my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Metallica - Cyanide (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4

Author Topic: Metallica - Cyanide
JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted August 23, 2008 02:35     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dovïov:
Come on guys… the new songs are good, maybe not great, but close enough in my book.

Voïvod, among other bands, surely opened up my ears to a lot of great and diverse music, but at the same time I can enjoy some basic metal for sure… anyway…

Hypothesis: I don’t want to start a war, but I’m pretty sure that if Piggy was the author of the exact same songs, you would probably say that the album is a grower, that it needs a couple of spin before it reveals all its splendour, etc.

Ok, I admit it’s an outrageously bad comparison. Piggy is a lot better.
But don’t tell me the last two albums were of the same quality as the firsts in his career, even if they were still quite good. (And I know a lot of you also enjoyed them).

I say it again; I really don’t see what is so amusing to always throw shit at Metallica whatever they do…

Last thing and not the least: maybe I’m completely out of my mind and my brain collapse from to much beers and not enough sleep, but I like how Lars plays drums!!! I enjoy the rocking, yet technical aspect of Away, and even more the inhuman behaviour of Flo Mounier, but you know what? There is nothing like the good ol’ straight pounding of the drum on the beat in a song that demands it, and Lars remembers how to do that!

Crucify me now…

Metallica's problem is they can no longer write good songs, nothing to do with sounds or age or technical ability, just song writing. Whereas Piggy grew more and more in his song writing, Metallica eventually grew less able after the Black album.

Comparing Piggy and Voivod's early work to Metallica's does not apply here as I think most acknowledge that Voivod's early albums were not particularly good or great -though interesting- and that they really only came into their own with Dimension Hatross, but Voivod more than made up for their early amateurishness with their subsequent work. In many ways Voivod's career was just beginning when Jason joined making it such a pity that Piggy died.

I basically think Metallica outgrew each other as musicians, as a band and mostly as people since their fame sky rocketed. They outgrew Metallica and Jason sensed this so he left. It's the price they paid for their security and wealth. They no longer need to make good albums like Voivod did.

Metallica is just a machine now, not a band that just makes music, and that machine needs product to survive, not necessarily good or bad product but one that sells to many. That's why the band are so confused about what direction they feel they need to go in with each album co s basically thaey've got no real direction other than keeping the Metallica, website/merchandise/video game/touring/action figure/media machine alive.

|  IP: Logged
Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 23, 2008 06:31     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it makes its way to "just ok" after the lame lyrics and boring vocals finally go away. the last four minutes make me feel like i didnt waste part of my life listening, at least. is he 100% ripping off Mercyful Fate around the beginning of that solo or is it just me? must be a "homage", haha.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted August 24, 2008 07:42     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just listened to Sgt Hetfields Motorbreath pub band, by Beatallica and their beatle/metallica mashups are better than metallica's actual music these days!

The vocalist does James to a tee - down to the annoying yeah yeahs and adding ay to the end of every line.

Leper Madonna, blackened the USSR, Helvester of Skelter, - almost V.Funny!

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 26, 2008 09:19     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, a metal song from Metallica:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=103518

Sounds good to me.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 26, 2008 09:24     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For some reason, this reminds me of Slayer.

*shrugs*

Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 26, 2008 10:12     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
just seems like it meanders everywhere and is kinda aimless.

--------------------

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted August 26, 2008 15:10     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It doesn't really do anything for me, nothing original in there.

--------------------

String em up

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 26, 2008 15:15     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonutz:
uninspired attempt to sound oldschool with recycled riffs.

Yep, like Slayer. Hehe.

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted August 26, 2008 17:19     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is a vulgar "soft/forced"-thrash song(some Testament and Slayer here and there) but being from Metallica its kinda good.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 26, 2008 21:31     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah, it might have a bunch of recycled parts and a "been there done that" feel, but at least it has some energy which is something they were lacking. originality NO. I'd rather listen to Slayer do the same heavy shit they've been doing for decades then to hear the try to do a Load, Reload, or Black album.
This is refreshing to hear Metallica do something like this.... again.

--------------------

yawn

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted August 27, 2008 08:34     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Schroeder, I took the liberty of sending your 2 Ewok pictures to totallylookslike.com.

--------------------

String em up

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 27, 2008 18:05     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanx HV
LMAO

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 27, 2008 21:00     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't want to sound bitter or something, but I really think you guys should just assume that you don't like Metallica anymore and stop wasting your time.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 27, 2008 21:31     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm still curious to hear those songs in the context of the whole album, though. So far I heard one song that's awful (Cyanide), an ok number that has very good riffage (The Day That Never Comes), and one that I actually enjoy (My Apocalypse).

Bah fuck it. I'm practically sold anyway.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 27, 2008 21:40     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh well, I gotta admit, after listening to the other two songs (so far), "Cyanide" is indeed horrible.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 27, 2008 21:46     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
I'm still curious to hear those songs in the context of the whole album, though. So far I heard one song that's awful (Cyanide), an ok number that has very good riffage (The Day That Never Comes), and one that I actually enjoy (My Apocalypse).

Bah fuck it. I'm practically sold anyway.

That sums up how I feel about what I've heard also. I'll be buying it when it comes out. Hell I have all the other ones and then some, plus all the free live shows they've offered up on their site, box sets, rarities, etc. I'm hoping they have something extra with the cd, like another documentary dvd or a live rehearsal dvd, to entice people to buy a hard copy instead of downloading it. I usually only watch those things once (Opeth, Dream Theater, the last metallica...) but I find them interesting and worth having.

Also the sound quality is going to be a lot better than what we've heard online, which will make the couple tunes I like, that much better.

YEEEEAAAAAAAH !!!!!!!

--------------------

yawn

Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 28, 2008 07:12     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic:
Don't want to sound bitter or something, but I really think you guys should just assume that you don't like Metallica anymore and stop wasting your time.

XD summed it up better than i EVER will, once:

"It's like when a cat keeps coming back to spoiled milk to see if it's good now"

i cant help myself, haha.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 28, 2008 18:56     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"It's like when a cat keeps coming back to spoiled milk to see if it's good now"

I think I found a new signature!!!! thanks And I have to agree. That's while I'll keep buying Metallica albums... in hope for another Damage Inc, or Creeping Death. One can always dream, can't they?

--------------------

yawn

Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 29, 2008 07:28     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
its sad, but, um... true.

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 30, 2008 11:17     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh well... Okay then.

--------------------

Imran
VoivodFan
Member # 197

posted August 30, 2008 15:12     Profile for Imran   Email Imran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was at a bar last night and they played "The Day That Never Comes" and people started booing it so bad that the DJ had to turn it off, it was pretty funny. Metallica always have and always will suck by the way.
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted August 31, 2008 03:40     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

"My Apocalypse" is promising...I do like it better than the other featured two. By all accounts, the "30-second previews" of each song are better than worse...James' vox seem to be controlled more now, the music might seem a bit contrived, but at least it isn't extremely gay. Maybe this should've been released after that so called Black Album...then it would be easier to digest I suppose than the Loads/St. Anger albums. I'm still turned off with the "metal-guitar" sound of the album though...too damn dry...Ride the Lightning had the best Metallica guitar tones ever imo!!!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 31, 2008 10:52     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GREAT PHOTO of MegaDave and Jamez. I'm glad Megadeth doesn't feel the need to tour with rapmetal bands just to try and find a new audience.

Metallica are performing Cyinide at they're show now, but I wonder what the crowd reaction is to it and why they aren't 'test-driving' a few other new ones to the audiences.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 02, 2008 23:21     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The entire album has leaked, supposedly from France. Listening to the first song right now, "This Was Just Your Life".

Let's see.

--------------------

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted September 02, 2008 23:47     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey! I also just started playing it... let's see. hehe.

First Impressions. I'll just edit as I listen.

(1st track - This Was Your Life)

Neat intro. Thrash! Nice! This is actually quite... listenable. And catchy.

(The End of The Line)

Yep, this is not bad at all. More work was put into the guitar this time around, apparently. Sounds kinda random at times, tho.

(3 songs in - Broken, Beat & Scarred)

More thrashy randomness. I probably should like this, but I can't. Doesn't grab me at all. The riffs are just flat.

(4 songs in)

I kinda like "The Day That Never Comes", especially the 2nd half.

(5 songs in)

Ok, "All Nightmare Long" is totally Slayerish. First interesting track on the album so far. Great fucking riffs around the solos. Vocals are actually decent here, too. Not very annoying.

(6 songs in)

Aaargh!! Just as this was getting good, Cyanide comes in. Total fail. Urgh. Please ignore what i said about the vocals. This song is just bad. It smells of lame.

(7 songs in)

Unforgiven III. blah.

(8 songs in)

Oh! More thrash goodness! The Judas Kiss sounds promising. Close, but no cigar. Catchy chorus, tho. Lyrics kinda sound stupid.

(9 songs in)

Suicide & Redemption. Instrumental. Actually not bad at times. 9 min 57 sec, way too long for the few good riffs that it has. "To Live is To Die", this is not.

(10th track)

My Apocalypse. Excellent track.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan