my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Vinyl! (Page 4)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: Vinyl!
DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted August 14, 2008 03:00     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice picturediscs Hex. Wow, is that ITP left in the middle?

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

|  IP: Logged
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted August 14, 2008 05:16     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hex, I think I might go out and buy one of those $35,000 SME 30/2 turntables, because:

"The machining quality of the proprietary setup tools and the smoothness and unfailing certainty with which the various locking screws rotate in their threaded sockets—not to mention the feel of the unlocking mechanisms—enhanced my confidence that the buyer's money will be well-spent."

It will take two Men (or one Skulhed) to lift this 94lb motherfooker out of it's packing crate. And then I shall put on my copy of this record:

I'm willing to put good money (if I have any left after buying the matching 'tone arm') that it will sound as... good? ... as it does on my old faithful Mr Twirly.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 15, 2008 01:15     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When I first read this thread a while back, I'd been wanting to spend more time advancing my vinyl collection and getting better equipment. Last week, I had my son over for the evening. Here's my blog of how the evening went...

He Wanted the Best. He Got The Best.

As a bit of fun last night and an attempt to get Speed off of the Cartoon Network, I suggested that we turn the night into "album night". We started with "Who's Next". He watched me slip the album out of the sleeve and onto the turntable; studied the motion of the lint brush across the record as it spun; and heard the speakers come to life to the sound of "Baba O'Riley". Within seconds, "I know that song". He was peering at the inner sleeve and then the cover art. Little things struck him and he would comment quietly as we both got lost in the music.

"Keith Moon..."

"Daddy, why they peed on that big rock?"

By the time we got to "Bargain", something was happening with The Boy. We'd listened to vinyl together before, but tonight was far more special. It felt like a course in fine arts appreciation. He wanted more. I pulled out another favorite and told him, "This is the album that made daddy want to play the guitar". He asked how many times I'd listened to it. "Hundreds easily, when I was a boy", I answered. "Wow. That's cool."

"You Wanted The Best And You Got It..."

Speed got his first taste of KISS Alive! on vinyl. The explosion that opens the show blasted through the speakers, garnering an enthusiastic response of "Whoa, man! Awesome!" I felt like a kid again. I told him that it came out when I was five, just like him. He pored over the cover art and inner booklet, over and over again. He told me he wanted to have a copy. Just so happens I did have an extra copy. In fact, I had four extra copies. I'm a nut for original pressings of KISS records. I'll buy 'em every time I see them. I always told myself that you never know when you might need one. I never expected such a wonderful need!

I went back to my stash and retrieved a copy for Speed. His first vinyl! He was beside himself. He wanted to play his copy. So, after side one, we swapped his on for side two. It's a good copy too. No scratches or pops. He was even more ecstatic now. Not only did he have his own copy (an original pressing), but it's in "audiophile" playing condition. The cover had seen better days, but he could care less. He held that album cover til the end of side four. I teared up a little.

We put on "Creatures Of The Night". That's when Speed learned the difference between iPod earphones and studio reference headphones powered by a real tube-driven stereo amplifier. So nice and warm.

He was starting to get heavy eyelids now. I told him I had one more good record to hear while he was going to sleep. He popped off his shoes and socks and spread out on the couch with the headphones on while a I put on an exceptionally clean copy of "Dark Side Of The Moon". He drifted off, still holding his copy of Alive! (now in its own protective plastic sleeve).

August 9, 2008: A vinyl connoisseur is born.

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted August 15, 2008 04:46     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NF, that make's me feel melancholic

--------------------

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 15, 2008 06:26     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Awesome story man! You must be stoked!
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted August 15, 2008 11:08     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
aw, damn thats a good story! My dad made me listen to Dark Side of The Moon on headphones when I was 5, too. Thats How It All Started.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted August 15, 2008 13:30     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Parents who buy ipods for their kids should be charged with child abuse. NothingFace should be father of the year.

Great story. Great story telling. Damn man, I remember when your kid was born! I actually got a lump in my throat. Kids will do that to you won't they? I recently caught my 7 year old singing Run to the Hills to himself just the other day! I almost cried! Now there's an album cover!

Rev. Joel
VoivodFan
Member # 1024

posted August 15, 2008 17:38     Profile for Rev. Joel   Email Rev. Joel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's one of the coolest things I've ever read!

--------------------

"Wow, a superpowers drug you can just rub into your skin? You'd think it'd be something you'd have to freebase."
- Philip J. Fry

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 15, 2008 19:34     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AWESOME blog Nothingface!!!! You must feel like the coolest fuckin parent in the universe. To pass on the joy of metal on vinyl to your son... priceless!!!!

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 21, 2008 00:34     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow. I wasn't really expecting all the responses. Thank you all very much. I'm happy to have been able to relate my joy with you.

Since that night, every visit turns into "album night". He's got a few records now, but they're hard to come by here. We've started hitting yard sales here since there are no vinyl dealers left.

I'm now looking into a new turntable for myself, and I'm going to pass my current one on to him. Researching turntables is complicated. Most point to the Rega-style, but I like a turntable that looks like a turntable, not abstract art or a kitchen gadget. I'm liking the new Sonys and Audio-Technicas, for the price.

Anyway, here's a picture of Speed from his first "album night".

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 21, 2008 16:03     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
y, otingfae, ishis name really "Speed" or do you call him this way???

I heard a collegue of mine, his friend, name his daughter "Raven" ....

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted August 21, 2008 16:08     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aaah, so cute!

--------------------

String em up

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 22, 2008 06:41     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GREAT picture. The rebirth of vinyl!!! Check out TECHNICS. they make a damn good table at an affordable price. I've got a couple of them from Ebay auctions that are in my house. The old classic models are still worth buying.

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 22, 2008 16:53     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:
y, otingfae, ishis name really "Speed" or do you call him this way???

I heard a collegue of mine, his friend, name his daughter "Raven" ....

He gets asked that all the time. "Speed" is his real name.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 22, 2008 16:55     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
GREAT picture. The rebirth of vinyl!!! Check out TECHNICS. they make a damn good table at an affordable price. I've got a couple of them from Ebay auctions that are in my house. The old classic models are still worth buying.

Thanks, I'll check into them. All I've heard about lately from Technics is their DJ tables, which aren't for me, so I haven't looked further. I will now. Thanks!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 22, 2008 18:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Technics might only make DJ tables now, I'm not sure. The ones I have were old used ones on Ebay. Both are Technics SL-1300. I also have a new Denon DP 29F (or T), but the Technics are way better. The Technics are belt drives which helps when playing old bootleg vinyls that need to be slowed down or sped up a little.

happy shopping

--------------------

yawn

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted August 23, 2008 11:04     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Those turntables are made of plastic?

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 24, 2008 11:52     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Denon is plastic but the old Technics are not.

--------------------

yawn

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted November 14, 2008 09:59     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Resurrect!

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted November 14, 2008 10:47     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
^^^
Great post nothingface! That was awesome!

My son is also 5 yo, he digs RHCP, Franz Ferdinand, Twisted Sisters (!). He also had a period when he would listen exclusively to Zappa's "RDNZL" (the 1974 live version).

This year, Santa is gonna get me a turntable.

tsawyerfam
VoivodFan
Member # 992

posted November 14, 2008 17:32     Profile for tsawyerfam   Email tsawyerfam     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:

We've started hitting yard sales here since there are no vinyl dealers left.

[/IMG]

Here is a link for my local record shop, Its about a 20 miute ride to get there, but they have a lot of great things. Check them out, you can order new and used vinyl from them.

Vintage Vinyl http://www.vvinyl.com/vinyl/index.php

There is also the Princeton Record Exchange as well. They have a ton of stuff as well.
http://www.prex.com/

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted November 14, 2008 19:48     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

over and over till my ears bled... started playing these on my own when I was about 11 yrs old. Cant remember the headphone model but they were big and brownish with enough surround padding to use as a pillow.

I must acquire these items from my stepfather.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 15, 2008 10:48     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now those are some photos of some CLASSIC and LEGENDARY items!!!!

--------------------

yawn

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted November 16, 2008 16:52     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Marantz! Gotta love vintage audio.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted May 21, 2009 06:35     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn....,

had a little accident last mornig. My marinetank, +/- 600L broke and made a indoor swimming pool from our living.. This is the result ->

I had to bring my complete vinyl collection upstiars to dry etcetera. Glad I had the Voivod collection from the floor.

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan