my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » VOIVOD 2008 show announced for... Calgary? WTF? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: VOIVOD 2008 show announced for... Calgary? WTF?
Sean
VoivodFan
Member # 24

posted April 14, 2008 14:14     Profile for Sean   Email Sean     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Union and GoldenVoice Canada are pleased to announce the only event of it's kind in North America.

Somethings coming over the mountain. You better take cover, Canada, because the Monsters Of Rock are coming your way! Rock legend OZZY OSBOURNE has drawn upon the sinister power of OZZFest to create the biggest, meanest, loudest f**king rock festival you can imagine - The Monsters Of Rock. This one-day celebration of the heaviest music in the universe is landing exclusively in the Great White North at Calgary's McMahon Stadium on Saturday July 26th.

Ozzy Osbourne makes his long-awaited return to Calgary, doing what he loves best - making rock fans go f**king crazy! The Prince of Darkness will hit the stage with band mates Zakk Wylde, Michael Bordin, Blasko and Adam Wakeman to perform a blistering set of classics from his 38-year career as rocks purveyor of heavy metal, including songs from his latest earth-shattering (and certified
platinum) album, Black Rain.

Also along for the ride will be: JUDAS PRIEST, SERJ TANKIAN, CAVALERA CONSPIRACY, SHADOWS FALL and VOIVOD.

Also included in this stunning, hard-hitting line-up are American metal warriors TESTAMENT, Canadian dragon-slaying heroes 3 INCHES OF BLOOD, Montreal's swaggering headbangers PRIESTESS, and Vancouvers metal jesters ZIMMERS HOLE. (More bands TBA).

The Monsters Of Rock will provide metal fans a unique opportunity to see the greatest champions of hard rock together on a single stage. No other music event this year will come close the matching the power and intensity of this legendary gathering. Dont miss your opportunity to take part in hard rock history!

Tickets go on sale Friday April 18th at 12 NOON at all Ticketmaster outlets, charge-by-phone, and online at Ticketmaster.ca and UnionEvents.com for $119.50 - 49.50. VIP packages, which will include express admission, laminate, floor access and a private hospitality area, will also be available for a limited time (must be 18 and older to purchase)

|  IP: Logged
Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted April 14, 2008 14:23     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who'll play guitar?

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted April 14, 2008 14:29     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kisser or Martyr guitarist maybe???

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 14, 2008 14:29     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted April 14, 2008 14:37     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can they take turns?

--------------------

String em up

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted April 14, 2008 14:51     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you lucky fucking bastards.

Last time I saw Voivod was in 2001.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted April 14, 2008 15:19     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm sure the actual band lineup for the show(s?) will be adressed soon enough.
hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted April 14, 2008 15:39     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, just up I-25 to Denver, hit I-80 to Salt Lake City, jump on I-15 and drive and drive and drive and were there! Damn, that's practically right up the street

P.S.: I love the way they promote their city. Damn Indians are always getting in the way of progress!

"...Canada's high-rise architecture takes a backseat to no country. So don't let anyone tell you Canada is the land of teepees and igloos. That was a long time ago. Since then they've been replaced with corporate blockbusters and skyscraping condos."

...but seriously, really? How did that happen?

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 14, 2008 17:23     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WTF? Calgary? Fuck that shithole. Make a Winnipeg date!
Cthon
Member # 156

posted April 14, 2008 21:37     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Monsters of Rock lineup i saw in 1988 (i think)...

Kingdom Come
Metallica (with Newsted before Justice came out)
Dokken
Scorpions
Van Halen

but yeah, who is the guitarist?

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted April 15, 2008 02:18     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hypergrrl:
Damn, just up I-25 to Denver, hit I-80 to Salt Lake City, jump on I-15 and drive and drive and drive and were there! Damn, that's practically right up the street

P.S.: I love the way they promote their city. Damn Indians are always getting in the way of progress!

"...Canada's high-rise architecture takes a backseat to no country. So don't let anyone tell you Canada is the land of teepees and igloos. That was a long time ago. Since then they've been replaced with corporate blockbusters and skyscraping condos."

...but seriously, really? How did that happen?

Damn Hyper. That's practically next door

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted April 15, 2008 02:34     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmmm Calgary isn't next door..

Hope there is more to come

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 15, 2008 08:51     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ozzy Osbourne presents THE MONSTERS OF ROCK
RIFLEFIST
VoivodFan
Member # 180

posted April 15, 2008 11:09     Profile for RIFLEFIST   Email RIFLEFIST     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
12 hour drive for Voivod!!!! I'm sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 15, 2008 14:32     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Being so far down on the list I wonder how much time Voivod will get on stage. Also, why the hell are they reusing the name "Monsters Of Rock"? It just sounds outdated and these bands are NOT outdated. It just sounds like a tour for a bunch or has been rockers, but that's far from what it is. Why not GODS OF METAL or something cool like that?

oh well, who the fuck am I to make suggestions, right?

--------------------

yawn

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted April 15, 2008 14:39     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Also, why the hell are they reusing the name "Monsters Of Rock"?

Why the hell are they using the name "VOIVOD" is what I want to know. I'm really let down by this. I'm too far to go anyway, but if it was close, I don't know that I would attend this. I think it's terribly disrespectful. If they played the same music under a different name, I would be totally fine with it I think. I think to myself, "would Piggy want this?" And though YES I do think he would want his music to carry on, I just feel that THIS IS NOT VOIVOD.

Sorry.

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 15, 2008 14:46     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They said it's tribute to Piggy, so playing under the name Voivod, only makes sense. Besides don't you think Snake and Away should be given some credit for the Voivod sound? Each member of the band created their own distinct sound that made Voivod what they are, especially when Blacky was in the band. I'm wondering if Eric and Blacky will be making appearances at this concert.

Hell, if Thin Lizzy can tour without Phil Lynott.... At least there's still 50% of the original lineup, plus if Jason's on bass (which I would assume he will be) he's been involved with the band for many years also. I'm thrilled about hearing them play this show. I really hope they film it for a cd and dvd.

--------------------

yawn

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 15, 2008 20:00     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Somehow I have a feeling that this will all make more sense once an annoucenement has been made.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Cthon
Member # 156

posted April 15, 2008 22:03     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nia:
Ozzy Osbourne presents THE MONSTERS OF ROCK

i wonder if Ozzy owns stock in All State Insurance?

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted April 16, 2008 00:54     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Hell, if Thin Lizzy can tour without Phil Lynott....

They shouldn't be doing THAT either!!! lol

I know, I know, and you do have a point, even the 3-piece VOIVOD lineup had only 50% of the original band, and this would (presumably) as well. Still, no Piggy, that's just too much. I might be old-fashioned, or just plain OLD, but this simply doesn't sit right with me.

If it was a celebration for Piggy, why is it going to be stuffed in with a festival, where tons of folks won't even pay attention?

I'd be terribly interested to hear what Jean-Yves thinks about the whole thing. I'm not speculating that he'd agree or disagree, just wondering.

To everyone who does go, I do hope it goes well, and you all have a great time. I just can't.

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

-----------------

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted April 16, 2008 01:09     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
[QB]
Hell, if Thin Lizzy can tour without Phil Lynott.... QB]

Agreed!! Queen goes on tour without Freddy Mercury also!!

The Voivod might be waking up again.

--------------------

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 16, 2008 16:10     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie 88:
I'd be terribly interested to hear what Jean-Yves thinks about the whole thing. I'm not speculating that he'd agree or disagree, just wondering.
All the best,
PAULIE

hi paulie, i can't speak for jean-yves regarding this show, but i do know that he is ok with the music piggy wrote living on - both recorded and live. this was one of the reasons he agreed to participate on the final record.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 16, 2008 20:11     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree that it's ashame the tribute is squeezed into a festival setting, rather then an event all it's own, however, this event will draw so many more people that wouldn't go to a Voivod only show and expose the band to new ears... that's a big plus. Still another tribute show on it's own would be a good thing.

It's great that Jean-Yves is able to put his differences aside contribute to the final chapter in Voivod. It wouldn't be the same without him.

I do hope Voivod's music lives on and the band ocassionally performs in memory of Piggy once all his recordings have been put to songs. This is a band that should never let go of what they have created. The are one of the most unique bands of all time, and shopuld be enjoyed by generations to come.

--------------------

yawn

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted April 17, 2008 10:42     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Without question, just like everyone else, I'm terribly grateful that Piggy's work is living on - Particularly through the completion of his recordings. THAT is VOIVOD.

Missing the man,
PAULIE

PS Can't wait to hear JV's work on the new one! Wish he was doing the whole thing, in fact...

--------------------

-----------------

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted April 17, 2008 12:21     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HOLY HELL talk about a big GIG ... this is insane !!

Voivod should headline in my opinion!

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan