my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The tests of time

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The tests of time
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 20, 2008 09:21     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
The tests of time

Michel “Away” Langevin of Quebec metal heroes Voivod reflects on a quarter-century of tragedy and triumphs

STANDING UP AGAIN: Langevin (R) and Voivod

by JOHNSON CUMMINS

“The story of Voivod is really an amazing one,” says illustrator and Voivod drummer Michel “Away” Langevin. An amazing story, to say the least, but as in any amazing story worth telling, Voivod have met each triumph with an equal amount of tragedy.

This story starts off in the bleak, isolated town of Jonquière, Quebec in the early ’80s. Four likeminded teens were drawn together over their mutual admiration of prog rock, krautrock, punk and a new style of heavy metal known as the British new wave. “We were lucky enough that there was a guy in Jonquière who would really seek out these bands, as well as hardcore bands like Broken Bones and Discharge,” says Langevin, “but because of our progressive rock background, we always sounded a bit different from the rest of the bands happening in metal at the time.”

Voivod made the move to Montreal during thrash metal’s heyday in 1985, and before long were touring on the strength of their first two albums, War and Pain and the aptly titled Rrroooaaarrr! It was 1987, though, when the band really came into their own with the highly influential Killing Technology. “We were recording in Berlin and listening to a lot of industrial stuff like Foetus and Einsturzende Neubauten. As well, we now had access to all this technology and that really opened a lot of doors for us musically.”
Metal, more and less

While they already had the respect of the underground, nothing could prepare Voivod for the jolt that 1989’s Nothingface would give their career. Their progressive and psychedelic sides had moved to the fore while their harnessing of technology proved to be unstoppable. It was at this summit of their career, though, that problems entered the picture.

Their label, eager to cash in on their success, urged the band to shy away from their metal roots, and the subsequent record, Angel Rat, was a disappointment to both fans and critics. For the first time, Voivod seemed unsure of their footing.

The original line-up splintered when bassist Jean-Yves “Blacky” Thériault, perhaps foreseeing impending doom, left the band before the record’s release. Shortly after, in 1994, singer Denis “Snake” Bélanger left for personal reasons. The band became a three-piece, with bassist/singer Eric “E Force” Forrest joining Langevin and Denis “Piggy” D’Amour, and went back to its metal roots. But at that point, metal was in a slump and the Seattle grunge sound was changing the landscape of heavy music. “There were a lot of bands trying to pretend they weren’t metal because it was no longer cool to call yourself a metal band. Those were some tough years, but we just did what came naturally to us.”

Not long after, while the band was on tour in Germany in 1998, their van spun out of control and flipped, leaving Forrest seriously injured and in a coma for months. Still, Voivod soldiered on. “You can’t stop what you’re doing because of obstacles,” says Langevin. “For me, it’s always been about, when you fall, you just stand up again.”
Life after Piggy

With bands like Sepultura, Fear Factory, Neurosis and Foo Fighters naming Voivod as one of their main inspirations, a newfound respect had attached itself to the band, and with former Metallica bassist Jason “Jasonic” Newsted entering the fold, it seemed Voivod’s day had finally arrived. Unfortunately, they would be stopped in their tracks again when, during a routine check-up, doctors found cancer in D’Amour that had advanced past the point of being operable. This incredibly gifted musician and humble man passed away on August 26, 2005. Before his death, D’Amour recorded guitar tracks on his laptop, leaving strict instructions for how the songs were to be recorded. The outcome was Voivod’s 14th record, Katorz.

“We’ve been mourning for the past two years and I just thought people would forget about Voivod after awhile, but the fans really want us to get back on the road to promote Piggy’s music, and we now feel we’re ready to do it.”

D’Amour left an additional 13 tracks for the band to work on, and plans are already underway for the next record, with Bélanger on vocals again and all three Voivod bass players contributing. Not only that, but the members are finally finished mourning and will start playing shows for the first time in years, with Martyr’s Dan Mongrain as replacement guitarist and original bassist Thériault returning after a 17-year absence.

“There was frustration at times but I was always proud that a bunch of bleuets from northern Quebec was able to make an impact on the world. I remember when we were recording The Outer Limits in L.A. and sitting in the pool at the Universal Hotel with Snake, and wondering how the hell we got there from a small town in Quebec. I’ll always remember that.”

Montreal Mirror, 06-19-08

|  IP: Logged
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 20, 2008 11:42     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm loving the resurgence of all-over good feelings about moving on after Piggy. And Blacky back in the fold! Christ, that HEAVY MTL gig should be a real tear jerker. Bring your Kleenex!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 20, 2008 14:38     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great article. Love the picture.

Where is Jason though?
Haven't heard anything about him lately.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 20, 2008 16:01     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by K:
Where is Jason though?
Haven't heard anything about him lately.

Does it matter? Hehe.
Seriously tho i heard he injured a finger or something quite badly.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 20, 2008 18:47     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah. I heard he tore something like a rotator cuff or bicep meatus thing or something, but still...
It's been months since that event.

Not wanting to turn this thread into a "Spot the Jasonic" one...
I find it somewhat odd that Mr. Newstead is AWOL in all news lately.

I am absolutely STOKED that Blacky is back though. In shock about it all really.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 20, 2008 20:37     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yah there was the shoulder incident a while back but the finger/hand thing is fairly recent - at least that's what I read, I honestly can't remember where.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 20, 2008 21:25     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i think i read on blabbermouth about Jason injuring a finger and then reinjuring it again. sorry, no source link to back me up, tho.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted June 21, 2008 11:34     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It was that Blacky wot done it. He done it with a mallet.

--------------------

String em up

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted June 21, 2008 13:36     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VOIVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 21, 2008 13:53     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syl Disjonk:
VOIVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted June 21, 2008 14:57     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
YEP!

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted June 21, 2008 16:01     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still think he should shave the side of his head.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted June 22, 2008 13:40     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Johnson Cummins"
yup, there is still a little of Beavis and Butthead in me! Now i will go back and read the article!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted June 22, 2008 13:46     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
I still think he should shave the side of his head.

yeah! he looks to have a slight comb over tho!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan