my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » VOIVOD NEWS DEC 08 (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: VOIVOD NEWS DEC 08
Trish
VoivodFan
Member # 364

posted December 30, 2008 02:30     Profile for Trish   Email Trish     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
jeez,what plan-it are we on now?
 |  IP: Logged
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 30, 2008 03:57     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From another website:

quote:
I forgot to mention that Jason wanted to play the bass parts on the new album in the spirit of the songs written by Voivod Mach 3.
At first he thought my idea of having Eric and Blacky play on it was great.
Then he realised that he grew attached to the songs since he was part of the writing and demoing process with Piggy, Snake and I in 2004. I really respect his decision. I must add that he feels bad for Eric, Blacky and all the Voivodians.
I'm sure we'll find a way to get everybody involved in the future, with Dan Mongrain onboard.
Only 2 songs for Snake to sing and we're done!
- Away

--------------------

tsawyerfam
VoivodFan
Member # 992

posted December 30, 2008 12:37     Profile for tsawyerfam   Email tsawyerfam     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't wait for the DVD and the new record.

I am also looking forward to the Mach IV material in 09? 2010?

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted December 30, 2008 12:55     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
See? There's your answer then.

Really what I'd like to hear are more bands branching out and doing something distinctive like Voivod did in their earlier work. Which really is a testament to how beyond their time they were.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 30, 2008 18:11     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm waiting for a full blown Paranoland album also !!!!
3 songs just isn't enough anymore to make my ears happy and head explode. Yes, I'm getting greedy... so what?!?!

--------------------

yawn

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted December 30, 2008 18:26     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn right, Paranoland is great!

--------------------

String em up

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted December 30, 2008 19:44     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i think good things will happen in 2009 and everything will unfold the way it should.
RIFLEFIST
VoivodFan
Member # 180

posted December 30, 2008 21:57     Profile for RIFLEFIST   Email RIFLEFIST     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WE ARE SPOILED !!!!!!!!! Some of us don't realize this! Cheers to VOIVOD all in store for 2009!!!
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted December 30, 2008 22:28     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Eh. When I'd heard that Blacky was to play on the new album, I was ecstatic, but I also thought it was too good to be true. Seems as though the old adage is true.

I'm happy that Jason has been there to help them get through a lot of the tough times over the past few years. His dedication as a fan-turned-member is everything that any one of us would have loved to be part of, provided we had the position of power to do so.

With that said, for Voivod's music, he's about 60% the bass player Blacky is, so take that for what it's worth. Compare the styling and you'll find an adept, precise musician playing in place of one who's organic style, sound, and feel are what Voivod were made of. There is only one Blower Bass.

I too am happy to hear that there will be new things to hear in the future.

quote:
I must add that he feels bad for Eric, Blacky and all the Voivodians.

This Voivodian says, "Save it".

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted December 31, 2008 05:16     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulussie:
As I mentioned before I cannot wait for the DVOD-2 to come out and for a European tour.

The Japanese concert on DVD I do not care about. I can imagine Voivod is proud about this and wants to bring this out.

If the new material is in the line of S/T and Katorz I do not care also...
I will buy it to keep my Voivod collection up to date, no more no less....

Sorry...

But who asked my opinion??

I like to add to this that I am very pleased and very proud that Voivod still finds a way to continue even after these difficult times. It is just the fact that with the start of "Voivod Mach 3" the band kind of lost its heaviness and weardness in my opinion. So if Voivod would lose some of the more "poppy" tunes like on S/T and Katorz and bring back some heavy and weird stuff like on their other ones I'd be sooooooooooooooo happy......

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted December 31, 2008 06:34     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
without Jason, there probably wouldn't be any new releases.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted December 31, 2008 09:25     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
More Voivod in 2009? The year's looking great already. Bring it on!
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted December 31, 2008 19:51     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm...so with Jason onboard for this one as well, maybe the new title should simply be called "Re-Katorz", I know Jason's really familiar with how that process works!

I am also disappointed as well with Blacky and Eric not playing on the new material, I do hope that Re-Katorz is a little better, or should I say "weirder", than Katorz was.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 31, 2008 19:57     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by escubria:
without Jason, there probably wouldn't be any new releases.

Bingo! Keep in mind that we will hear from Voivod long after Re-Katorz, Quinze or whatever they might call it.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted January 01, 2009 21:54     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nia:
i think good things will happen in 2009 and everything will unfold the way it should.

You all have your answer right there. That's all I needed to know. Now let's show a bit of trust and wait things out...

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 09, 2009 08:40     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sometimes it occurs to me that Voivod's biggest problem is their total genius. I've just been listening to an online metal radio show that played 'Polaroids' from Katorz. From the perspective of Voivod's back catalogue, it's not anywhere near their greatest work. From the perspective of every other song played on that 3 hour show, it stood out by a billion miles.

We've been spoilt with the greatest riffs of all time! We're hooked and in need of a fix. Bring on the new record. I'm sure it'll be good - but if it's great then the planets will align and universal peace will come to pass!

Just felt like a Voivod based rant... been a while!

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted January 09, 2009 09:22     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My thoughts exactly. Cheers h!

"Polaroids" will be in my player tonight.

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted January 09, 2009 14:14     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cosmic coincidence...

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 09, 2009 14:39     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonutz:

I think it's RIGHT that they had Jason track all the bass lines for this new album, and that it's gonna be released the way it was planned in the first place. Why? Because they don't repeat the mistake of "lost Eric album".

Remember 2001-2002? Everybody was whining "oh please bring Snake back". Which they did, and had to scrap the full album worth of new material - because it wasn't written by or for Snake.

That's an excuse to scrap an album???????

Can't wait to see the Japan dvd. I'll be all jealous though, I wish I had gone.

--------------------

String em up

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 09, 2009 21:20     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TELL 'EM, HEX!!!!

I agree with ya. I know fans love to try and dictate what direction a band should go, but it's really not your right to do so. A real band of real artists, need to please themselves first before giving a damn about what their listener want to hear. I'd rather be challenged with something different than to hear a cloned repeat of their greatest acheivement, even if it doen't have the same effect on me... I give more props to a band who changes things up and tries new ideas and goes outside the box than a band that relies on past accomplishments.

Sometimes it's harder for a band like VOIVOD who's played "outside the box" for so long, to play something more straight forward.

I'm always more curious to hear where Voivod will take me next, because I know it won't be where they've taken me before. The same can be said about most of my favorite bands.

--------------------

yawn

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 10, 2009 05:25     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonutz:
And yet DHp2 did happen - but nobody noticed - it's called Phobos.

Good call! Phobos has been sneaking it's way up my favourite albums list over the years. I probably listen to it more than Killing Tech these days.

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted January 10, 2009 09:57     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PHOBOS WOULD BE BETTER AS AN INSTRUMENTAL RECORD, NO VOCALS.
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 10, 2009 17:57     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah I'll second that Hex. The vocals fit in perfectly.

--------------------

String em up

Simen
VoivodFan
Member # 1028

posted January 11, 2009 13:07     Profile for Simen   Email Simen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Phobos is my favorite - just the way it is!

--------------------

A star - even if extinct thousands of years ago - still sends his light through the universe

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 11, 2009 16:57     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I originaly had a hard time accepting Eric's vocals, especially after Snake's voice graced 4 of my favorite albums of all time (angel rat, outer limits, dimension hatross, nothingface) and to listen to Voivod without Snake back then just didn't seem right. But after time I've really grown to love the albums with Eric and his style and now I realize what a major part of the Voivod catalog these albums are. Eric kept Voivod alive, filling the shoes of not only Snake, but Blacky also... certainly not an easy task for any mortal, and to do it with the conviction that Eric did deserves all the credit in the world.

There's been a lot of factors involved in keeping the Voivod legend alive and kicking all these years, and Eric was a huge part of that.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan