my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » CD covers

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CD covers
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 22, 2008 05:32     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wonder what is your opinion on CD covers. I think they suck most of the time. Especially the ones that have pictures of bloodfeasts, JC with his hands cut of etc. etc.

i have young kids and I want to keep them away from those pictures as long as it is possible. Is this just me on this board or are there any other opinions?

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 22, 2008 12:05     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have to disagree with you on 'Obzen' Paul. When I first saw it I was seriously moved...very effective at visually symbolizing the psychotic music inside...course I don't have kids either so I don't have to hide anything....can't say what I'd do if I was in your position. I've always loved collages as cover art...'World Downfall' immediately comes to mind as another brilliant one. Again I think a good metal album cover should be disturbing....its a reflection on the music which usually covers pretty dark topics.
Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted March 22, 2008 13:44     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like Dan Seagrave artwork.

Axel Hermann

I found a cool article about metal cover artwork HERE.

Let's not forget AWAY... here's a amazing new drawing that I found on his website :

Paul I understand your point about metal cover. Some of them are more about shock value than anything. Like :

Well I'm not in a very good position to talk crap about gore artwork since I have done that :

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted March 22, 2008 16:17     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My beef with album covers is that usually they're just not very good, or even particularly interesting. Oooh, guts, gore, monsters, war... yawn. But then, what else are you gonna put on the front of a metal album, as has already been said?

There are exceptions. Seagrave's great. And at least most bands make an effort, it must be said, instead of just sticking a photo of the band on the front.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 22, 2008 17:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i think an album cover should be an interpretation of the music that it holds. Whether it's disturbing or not. I think you should judge a record by it's cover. Now with all the downloading I think it's even more inportant for bands to really put a good package together to give a better reason to purchase it. There's a lot of bands that really go all out on packaging and make everything a work of art from what you see and what you hear. I do like when bands stick with the same artist so there's continuity from album to album.

I totally get where your coming from Paul, but then again this is the music that you enjoy and the albums with violent, sacreligious, vular, grotesque covers are usually a visual interpretation of the music. Celine Deion, certainly isn't going to have a cover with someone having sex with a rotting corpse. You can always box up the art and hide it away, but then aren't you worried about the lyrics when you play certain cds?

Being a parent is the toughest thing you'll ever do.

good luck mate

--------------------

yawn

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted March 23, 2008 10:57     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My problem with artwork nowadays is that it's all so predictable with all these photoshopped covers and vague non-sensical shit. I used to love these old Iron Maiden covers like 'Powerslave' which you could look at for hours and discover all sorts of hidden things, messages, etc...

Apart from that I like simple, effective artwork, like Bathory's 'The Return' or Mayhem's 'De Mysteriis De Sathanas'. No blood, guts or necrophilia, just plain, simple art which still manages to have an evil aura.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 23, 2008 11:55     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
You can always box up the art and hide it away, but then aren't you worried about the lyrics when you play certain cds?

Well. boxing up is what I do. But luckily (or sadly at the same time) My boys aren't into metal..... So they do not take out my CD's. Mille likes Iron Maiden a little but that's all. The lyrics I do not understand them all most of the time. I am not afraid that it is going to shock them when they grew older. They curse already in english.

--------------------

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted March 23, 2008 20:04     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dan Seagrave is the man.

& he seems to stick to just doing decent bands, so you know yer getting something good.

--------------------

String em up

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 24, 2008 00:23     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
My problem with artwork nowadays is that it's all so predictable with all these photoshopped covers and vague non-sensical shit. I used to love these old Iron Maiden covers like 'Powerslave' which you could look at for hours and discover all sorts of hidden things, messages, etc...

Apart from that I like simple, effective artwork, like Bathory's 'The Return' or Mayhem's 'De Mysteriis De Sathanas'. No blood, guts or necrophilia, just plain, simple art which still manages to have an evil aura.

My thoughts exactly, thanks for saving my time, sir.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted March 24, 2008 19:31     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
since you've asked Paul.

and thats a really sexy cow you have to admit it!

Seriously i like this one(no blood):

x3 AngelRat and Slay, although some blood & gore, suspended impaled corpses etc here and there never hurt anyone, just music or better just CD covers.
AH i remember the worst cover i've seen in my cd collection: Ministry Dark Side of the Spoon i dislike it therefore i've turn the booklet with the lyrics the cover.
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/7918/ministrydark3oe.jpg

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 24, 2008 19:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the new Testament cover is beautiful and I'm dying to hear the music.

I loved the Iron Maiden covers up until they replace Derek... that was almost as dumb as replacing Bruce with Blaze .

--------------------

yawn

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted March 25, 2008 01:54     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:

I loved the Iron Maiden covers up until they replace Derek... that was almost as dumb as replacing Bruce with Blaze .

I'll second that.

The E Force covers are great too, lovely artwork throughout the booklet for Evil Forces. I thieved some ideas from it.

--------------------

String em up

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted March 25, 2008 02:08     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oh let's not forget Rodney Matthews!

and speaking of shock value album covers we have this gem from Prosthetic Cunt...

and as could probably be predicted, the album's not that great.

--------------------

String em up

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted March 25, 2008 09:34     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone got a nice close-up of this new Seagrave one??

--------------------

String em up

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted March 25, 2008 10:31     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fuckin' Your Daughter with a Frozen Vomit Fuck Stick???

bwahahahahahahahahaha!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 25, 2008 17:39     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Luna:
Fuckin' Your Daughter with a Frozen Vomit Fuck Stick???

bwahahahahahahahahaha!

I woulda thought, lyrically, this woulda been very deep and thought provocking... filled with beautiful lines and vocals that could bring a man to tears!!!! But I'll heed the warning and skip putting it on my "must have list".

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan