my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Kirk's style

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kirk's style
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted September 19, 2008 09:20     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Listening to Death Magnetic I am hearing guitar tones and some off-time chording played on the guitar that I have never heard kirk or james play in that manner before. I do not know if I am implying there is a connection here, but I can hear it !

I will make this long-winded rant short by stating that there are fucking PIGGY-RIFFS in death magnetic that were never present in any other metallica songs ever.

I do love a good conspiracy.

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted September 19, 2008 13:34     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
what have you been on ???

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted September 19, 2008 15:49     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AHA!!! I knew it couldn't just be me!!!

I've only heard what they play on the radio, but there was one where I sat there and went....."WTF, that is a total Voivod riff ripoff!" I even mentioned it to Luna the other day. The song I heard was "Cyanide".

What is this world coming to....by the way, what I have heard, I don't care for....BUT, that dumb Cyanide, you know, I was almost enjoying it, it had some good riffs and ....oh wait, those were the Voivod-y ripped-off ones

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted September 19, 2008 15:59     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice theory there! Then again, many bands have imitated Piggy's work before. Why not Metallica too.

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted September 19, 2008 16:47     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Haha, this is true, you here Voivod-sounding riffs all over the place these days.

--------------------

String em up

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted September 19, 2008 17:00     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lars is such a cheap ass you just know he downloaded VoiVod's discography too
shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted September 19, 2008 17:06     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
which songs?

i've had the albm for ages and can't be arsed listening to it. It bores the fuck out me.

If some songs have good bits, I want to hear it.... Theres no way metallica have discovered dissonance on their own.

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted September 19, 2008 17:14     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Metallica have been aware of what Voivod sound like a long time, and Jason has been playing with them on and off since 1989.

Piggy got his chords from Robert Fripp, so a little homage is harmless.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted September 19, 2008 17:27     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Metallica must have been wondering that there had to be some reason VOIVOD s/t was heavier than st Anger, and I am quite shocked they figured it out...

Suicide & Redemption
Cyanide
the Judas Kiss (bits)
End of Line (bits around 2:17)

I did hear Away discribe Piggy's style in some interview as being also like Keith Emerson keyboards from ELP.

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted September 19, 2008 18:41     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Diminished chords and whole tone scales were adopted wholesale by Fripp for rock before anybody.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 19, 2008 21:10     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From what I hear, ALL the riffs on the new cd are played by Jamez (both guitars). Kirk only did the solos, no rhythm guitar at all.

Piggy's mentioned Fripp as a huge influence many times in past interviews. Probably why I like Voivod so much... they are so outside the box, just like King Crimson.

--------------------

yawn

Cthon
Member # 156

posted September 19, 2008 21:41     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
im pretty sure Metallica knew what Voivod sounded like even back in the 80s.

i cant quite recall whether they ever played any shows together, tho. i remember Blacky saying something about James Hetfield once...

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted September 20, 2008 01:45     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
From what I hear, ALL the riffs on the new cd are played by Jamez

It's about time they went back to that old formula...I'm sure Rick had something to do with it as well. James is such an awesome and underrated rhythm guitarist, he infact played all rhythm, melody, and harmony guitars from "Kill 'Em All" to the "Black" album...as well as an occasional solo here and there. Kirk only played the leads on those albums...the idea is that you would match up better with yourself when doubling rhythms and doing overdubs as opposed to having someone else doing it, and the overall effect is a way more tighter sound...obviously.

Speaking of Kirk's "lame-ass" solos....I'd love to fucking break every single wah-pedal that he owns and ever will own!!! Jesus F. Christ...enough already!!! Even in structure, he's gotten worse...I don't see how he could even possibly repeat that drivel "live" note for note!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

SmedHed
VoivodFan
Member # 1041

posted September 20, 2008 17:23     Profile for SmedHed   Email SmedHed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voivod has kicked Mets ass steadily since 1990 so whats news here?

Met wishes they had Voivod imagination

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted September 20, 2008 18:30     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SmedHed:
Voivod has kicked Mets ass steadily since 1990 so whats news here?

Met wishes they had Voivod imagination

No, since 1984..

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted September 22, 2008 19:58     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Leave it to metallica to try to bottle the dissonance and then sell it to john Q public.

"the Cheesifacation of the Dissonance"

Come to think of it, if someone could photoshop me a bottle of perfume or a bottle of beer with the lable reading...

** DISSONANCE **

by
VOIVOD

mabye the Kula man and I could head on over to a tallica board and steal some of their fans.
(they are eventually going to want to know where those new sounds came from)

L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted October 03, 2008 00:00     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by hexonutz:wah-ut-ever. kirk's "style" is overrated.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's the truth but I just want to add something. Metallica had always been overated (and lucky)since 1983. At this time, if Exodus wouldn't had problems with record companies, they would had the chance to release Bonded by Blood in 1983 instead of 1985 and Metallica would have been less highlighted because Bonded by Blood is a thousand times better than any Metallica album. Metallica is simply overated since their beginning.

In another context I agree also with the fact that Voivod are certainly the first to transpose dissonant chords in metal from first to last album and it's certainly one of their strengths. Piggy had influences from King Crimson and ELP. In 1970 Crimson have composed the Devil's Triangle and ELP The Barbarian and Piggy had always been a big fan of Prog Rock. It's why we often hear about Piggy's chords. Voivod had composed so many strong albums time after time. But I can't say someting similar about Metallica, cause they had never been innovators in nothing. Voivod rule!!!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 03, 2008 16:19     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm, looks like Metallica bashing is still "hip".

But then what am I saying, everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted October 04, 2008 02:19     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah I did'nt mean to start a bashing thread, it is a fair observation though. I would have to disagree about Metallica not being innovators and one thing for sure is they get the prize for defining a generation. In the future when all is looked back upon, if someone had to choose one word to describe our generation the answer is going be Metallica.

I still like Metallica and I jam to Ride the Lightning all the time. Metallica was without a doubt my favorite band, everything and anything was Metallica, that was up until I got hold of Dimension Hatross. But i will always remember how they let us down and sold out to the Powers That Be, then ignored the scene as if they were never part of it.

Talk about unforgivable... the second slap to the face was Lars and the Napster thingy.

!!! LONG LIVE VOIVOD !!!

L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted October 04, 2008 11:22     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If I look at where realized Metallica and Exodus in 2008, Kirk would have been better to stay with Exodus realized that a lot further in developing their music. Especially since Exodus launched Shovel Headed Kill Machine, from this Metallica have just seems to be boring. Just ask to Jasonic!

And one thing I always believe is that Metallica never let the bass sound as much as it deserved. In many songs we can't hear this instrument or so few. It's not normal for a Heavy Metal band.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted October 04, 2008 11:41     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonutz:
wah-ut-ever. kirk's "style" is overrated.

This thread is overrated, too.

L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted October 04, 2008 12:17     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I took this in Wikipedia :http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Newsted

''He debuted on the group's fourth studio album, …And Justice for All, which was subject to controversy and criticism for its poor production - namely its lack of identifiable bass.''

And at this link you can read something like this : http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1459215/20021218/voivod.jhtml

''Jason Newsted says Voivod, the veteran Canadian thrash band he recently joined, can kick Metallica's ass. ''

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted October 04, 2008 14:05     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by L'Heavy:

''Jason Newsted says Voivod, the veteran Canadian thrash band he recently joined, can kick Metallica's ass. ''

Haha! Go Jason!

--------------------

String em up

Cthon
Member # 156

posted October 04, 2008 16:03     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonutz:
eye of the beholder

no pun intended, hehe.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan