my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Judas Priest - Nostradamus

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Judas Priest - Nostradamus
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 28, 2008 12:46     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just got this. First listen through.
On track 14 now.

My first impression is that every song sounds the same mostly.
There are some great riffs and parts of course.

Any other observations?

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 28, 2008 19:12     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
give it a few more listens. i like what i've heard so far and the more spins the more of the story I decipher. I've only listened to it work and haven't had time to really sit down with the book and read through it while listening.

It's shocking to me it took Priest this long to do a concept album. I always thought they'd be a great band to pull off something like this. Not the greatest but still a damn fine disc. It covers everything the Preist is capable of, and Rob sounds awesome as always.

It could have easily been a King Diamond album!!!

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 29, 2008 10:46     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by K:
My first impression is that every song sounds the same mostly.
There are some great riffs and parts of course.

I had that same impression. Also, I thought there are some songs that remind me of AOR, which I'm particularly not too fond of.

But well, I'll surely listen to it again, maybe, as Schroeder stated, after a few more listens it will "click".

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 29, 2008 11:04     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It flows quite well... I like it.
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted June 30, 2008 06:46     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know what people mean by the slightly slack verses, but the choruses are the most anthemic and singable since Defenders.
With AoR I thought they were attempting to create an album that mirrored a 'best of' in sound, it was so backwards looking.

This new one is much more exciting than that. And yeah, not only King Diamond but also Pink Floyd, believe it or not, on the 2nd cd.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted June 30, 2008 09:01     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I posted this on another board, but here it is anyway...

I am a huge Priest fan, so I was really looking forward to this after Angel Of Retribution (which I thought was a great return to form). After playing it practically non-stop since I bought it, I have come to find it's a bit of a grower. In a nutshell, it's pretty good, but had potential to be so much better...

The fake orchestra is cheesy, and there's far too much synth on it. The riffing is lazy and pretty uninspired. Some nice leads though and Ian's bass sounds great. The drums sound programmed and fake. Only one or two songs actually sound like real drums. Scott isn't playing very many fills at all either. I'm pretty sure you can hear the click track once in a while too. KK and Glenn produced it. Bad move. They should have gotten an outside producer to kick them in the ass and say "Come on guys, put some effort into the riffs - you're Judas fucking Priest already!" They also should have dropped most of the synths and used a real orchestra. Rob sounds really good.

That all being said, there are some good songs and moments that remind me of albums like Stained Class and songs like Blood Red Skies. I really like Alone, Visions, Pestilence And Plague, the title track (even with it's repeating chorus), and War. Actually, the only tracks I don't like are Hope and New Beginnins which should have been cut. I do like it, but it could have been so much better. That's what bugs me when listening to it - is thinking "I would have changed this or added that .." I guess I'll have to save all that for my first concept album.

Most of the time the album is Judas Priest does Broadway. But that's not really a bad thing. The rest of the time its a fairly decent Metal record, but leaves me wanting more.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 30, 2008 12:10     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why does Helloween come to mind when i listen to this?

Thanks Nuclear for your review.
Makes complete sense to me.

I do love the keyboard work though. Of course it all would have been more powerful with a full orchestral arrangement.
Great drums sound and bass is excellent.

Every song sounds like a damn anthem though.
I am NOT a big fan of anthem songs.

JP come here to Zagreb next month at Dom Sportova. (Sport Dome built by Tito and the Yugoslavian Army).
It is a great place for them to play.
Went to a Hockey game there. Croatia vs Serbia. Near riot. Loved it! Croatia killed Serbia of course.

Anyways. New Judas Priest let me down.
This could have been done by Helloween just as well.
I am sure it will grow with more listens though.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 30, 2008 22:19     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
interesting reviews here, very insightful... certainly more thought out than the stupid shit people leave on blabbermouth.

I agree that AoR was a great return to form and seemed to touch on all the cool stuff JP has done in their entire career. some old time stuff that would fit on Sad Wings, some catchy stuff that would fit on British Steel, some 80's metal like Defenders (thank god no Turblo Lover part 2).

Nostrodomus has that same feel to me but I do understand what some are saying about everything sounding like an anthem, although a lot of their stuff from the middle of their career was the same way.

I made a 4 disc compliation of all my favorite Preist tunes from Rocka Rolla thru AoR (minus the 2 Ripper Owens studio discs), but still couldn't find anything from Turbo or Ram It Down worth listening to or worthy of putting with the other classick tunes.

--------------------

yawn

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted June 30, 2008 22:54     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:

I made a 4 disc compliation of all my favorite Preist tunes from Rocka Rolla thru AoR (minus the 2 Ripper Owens studio discs), but still couldn't find anything from Turbo or Ram It Down worth listening to or worthy of putting with the other classick tunes.

Really? I made a bunch of mixed Metal CDRs for the car and work and chose a bunch of stuff off Turbo and the Ripper albums. Only picked Blood Red Skies and I'm A Rocker from RiD though.

Off Turbo I chose Reckless (one of my fave JP tunes ever), Out In The Cold, Turbo Lover and All Fired Up (from the remasters). From Jugulator I picked Cathedral Spires, Blood Stained, Burn In Hell and Bullet Train and from Demolition I put Hell Is Home, Close To You, Bloodsuckers, In Between, Lost And Found and Feed On Me. Subterfuge will go on the next comp I make. Demolition kinda grew on me and I really like the ballads off it.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 01, 2008 02:47     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Out In The Cold", "Blood Red Skies" and "Ram It Down" would easily be in my tape. IMO they are up to par with any of the classics.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 01, 2008 11:33     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:

Nostrodomus has that same feel to me but I do understand what some are saying about everything sounding like an anthem, although a lot of their stuff from the middle of their career was the same way.

I dunno. It's just my impression on a once-over listen so far.
Your advise is good though...about giving it more time to grow.

We are going on vacation to the Adriatic coast of Croatia next week.
I will put the whole thing in the MP4 player and give it some more listens.

As far as Blabbermouth postings...i rarely read those or comment as most people on there have no brains.
It's good to see how Voivod always get more respect though.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 01, 2008 18:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess I need to spin my remasters of Turbo and Ram It Down maybe I'm just thinkin about the cheesey tunes so much that I forgot if there was anything worthwhile. I still cringe when I hear and watch Turbo Lover on the live dvds I have... those lyrics just ruin it for me. Too many corny metal love songs that seem more fitting for hair metal bands and not what I want JP to represent, although they obviously went thru that stage back then.

I didn't use any of the Ripper Owens material because I just wanted my comp to be all Halford. Those 2 albums are defintley among some of the heaviest tracks JP released.

--------------------

yawn

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted July 21, 2008 14:57     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This album's definitely grown on me after a couple of listens.

--------------------

String em up

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted July 21, 2008 18:33     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds quite processed.. keyboards are cool i've always liked them but on this its coming off quite... should i say, Gothy? Never really dug Halfords operatics... too staged.

Messiah from Candlemass rules ! and the keyboards on A.R. are how its done 'without sounding like Malmsteen or something'

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted July 21, 2008 19:07     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
'Sounding like Malmsteen'?
What, like, "Fuck off, I don't want a fucking donut!"

You won't hear me say that.

--------------------

String em up

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted July 21, 2008 19:18     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Copernicus will kick Nostradamus' butt any day
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted July 21, 2008 19:22     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Haha yeah, no-one can sing like Messiah.
Rob Lowe is damn good too though.

--------------------

String em up

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted July 23, 2008 11:12     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't heard the full album yet, but I thought the tracks they did live last night were excellent! (my ears are still ringing since I foolishly did not bring earplugs)

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted July 23, 2008 16:49     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Haha! It's great even if it does sound a bit like a cross between Hammerfall & Celine Dion in places.

--------------------

String em up

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan