my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » voivod in Japan (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 

Author Topic: voivod in Japan
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 02, 2008 06:35     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Christ, looks like our favourtie band are on fire again!

We demand a new album....

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

|  IP: Logged
Cthon
Member # 156

posted October 02, 2008 07:09     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
those pics rule. ultra-jealousy.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

tsawyerfam
VoivodFan
Member # 992

posted October 02, 2008 11:19     Profile for tsawyerfam   Email tsawyerfam     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VV Mach IV?
Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted October 02, 2008 13:02     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nia:

^^ coolest fan art by a long time irongang fan

(tatsumaki is tornado in japanese - the band changed it for the shows there)

wow! that made my day! love the angel in the upper left corner! rip brother

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 02, 2008 21:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I WANT THE DVD OF THE JAPAN SHOW!!!!!

--------------------

yawn

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 02, 2008 21:27     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i heard there's a boot out there already...
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted October 02, 2008 22:12     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

momo
VoivodFan
Member # 676

posted October 03, 2008 00:58     Profile for momo   Email momo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The illustration is wonderful!!
Kawaii~ ^ ^

Thank you for thoes live pics, nia.
In many cases in Japan, to take a picture of liveshow isn't permited.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 03, 2008 05:59     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by momo:
In many cases in Japan, to take a picture of liveshow isn't permited.

Does Robert Fripp know that? Every other entry on his otherwise awesome blog is a bitch about having his pic taken at a gig.

Anyway - VV Live In Japan DVD: I'd buy that and the NTSC TV to watch it on!

--------------------

momo
VoivodFan
Member # 676

posted October 03, 2008 10:43     Profile for momo   Email momo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Does Robert Fripp know that? Every other entry on his otherwise awesome blog is a bitch about having his pic taken at a gig.

I don't see Robert Fripp's blog, but band members, band's staffs and the press take a pics of liveshow the same as other countries. Audience isn't permitted to take a pics.
However I've seen people taking a picture with camera cellphon in secret seveal times.
(I never do it because it can't be good photo.)

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 03, 2008 12:42     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Strictly speaking its against the rules in the UK as well, but we are nowhere near as well-mannered as you guys.

--------------------

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted October 03, 2008 12:52     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:

Aw must be terrible, all these people wanting pictures of you, my heart bleeds.

--------------------

String em up

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted October 04, 2008 03:06     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for bringing us along for the ride...

This thread is totally awsome and I am just taking it all in, specially with the prospect of a dvd on the sonar. I love all the fan art and piggy up there smiling silences me.

One thing I've always heard about the japan tours was how reserved/respectful the japanese audience is, but judging by the pictures it seems they are up and about. I have seen on other dvds, performers getting applaudes between songs from a seated audience, which in all actuality shows how much the performing arts are appreciated/scrutinized.

Something often overlooked about recording shows is that if you have the bands permission the nite of the show then one or so people may record, I always ask and usually get a green light, but for some reason I can not get approval at the stadium size venues.

Welcome fans from Japan... its great to have you all aboard, mabye we will hear some similar/in vein japanese metal come this way. I am curious how the scene is over there and if many english singing bands exsist ?

momo
VoivodFan
Member # 676

posted October 04, 2008 15:22     Profile for momo   Email momo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is my opinion.
Japanese have big spirit of hospitality. We'd like the band/musician to enjoy the time in Japan. We don't want them to feel uncomfortable. But many Japanese are not good at speaking English(or French or German or...) and expressing our feeling directly. So we make something special stuff for the band/musician and present them with respect.

As seated audience, there is a sad reason. In 1978, A accident happened at the liveshow of Rainbow in Sapporo.
Audience gathered in front of the stage because the show was delay. People was very angry. Small riot broke out, and a nineteen-year-old girl was crushed to death.
Since the accident, audience had to sit down to see the concert. If I remember correctly, a regulation on standing-style liveshow was eased in 1988 or so.
Now, we can stand up to see the concert. We can do shouting and head-banging. Some people do even crowd-surfing, stage-diving and moshing. However, we almost don't get away from our seats when the concert plays in the hall class venue with immovable chair.
And, I think, many Japanese rock fan prefer listning to the music to make some noise loud for different reasons.

And... I'm getting tired from writing English...
See you later.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 05, 2008 17:28     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
momo, thanks for the insight on on what it's like to be a Japanese rock fan. It's interesting that the country totally changed the rules about how an audience can behave after the unfortunate death from the fan getting crushed. It's also nice to know that the people respected those rules and act accordingly. There have been too many situations at concerts around the world where fans don't look out for each other and people have been seriously injured or died from others actions. I've always enjoyed watching live dvds of concerts filmed in Japan. The audience is always very respectful to the band while playing and gives a great response when each song is completed. I was just watching the Judas Priest concert from Budokan and the audience was spectacular.

I know for a fact that Fripp love playing in Japan. Some of the best hotels, with the most incredible bathrooms and toilet, and the fans are great too.

I must say that I've never seen a crowd as into a live band as when I watch a concert from South America. Those people are unbelievable when it comes to crowd participation. Just watch Rush in Rio, or Iron Maden Rock in Rio. There's no crowd in the worl that comes close to that in terms of enthusiasum. Now if you're talking about moshing or slamming in a small club... American fans might win that one because we generally don't care if we hurt someone else... just as long as we're having fun!!!!

--------------------

yawn

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted October 06, 2008 02:32     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
American fans might win that one because we generally don't care if we hurt someone else... just as long as we're having fun!!!!

Actually man thats not so true, mabye back in the earlier day who knows, but I took a dive in 2004 and 2005 once at a club and once at an ozzfest, both times I was snatched up so quick and going round again I did'nt even know it. I had to wait a whole go-round to find my shoe one time.

Now 'bolted to the floor' chairs would'nt go over to well here in America, they would most likely rip them out and start a bonfire !

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 06, 2008 09:45     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The seats that were bolted to the floor at the Warner Theater when I saw Overkill and Slayer sustained major damage to say the least when Slayer hit the stage and the audience went ape-shit. It was just stupid to have Slayer perform at at a venue like that. Totally fuckin insane. Today's crowds seem to be a lot tamer than the golden era of thrash and hardcore. I guess the kids today are on too many A.D.D. pills to headbang or mosh around.

It is interesting how crowds react differently around the world to the same band. Considering how the crowd reacted to the Clutch show I went to and then comparing that to the live CLUTCH dvd and seeing how the Austrailian crowd reacted and even the crowds in Pittsburgh and Jersey... very different indeed.

--------------------

yawn

momo
VoivodFan
Member # 676

posted October 06, 2008 13:23     Profile for momo   Email momo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, the audience of "Rush in Rio" is incredible. I was surprised their enthusiastic reaction. It can't happen big chorus like that in Japan.
So Rush hasn't come back Japan for 24 years...?

And...
Yes, there are several Japanese bands singing in English. Of course, the bands aren't so popular as bands singing in Japanese. And metal scene in Japan is VERY small. Many great bands released "Live in Japan", but it's true. Sam Dunn's "Global Metal"movie tells the peculiar scene in Japan.

However, LOUDNESS and VOW WOW are famous a bit. They first sang Japanese lyrics, and they changed it in English because they got to play overseas.
These days, I think, SIGH is the coolest Japanese metal band playing overseas. And I add to OUTRAGE here. (sorry,I don't know about Visual-kei well.)

Some people think Japanese language isn't suitable to sing rock music. So they sing a song in English. On the other hand, some people have pursued the rock music with distinctive Japanese language for ages.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted October 07, 2008 02:57     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by momo:
Sam Dunn's "Global Metal"

what an excellent film... thanks for the tip !

momo
VoivodFan
Member # 676

posted October 08, 2008 12:30     Profile for momo   Email momo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've uploaded several "meet&greet" photos of Thrash Domination 08. http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z210/momodi/thrash%20domination/
(Please type "voivod" in the password field.)
Hope you enjoy them.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 08, 2008 13:05     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thank you momo!
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted October 08, 2008 13:22     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
These are great, thanks for sharing!

--------------------

String em up

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted October 08, 2008 14:37     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Momo!
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted October 08, 2008 15:10     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
kool, thanks

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted October 08, 2008 19:34     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for sharing those pics Momo and Nia!

The drawing is amazing that must have been a hell of a trip.

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan