my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Metallica have lost it?? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Metallica have lost it??
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 07, 2008 07:44     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://metalinjection.net/2008/05/05/metallica-now-sounds-like-a-metallica-cover-band
 |  IP: Logged
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted May 07, 2008 09:52     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
don't worry, the therapist will help them through this phase.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 07, 2008 10:52     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
haha

At least we still have Testament and Death Angel!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted May 07, 2008 12:12     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Luna:
haha

At least we still have Testament and Death Angel!

Oh yeah and Exodus, Cavalera Consperacy and Celine Dion (listening to Ac/Dc)!!

By the way, 2 weeks ago I saw this Metallica coverband (The Unforgiven) and they realy sounded like Metallica in their old days. They where so sight you couldn't believe it. Even the singer looked a lot like James.

Metallica in this shape stinks like a rotten fish. Well maybe their new songs will explode? Dontthinkso....

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 07, 2008 15:57     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are they even still an issue anymore? I mean, really.
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted May 07, 2008 15:59     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Metallica is a limp dick.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted May 07, 2008 21:00     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Welcome to 1988.

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

Imran
VoivodFan
Member # 197

posted May 08, 2008 10:11     Profile for Imran   Email Imran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lost it? I believe they NEVER had it, even their first 2 albums absolutely SUCKED! And I've always felt like this.
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted May 08, 2008 13:43     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imran:
Lost it? I believe they NEVER had it, even their first 2 albums absolutely SUCKED! And I've always felt like this.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Before I bought Kill em all in 1982 (I'm an old fart, sorry ) I was only used to KISS and the likes.... When I heard the first tunes of Kill em All my whole world changed. It was Metallica who got me into the real shit. I often play KEM and RTL sometimes and the albums still give me goosebums. I think Metallica ment a lot to the music business, most bands call them as their influence. Ok, now they suck. But alive still a very good band and a well oiled machine. Just my 3 cents.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 08, 2008 17:33     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Metallica seem to be one of the only bands still around from back in the day that lost whatever thrash and heaviness they had and have been trying for years to find the edge they once had all those years ago.

I'm curious to hear what Anthrax is like with the new singer, since I've been a huge fan of theirs since day one. Even with all their singer and guitar changes they still put out some damn cool tunes and had that Anthrax vibe.

All these other bands from the early days of thrash: Testament, Slayer, Death Angel, Kreator, Megadeth (give or take a few bad spots), Exodus, Agent Steel (remeber them? Alienation fuckin shreds), Overkill, Voivod, and more, can still thrash out and tear it up like they did in the past. And they're still better than almost every thrash metal band that has come out since they started.

--------------------

yawn

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 08, 2008 19:26     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All this Metallica talk had me bring the 5.98$ Garage EP with me at work today. I had almost forgotten how good it was! It's probably my favorite release of theirs.
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted May 09, 2008 03:36     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
All this Metallica talk had me bring the 5.98$ Garage EP with me at work today. I had almost forgotten how good it was! It's probably my favorite release of theirs.

mmmm, good idea.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 09, 2008 21:17     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's funny how most of my favorite Metallica songs are actually cover songs by other bands
Not including that Bob Seeger track however.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 10, 2008 00:59     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is Metallica still important? If the number of posts on this very thread is some kind of evidence, the answer must be yes.

Oh, and no, I don't see anything wrong about this video. They're on a rehearsal room, James is not even singing... Any other band could do a shitty version of their own song and no one would even care. Any other band, but it's Metallica we're talking. Skul even bought an old album after seeing this thread.

Is Metallica still important? Yes.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 10, 2008 09:59     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic:
Skul even bought an old album after seeing this thread.

No. I had that cd since like 1990. I just kind of forgot that I had it, tho. Hehe.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 10, 2008 18:04     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know I'll probably buy the new Metallica cd just out of curiosity. I guess they're still "important" to the masses of fans that that liked them from "the Black Album" but I doubt "important" is the right term to use for the fans from the early days that think they haven't done anything worthwhile in many many years.

I am glad that they're working with Rubin... that certainly isn't a bad thing and I think they realize they need some help.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 10, 2008 18:58     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
No. I had that cd since like 1990. I just kind of forgot that I had it, tho. Hehe.

Oh. Okay then.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 10, 2008 21:11     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
they need some help.

--------------------

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted May 11, 2008 04:05     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The band is "always" as good as its rhythm-section. Case in point: LARS FUCKING SUCKS BIG-FUCKING ASS!!! He "always" had a free meal-ticket with Metallica, and of course after 1988: BEAToffTallica!!! He just really fucking sucks. James had to "literally" work overtime with that fag! Cliff "held-in" the glue when he was alive only because he was so f'n awesome!

Lars just completely sucks!

SO...

In order for the next Metallica album to even be considered somewhat "good", James needs to start drinking again...which in turn will drastically reduce those ad-libs of "Whoa-oh", and "Yeah, yeah" ten-fold among the lyrics.

Next and most importantly: Lars quits.

(or at least he stops hitting cymbals with his snare vs. hitting cymbals with his kick like a fucking normal drummer would!!!)

..and that "sonar-ping" of a snare is finally "KILLED" as well!!!

Then...maybe, "MAYBE" it might sound halfway decent!

Nope. (probably not)

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Cthon
Member # 156

posted May 11, 2008 22:57     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

agreed on that being my favorite, too. i got that one the day it came out. i always think its odd (but true) that Newsted played on my favorite Metallica record, haha.

as for Metallica after that? lets just say Voivod became my favorite thrash band about halfway through my first listen of ...And Justice For All...

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 13, 2008 16:29     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://metalinjection.net/2008/05/12/new-metallica-may-not-sound-so-shitty-after-all
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 13, 2008 16:48     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm....
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 13, 2008 16:55     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's the first trailer:
http://www.metalsucks.net/?p=5380

The guy is right...for Metallica it sounds pretty decent...read METAL.

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted May 13, 2008 18:01     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it will be GOOD.
I still dig Ride the Lightning and Master ... the song writing is phenomenal ..
Fight Fire with Fire... The thing that should not be ... Orion ...

I still can't believe they made St-Anger it's such a sad trainwrecking, at least Cold Lake is spectacular one.

Rubin with will get the best of em.

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted May 13, 2008 19:01     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
agreed on that being my favorite, too. i got that one the day it came out. i always think its odd (but true) that Newsted played on my favorite Metallica record, haha.

as for Metallica after that? lets just say Voivod became my favorite thrash band about halfway through my first listen of ...And Justice For All...

Sing along everyone....odd, but true! dum dum dum, dweedle dweedle dweedle dum...
That cassette, 5.98, was and is a fave of mine still!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan