my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » voivod

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: voivod
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted August 26, 2008 13:45     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not so many years ago I would not have dreamed that I would be playing metal again, let alone playing with Michel and Denis, and playing the music of Voivod. But it is happening, so I think it is important to explain how I came to be doing the thing that I never thought, after seventeen years, I would ever do again.

First of all I would like to thank Michel, Denis and Dan. They have been so great in this process. It is so fantastic to have the chance to work with them. We have been very excited to play shows together. But it also has been very hard at times – mostly for Michel and Denis, going though the process of dealing with the fact that Piggy is gone. I feel very lucky to be close to them again, and to have this chance to play music together.

When Piggy died I thought it would be the end of the Voivod saga. Piggy was the most important person in the band. None of us could have ever imagined that it would be possible to be a group without Denis D’Amour. He was the cornerstone of Voivod. I can still remember when I lived in Jonquiere and I would hear about this amazing guitarist who could play his entire record collection. He was a legend, even back then. From the first day I met him, I realized that he was the real deal. When I saw him play he became my guitar hero.

This brings me back to the reason why I’m playing with Voivod today. Michel called me a few months ago. He wanted to know if I would be interested in playing a couple of shows with him, Snake and Dan Mongrain as Voivod. I did not hesitate, I said yes, for sure. The reason was simple. I wanted it. I felt the need to play again, nostalgia for the old days, for something I had not done in a very long time.

The other, more important reason is that I wanted to play for Piggy. I wanted to celebrate his legacy in the best way possible, and that was to play his music again, playing it the way we used to back in the 80’s. This was also the best way for me to say thank you for everything that he brought to me, his teaching, his friendship, his brotherhood. I truly believe that is what Piggy would have wanted us to do. I may be naïve but I hope that all of the hardcore supporters of Voivod would understand and agree with this, that this is the best way to pay ultimate respect for someone that brought so much into our lives. Even during the final stages of his cancer he managed to find the energy and the courage to write more music. When I first heard about it I was astonished by his dedication to his career, but thinking about it some more, I was not surprised. This man was living for his music, and he wanted his music to outlive him. He wrote enough music and arrangements so that it would be possible for the band to finish his work without him. It is hard to believe that there will be yet another chapter to this incredible story but I’m very proud to be part of it. Piggy lived his life for the music and the music now lives for him.

Long live Piggy, long live Voivod! To the Death!!

|  IP: Logged
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted August 26, 2008 14:02     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A great read JY!
I'm happy for you all, and also for us having a chance to see you play again.

See you in Finland next year Voivod

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 26, 2008 14:56     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you Blacky! When you say hard-core fan, I recon myself amongst them. There used to be a time when Voivod crossed my mind every hour of the day and nearly every conversation with friends ended in talking about Voivod! They were no metal fans at all, you must know. I saw no problem in driving to Germany for 4 hours to see Voivod just by myself. The fact that they played for about 40 minutes didn't matter. I would do the same today if I had the chance.

Piggy's passing brought me to tears for hours, I also thought this was the end. My love for Voivod faded slightly after that time but I kept being a fan always. The fact that this site exists helped for sure.

Now that Voivod is playing again my heart is beating faster. The footage on Youtube looked really good!

I am hoping for a long Voivod future to come. I cannot wait for the last album, Away's book the DVOD-2 (and 3?) and of course a ....................................................................................

European tour.

Voivod, thank you so much!

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 26, 2008 17:56     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
word.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted August 26, 2008 18:00     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bless ya!

--------------------

String em up

Imran
VoivodFan
Member # 197

posted August 26, 2008 18:05     Profile for Imran   Email Imran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wonderfully written.
JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted August 26, 2008 18:28     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Blacky, even in death Voivod are the last heavy guitar band out there with more good stuff to come.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 26, 2008 19:41     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for sharing those kind words Sir Blacky. Yeah, watching the footage and hearing the crowd sing along makes this vvfan proud. I love music, Voivod and those folks equally obsessed and consumed by both. That Piggy was compelled to make music to the very end makes my heart smile. And having this online community of rabid Voivod Fans fuckin' rules. I hope to catch Voivod on an upcoming gig or tour (Yes, please!)...that would make me happy and in some way also celebrate the life and music of D'Amour.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 26, 2008 20:01     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That was quite the statement!

Merci JY

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 26, 2008 21:24     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for sharing. I certainly can't think of a better way to pay tribute to Piggy than to continue to play his music and finish all the work that he started. To have you back in Voivod is probably as much a thrill for all the fans as it is for you. Piggy's passing affected me like Elvis and Lennon affected affect so many other people. Piggy was an artist who helped form my opinion of what incredible music is and what it can do and where it can take you. I couldn't count the thimes and hours I spent blasting Voivod and getting lost in the music. The legacy will live forever and Having you back in the band is like Waters rejoining Floyd... although Voivod continues to play and blow away audience. The future looks and sounds so bright now, and I have no doubt that Piggy is very proud of how "We Carry On".

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 26, 2008 22:43     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Thanks for sharing. I certainly can't think of a better way to pay tribute to Piggy than to continue to play his music and finish all the work that he started. To have you back in Voivod is probably as much a thrill for all the fans as it is for you. Piggy's passing affected me like Elvis and Lennon affected affect so many other people. Piggy was an artist who helped form my opinion of what incredible music is and what it can do and where it can take you. I couldn't count the thimes and hours I spent blasting Voivod and getting lost in the music. The legacy will live forever and Having you back in the band is like Waters rejoining Floyd... although Voivod continues to play and blow away audience. The future looks and sounds so bright now, and I have no doubt that Piggy is very proud of how "We Carry On".

Word. For. Word.

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted August 27, 2008 09:34     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for this post JY!

See you in Europe next year

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 27, 2008 15:30     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great words from my hero...eternally grateful for what you have done through your music(and now continue to do) for me. Back in high school you guys literally warped my brain which thankfully I never recovered from.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 27, 2008 23:49     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
JY, that was the best post ever written on this forum. This hardcore Voivod fan appreciates what you are doing all the way.

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted August 28, 2008 00:46     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That was very refreshing to hear, Mr. Blacky. The music of Voivod is indeed
special. You guys created a quite a beast.

I can't stand records by Overkill, Megadeth, Helloween, Nuclear Assault, and Anthrax from the late eighties anymore, but Voivod's music still manages to sound good and inspired. I still get goosebumps from hearing certain riffs, lyrics, and arrangements.

The music has stood the test of time and probally always will!

shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted August 28, 2008 04:38     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I concur with everyone elses sentiments!

Voivod are a top band - and since I bought Killing Technology in the eighties, barely a week has gone by without me listening to SOMETHING by Voivod.

Blacky - you and Piggy inspired me to pick up a guitar and write leftfield off-kilter riffs!

Thats why I'm in a band now - my love of music - and I hold you responsible!

Cheers!

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 28, 2008 12:55     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great post Jy. I feel a European VVF roadtrip coming on next summer. Finland sounds like a great place to start!
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted August 28, 2008 16:23     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not so many years ago I would not have dreamed that Voivod would be playing metal again, let alone here in Finland with Blacky, Michel and Denis, and f*king headlining. After 20 years of worshipping their music I finally get the opportunity to attend a Voivod show and I find it difficult to believe this is really happening. Thank you guys (Dan M. also)!!!

I still remember very clearly the moment when I first heard "Brain Scan" in 1988. I just stared at the radio and listened to the song, wondering what dimension I had just been sucked into. Soon after, Dimension Hatröss and Killing Technology LPs took over my young mind, converting me into a Voivodian who would tire his friends with endless monologues about the finest details found in the music of the mighty Voivod. Funny thing, it's 2008 and I still have to resist the temptation to do that every now and then

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted August 28, 2008 17:50     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was going to post a long response here about how Voivod messed up my mind and changed my life, but I'll just echo the words of my what my fellow Voivodians posted before me. Thanx to Piggy, Blacky, Away, Snake, Eric, Jason, Dan and anyone involved for years of great music.

Long live Voivod. To The Death. And Beyond!

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted August 29, 2008 14:59     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blacky you look like your aging backward since your rejoined Voivod!

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted August 29, 2008 15:38     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syl Disjonk:
Blacky you look like your aging backward since your rejoined Voivod!

The band is a damn time machine. Most songs makes me feel as if i'm travelling through time and space. Only other band that plays those tricks on me is Meshuggah

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 30, 2008 11:15     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also remember the first time I listened to "Inner Combustion" on the local metal show here, and how it changed my mind about how metal should sound.

Being from Brazil, it was hard back then (remember it was the late 80's) to buy an import album, but somehow I managed to get all the stuff I could from Voïvod, which I proudly keep to this day.

Thanks Blacky for sharing your thoughts, and I wonder if you guys are planning on coming South sometime next year. You know, there will be a Brazillian version of Wacken, and Voïvod would fit the bill perfectly.

Thanks to all of you guys (and Piggy) for being such an inspiration.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted August 30, 2008 22:57     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Awesome. Totally awesome! Welcome back Blacky!
hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted August 30, 2008 23:39     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you Blacky for sharing with us. I am glad to have met you (and the rest of the band) on the Nothingface tour here in Albuquerque oh so long ago. Watching you guys do soundcheck was one highlight of my life that I will never forget!

I am also lucky to have seen Voivod on TOL tour, once with Mr. Forrest and twice when Snake came back with that one dude on bass.

All that's is left for me is to see YOU with Voivod once again....which I have been dreaming of for 17 years!

Thanks to all of you (including you crazy VVF's) for keeping Piggy, Voivod, and the best music ever alive.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted September 08, 2008 14:27     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hooray! excellent thread. i'm inspired to have another cup of coffee and chase the groupies out of the rrrrrooooooooooooooommmmm!
"that one dude on bass"

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan