my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The Outer Limits revisted

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Outer Limits revisted
hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted April 20, 2008 04:05     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://rayvanhornjr.blogspot.com/2008/03/underappreciated-slabs-saturday-voivod.html

Anyone know this guy or The Metal Minute? Wordy, but overall good review from a fellow Voivod fan.

....or is he among us

|  IP: Logged
Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted April 20, 2008 21:39     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anytime I think of that album, I immediately think of the guitar production... An odd spot to me is the beginning to Jack Luminous; You'd think in a somewhat more typical scenario that the bass would be more dry and a little louder in the mix, while the guitar would have more reverb and etherial mixing to it, whereas it's the exact opposite on this track - Bass is in an airplane hangar and distant, the odd guitar bits are very present and loud. Knowing that Away and Piggy put a lot of thought into this sort of thing, I'm thinking that this was a very calculated and intentional thing, doing the polar-opposite of the industry standard. And why not, it's also outrageously long, making it that much more contrary! It's *easily* one of my very fave VOIVOD tunes ever. There's nothing about it that I don't like, and everything about it that I do.

Quite a bit of riffology going on in this album, much more so than the albums after Snake's return. The Eric era has its own subset for writing of course.

Ok, enough of my bla bla bla.

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

piggysMYgod
VoivodFan
Member # 158

posted April 30, 2008 23:43     Profile for piggysMYgod   Email piggysMYgod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
love that album! as i do all, The thing I remember most about that album when it first came out, It was the first time I had seen what record labels are really about, They never really put any support behind that album, I really be leave if they did it would have been there biggest seller, but what ever right , that album to me just shows great music is not about the number$, its about the content. I always like the fact that Voivod was for US the fans the people who really appreciate fine music, but they deserved payoff$$ maybe piggy would still be hear.! sorry ..just thinking out loud.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan