and alien movies and have a father owner of Nectar's ''Remember the Futur'' in vinyl.

Don't need anything else to be sure I won't forget my favorite band, I thank you again for keeping this high school project alive!

Another Voivod could be also great just to hear Eric's era. There's great tracks from this period.

The ultimate track is ''Jack Luminous''!!!
And I never find it live, even from my 93-94 Voivod section.

--------------------

Party de l'interzone!

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted January 12, 2009 10:30     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Remember 2001-2002? Everybody was whining "oh please bring Snake back".

Now this is new to me. I never heard whining 'bout this on this board, and on the other board. What was the reason back then to bring back Snake and lose Eric? Was it because Jason was coming to VOivod?

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 12, 2009 16:26     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DBC:

Like I read last week in an interview with T.G. Fisher "Fans want to hear another Morbed Tales or ITP, but that isn't how it works, we were different in those days than we are now and we want it to sound like we feel about it nowadays...." Something like that.

Yeah, but Monotheist is at least as good as their earlier albums!

--------------------

String em up

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted January 12, 2009 17:35     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Late to the party, but...

> PHOBOS WOULD BE BETTER AS AN INSTRUMENTAL RECORD, NO VOCALS.

I strenuously disagree. All you have to do is listen to "Forlorn", and pay attention to the betrayal, angst and sadness in Eric's voice. It's far more haunting than "Forgotten in Space" ever was.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 12, 2009 19:03     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulussie:
Now this is new to me. I never heard whining 'bout this on this board, and on the other board. What was the reason back then to bring back Snake and lose Eric? Was it because Jason was coming to VOivod?

Yeah, I may be a moaning old bag, but I don't recall this ever being among any of my whinges and rants either!

--------------------

String em up

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 13, 2009 13:40     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShredTilDead:
All you have to do is listen to "Forlorn", and pay attention to the betrayal, angst and sadness in Eric's voice. It's far more haunting than "Forgotten in Space" ever was.

I have chills down my spine just thinking about that song. Phobos is truely an unsung masterpiece!

Now, I really liked "Katorz", and can't wait for the next one, whoever is on bass. It's Piggy, I'll be perfectly happy to hear him shred!

quote:
and maybe some overdubs by Dan-Obelix.

So you guys finally found his Voivod moniker! Good one!

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted January 13, 2009 18:25     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShredTilDead:
Late to the party, but...

> PHOBOS WOULD BE BETTER AS AN INSTRUMENTAL RECORD, NO VOCALS.

I strenuously disagree. All you have to do is listen to "Forlorn", and pay attention to the betrayal, angst and sadness in Eric's voice. It's far more haunting than "Forgotten in Space" ever was.

I don't like Eric's growling/screaming voice, it gets annoying. I prefer Snake's, he's more musical. As far as Phobos is concerned I prefer just to hear the instruments as I think the songs are more like instrumentals anyway.

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted January 14, 2009 15:22     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by escubria:

I don't like Eric's growling/screaming voice, it gets annoying. I prefer Snake's, he's more musical. As far as Phobos is concerned I prefer just to hear the instruments as I think the songs are more like instrumentals anyway.

Good everyone has his/her own taste. You have got me playing Phobos 4 times in a row tomorrow at work!

--------------------

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted January 14, 2009 18:05     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
'Phobos' definitely is one of Voivod better albums. Even with Eric on vox. It could have needed more cowbell though...

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 14, 2009 22:38     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love "Phobos" and I also think it is Dimension Hatröss pt. 2, as I was reading hex's post I was wondering if he would mention it.

quote:
Dan-Obelix

The year is 2009AD. Metal is entirely occupied by metalcore/emo/goth kids. Well, not entirely... One small band of indomitable cannucks still holds out against the invaders. And life is not easy for the members of whinning bands like Nightwish, Avenged Sevenfold, Shadows Fall, Lacuna Coil...

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 15, 2009 13:54     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic:
The year is 2009AD. Metal is entirely occupied by metalcore/emo/goth kids. Well, not entirely... One small band of indomitable cannucks still holds out against the invaders. And life is not easy for the members of whinning bands like Nightwish, Avenged Sevenfold, Shadows Fall, Lacuna Coil...

As an old Astérix fan, I actually got a kick out of that post! And I didn't know brazilians were familiar with Astérix... or is it that you're pretty good with Google?

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 15, 2009 17:36     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:
As an old Astérix fan, I actually got a kick out of that post! And I didn't know brazilians were familiar with Astérix... or is it that you're pretty good with Google?

ahem,

"The 33 main books or albums (one of which is a compendium of short stories) have been translated into more than 100 languages and dialects. Besides the original French, most albums are available in Estonian, English, Dutch, German, Danish, Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Spanish, Catalan, Basque, Portuguese (and Brazilian Portuguese), Italian, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, modern Greek, Turkish, Slovenian, Bulgarian, Serbian and Croatian. Beyond modern Europe, some albums have also been translated into languages as diverse as Esperanto, Indonesian, Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, Bengali, Afrikaans, Arabic, Hindi, Hebrew, Frisian, Latin and Ancient Greek.

In France, in Finland, Poland and especially in Germany, several volumes were translated into a variety of regional languages and dialects, such as Alsatian, Breton and Chtimi (Picard) in France, Swabian and Low German in Germany, Kashubian[citation needed] and Silesian[citation needed] in Poland and Savo, Karelia, Rauma and Helsinki slang dialects in Finland. Also, in Portugal, a special edition of the first volume, Asterix the Gaul, was translated into local language Mirandese.

In the Netherlands several volumes were translated into Friesian, a language related to Dutch spoken in the province of Friesland. Also in the Netherlands two volumes were translated into Limburgish, a regional language spoken not only in Dutch Limburg but also in Belgian Limburg and North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. Hungarian-language books have been issued in Yugoslavia for the Hungarian minority living in Serbia. Although not a fully autonomic dialect, it slightly differs from the language of the books issued in Hungary. In Greece, a number of volumes have appeared in the Cretan Greek and Pontic Greek dialects and in Ancient Greek."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix#Translations

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 16, 2009 05:18     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Still tickles me now that the druid was named Getafix.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 18, 2009 21:51     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nia answered for me already. I'm familiar with the Asterix books since I was a child. Still have all the books, I always buy the new ones at the date of brazilian release. Obelix is actually a perennial favourite HQ character of mine.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted January 29, 2009 23:57     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
> So you guys finally found his Voivod moniker! Good one!

I have a better idea for Mr. Mongrain: Mongo.

Snake, Blacky, Away, and Mongo. Has a nice ring to it. The big dude in 'Blazing Saddles' (the one who punched the horse) was named Mongo, and Dan is a big dude too, so...

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted January 30, 2009 18:29     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
THE MONGOID
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 03, 2009 14:13     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mongobélix?
Diamanda
VoivodFan
Member # 604

posted February 24, 2009 04:56     Profile for Diamanda   Email Diamanda     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Best News for me are, Voivod is coming back to Germany this Year, that makes me really happy, i hope i can see them twice, @ Bang your Head for sure and maybe i can travel to the Summer Breeze Festival!!!
cu there and have a SAFE flight!

--------------------

It's too late
Korgull rules the earth!!!

Imran
VoivodFan
Member # 197

posted March 03, 2009 13:00     Profile for Imran   Email Imran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Marco Neves would have fit well into Voivod.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan