my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » VOIVOD NEWS DEC 08 (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: VOIVOD NEWS DEC 08
JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted December 26, 2008 12:11     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FROM VOIVOD.NET

December 2008 Voivod Update!
We are putting finishing touches on the yet to be named new record, due this spring. Jason Newsted ended up playing on all the bass tracks and plans to have Eric and Blacky also play on it were put aside for another project down the road. This album will mark the end of the Voivod songs Piggy wrote and performed, there are other songs from Piggy yet to be released, that he wrote for himself and other projects. We will release a DVD of our first ever performance in Japan, featuring all early Voivod material with Blacky on bass and Dan Mongrain on Guitar. We would like to extend our condolences to the family of Adrian Bromley, who was up until recently Voivod’s publicist at The End records for the past 4 years. His enthusiasm and knowledge of music and all things metal will be sorely missed. More news and artwork to be posted soon.

|  IP: Logged
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted December 26, 2008 12:24     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by escubria:

Jason Newsted ended up playing on all the bass tracks and plans to have Eric and Blacky also play on it were put aside for another project down the road.

What other project????
Sorry but the main thing I was looking forward to was hearing Blacky and Eric play on the album. BOLLOCKS to this. Bollocks bollocks.

--------------------

String em up

Simen
VoivodFan
Member # 1028

posted December 26, 2008 14:34     Profile for Simen   Email Simen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, there will BE another project!
And the statement says, that it will (only) be the end of the Voivod songs Piggy wrote and performed... Does this mean, there will be a Voivod-era after Piggy??? Sure, nobody can replace Piggy, but Dan Mongrain is really great and there could be a new Voivod! This sounds like good news to me!!!

--------------------

A star - even if extinct thousands of years ago - still sends his light through the universe

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 26, 2008 14:41     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd be into a Voivod album with Dan onboard with all-new material. As long as there's Blower Bass!

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted December 26, 2008 17:59     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm with HV on this one....bullocks in general that he's the only one playing on this album!

On another note, sure Jason is a Voivod fan and was lucky enough to hook up with the best band in the world, but I just don't care for the dude. In MY opinion, he has an arrogance about him that irks me and this feeling was enforced when he failed to come out and greet the fans the last time I saw them.

Anway, I hope these new projects don't include him. Sorry for bringing the good news post down, but no one really cares what I think anyway, right?

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted December 26, 2008 18:43     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If Jason is that much of a fan, surely he'd want Blacky and Eric playing on the album also?

--------------------

String em up

Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted December 26, 2008 19:36     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DVOD-2 dammit!
JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted December 26, 2008 19:37     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Head Villain:
If Jason is that much of a fan, surely he'd want Blacky and Eric playing on the album also?

well, who said he doesn't? Maybe Away and Snake want him to be the only bass player?

Cthon
Member # 156

posted December 26, 2008 21:28     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
disappointing.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted December 26, 2008 22:41     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Urgh.

But then, somehow, it makes sense. Jason was part of the lineup when those jams were written. Hopefully another album with the current lineup covering Piggy's private songs will surface after this one... I have a feeling these will be even better / wierder!

Still, urgh.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted December 27, 2008 05:20     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahh, the old debate on who should play bass...I liked Jason's work on Katorz and I'm sure he's done a good job again. I couldn't care less of what he's done and what not, it's the music that counts for me. Besides, it looks like we will be hearing more recordings featuring Eric and JY!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted December 27, 2008 09:58     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As I mentioned before I cannot wait for the DVOD-2 to come out and for a European tour.

The Japanese concert on DVD I do not care about. I can imagine Voivod is proud about this and wants to bring this out.

If the new material is in the line of S/T and Katorz I do not care also...
I will buy it to keep my Voivod collection up to date, no more no less....

Sorry...

But who asked my opinion??

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 27, 2008 11:36     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm quite sure most of the people here care for your opinion, Paul, you are a Voivodfan since the beginning.

Well, I don't particularly think it sucks, it's more of a disappointment really, since everyone was looking forward to hearing Blacky and Eric again. I would love to hear them play as much as the next guy, but I'm quite sure Jason did a great job. I also think it's surprising, since Jason supposedly disappeared for the last couple of years. All of a sudden, here he is, recording a new Voivod album.

The good part of the news is that it looks like the doors are not closed for Voivod to continue! Now THAT's great news!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted December 27, 2008 23:54     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic:
I'm quite sure most of the people here care for your opinion, Paul, you are a Voivodfan since the beginning.

Well, I don't particularly think it sucks, it's more of a disappointment really, since everyone was looking forward to hearing Blacky and Eric again. I would love to hear them play as much as the next guy, but I'm quite sure Jason did a great job. I also think it's surprising, since Jason supposedly disappeared for the last couple of years. All of a sudden, here he is, recording a new Voivod album.

The good part of the news is that it looks like the doors are not closed for Voivod to continue! Now THAT's great news!

Yes, I'm glad as well that Voivod will continue to make music in some way or another! I didn't mean to sound ungrateful about the situation. I just oddly have this continued love and admiration for that one guy named Blacky, even after all these years....and without Piggy it just seems right, you know?

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 28, 2008 00:46     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
But then, somehow, it makes sense. Jason was part of the lineup when those jams were written.

My opinion exactly. I'm sure they thought long and hard about having JY and Eric record some of the songs, but in the end they determined that they should just do it as the same unit when the jam demos were birthed.

Although I'm also bummed that Blacky and E-Force aren't gonna be on there, I totally respect the final decision. But who's to say there won't be any bonus material done otherwise?

--------------------

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted December 28, 2008 05:45     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Like some of you im not very enthusiastic about this either. If its in the line of the S/T ok good, but Katorz please no, sorry "me no likey"(however i hope im totally wrong.)

quote:

x2 and what more could you ask for? indeed GREAT news!

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 28, 2008 09:29     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was hoping they were regaining some of their older weirdness for this project. Probably I'll just stick with the old albums.

And what about DVOD-2?

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted December 28, 2008 12:27     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
katorz was better than the reunion cd - lets hope this is as big an improvement still.

sad that theres no eric or blacky - but mybe they weren;t available - we don't know the whole story.

I'll buy anything voivod - as even an out of sorts voivod is better than most bands.

still want dvod 2 though!

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted December 29, 2008 03:01     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm, don't see the negativity most of you read out of it. I tought last album would be the end of Voivod and the material they plan to release is some bonuslike thing with all former and recent members of the mighty VV. Last 2 albums aren't my fav's too, but I still like these 2.

I allways will be glad Jason joint Voivod and put them in the spotlight they deserved.

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted December 29, 2008 13:31     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I want that Live in Japan dvd.
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted December 29, 2008 14:43     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hah yeah sorry to be a grumpy old bag. I guess just cos Newsted is playing on this one doesn't automatically mean the album will sound like the last 2..

--------------------

String em up

Cthon
Member # 156

posted December 29, 2008 16:16     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
id obviously not be disappointed at all if they hadnt announced who was playing on the album ahead of time, only to change it at the last minute.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 29, 2008 17:39     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FUCK YEAH!!!! Everything I read in this is GREAT news!!! I've loved Newsted since the Flotsam dayz, and the fact seems that Blacky and Eric will be used in something more special and different than what would be considered and Voivod album is totally exciting. Obviously I would think they'd want the new Voivod album to be more about the 4 guys that were part of the band and a tribute to Piggy (with more of his experimental stuff) to have the gueat appearances of those that worked with him in the past... possibly even have Eric sing and play bass on a track or two, but an album that allowed Blacky and Eric to show off their style more that an album that might confine them to playing within a set limit.

The Japan dvd with Dan and Blacky, a future for Voivod after Piggy's material is used up... HELL PEOPLE, it ALL Fuckin' good news. I wouldn't have thought years ago Voivod should continue without Blacky, but they did... then I wouldn't have thought they should continue without Snake, but they did... now they've come to a point where they either give up the legend or continue... what would Piggy be prouder of? I have NO DOUBT that he would want VOIVOD to carry on.

--------------------

yawn

Simen
VoivodFan
Member # 1028

posted December 29, 2008 19:09     Profile for Simen   Email Simen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just a few weeks ago, I didn´t think, they´d carry on... Now it seems like my weirdest dreams come true!!!

--------------------

A star - even if extinct thousands of years ago - still sends his light through the universe

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 29, 2008 21:19     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
FUCK YEAH!!!! Everything I read in this is GREAT news!!! I've loved Newsted since the Flotsam dayz, and the fact seems that Blacky and Eric will be used in something more special and different than what would be considered and Voivod album is totally exciting. Obviously I would think they'd want the new Voivod album to be more about the 4 guys that were part of the band and a tribute to Piggy (with more of his experimental stuff) to have the gueat appearances of those that worked with him in the past... possibly even have Eric sing and play bass on a track or two, but an album that allowed Blacky and Eric to show off their style more that an album that might confine them to playing within a set limit.

The Japan dvd with Dan and Blacky, a future for Voivod after Piggy's material is used up... HELL PEOPLE, it ALL Fuckin' good news. I wouldn't have thought years ago Voivod should continue without Blacky, but they did... then I wouldn't have thought they should continue without Snake, but they did... now they've come to a point where they either give up the legend or continue... what would Piggy be prouder of? I have NO DOUBT that he would want VOIVOD to carry on.

I second that. Well said, Schroeder.

Oh, and I also want that Live in Japan DVD.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan