my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Meshuggah-Obzen

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Meshuggah-Obzen
anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted March 21, 2008 19:46     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Has anyone heard this?
To my ears, it's like the "Nothingface on steroids" we always kept hearing about. For real. It's that good. Listening to this, it's like I really am "Forgotten in Space."

|  IP: Logged
anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted March 21, 2008 19:48     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This could also be like the soundtrack to the building of the death star
nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted March 21, 2008 20:43     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.voivodfan.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001746&p=46
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 22, 2008 03:08     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, Yeah. I am a great fan of Meshuggah have all their music but have not been able to catch them live. Hopefully they will come to Holland someday, and I will go.

I listen to "Nothing" a lot and also the latest one doesn't let me go. But I hate the cover of that album, why all the blood. I have little kids and I have to hide the CD all teh time. That sucks.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 22, 2008 18:01     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
most of my friends are raving about this new album. I'm playing BLEED as I type (from their Myspace)... I don't know... it's heavy, no doubt about it. But guess what? The singing does NOTHING for me... shocked, huh? He's just screaming, no dynamics, no variety, just the same sound, same range... blah.

Everyone raved about Radiohead's OK Computer. I own it and tried listening to it many times, but that damn whinning voice just irks me no matter how cool or how layersed or how incredibly well engineered that album is... it's just some dude whinning the lyrics to my ears.

to each his own, right?

--------------------

yawn

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted March 22, 2008 18:51     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's their best album yet. Also the most accessible.
The vocals are just plain boring, one tone howling all the way. It would be even better without it.

4 faves:

Combustion
The thrashiest song on there, a kick in the butt with cool riffing. Just a shame that the bass can't go low enough to pump behind those 8 stringers in a good way. A pretty damn straight forward tune by Mes standards.

Bleed
The guitar picking in sync with those bassdrums, ohlala . Tighter than a atomic clock. Would love to see them do that cleanly live. Of course they will pull it off, and they will all helicopterbang while doing it, After 4.45, after the slow part, when the machine fires up again is just amazing.

Pravus
Great intro. 2-3-4...2-3-4, followed by a few seconds of (not that good chuggah). But after that is taken care of, it's mad, clever energy all the way.

Dancers to a discordant system
Meshuggah madness. Great, but again with crappy vocals :-/

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted March 23, 2008 06:04     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:

Everyone raved about Radiohead's OK Computer. I own it and tried listening to it many times, but that damn whinning voice just irks me no matter how cool or how layersed or how incredibly well engineered that album is... it's just some dude whinning the lyrics to my ears.

to each his own, right?

Hehehehe... death to whiney shit!

--------------------

String em up

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted March 23, 2008 10:49     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I totally agree about the vocals being annoying as fuck. However, at least they don't detract from the music which is great. The drumming and guitars are tight as hell, yet complex and Thordendahl's soloing is stunning as always.

And the artwork still sucks.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 24, 2008 00:28     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anything:
Has anyone heard this?
To my ears, it's like the "Nothingface on steroids" we always kept hearing about. For real. It's that good. Listening to this, it's like I really am "Forgotten in Space."

I respect your opinion but I have to disagree on that. "Nothingface on steroids" is a bit too much to describe this album, imo it's a great album, but not THAT great.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted March 24, 2008 11:48     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heard it. It's kinda cool but it gets pointless after a few songs. I guess i could lump 'em with Tool and other bands that are considered sacred cows in some circles but that don't do a thing for me.

And i dont see anything wrong with the cover. It's actually quite poignant. If you're gonna complain about a little blood on a metal album cover, you're in the wrong genre.

Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted March 24, 2008 13:51     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Meshuggah lacks of melody.

--------------------

What the...?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 24, 2008 19:46     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
I totally agree about the vocals being annoying as fuck. However, at least they don't detract from the music which is great. The drumming and guitars are tight as hell, yet complex and Thordendahl's soloing is stunning as always.

And the artwork still sucks.

I'd buy it in a second if it was instrumental. That goes for a lot of bands who musically are incredible but voacally suck shit.

--------------------

yawn

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 27, 2008 21:58     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon6:

THANK YOU!!

This is my biggest complaint with most of this math-core shit. By the time you're
able to tap out the incredibly complex rhythms, you're tired of the fucking song.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 28, 2008 06:37     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon6:

Sometimes you do not need melody. I love this band for being not melodic at all. Sometimes when I (am forced to) listen to the radio I get sick the melody overload and I am happy to listen to some Non-melodic stuf like Meshuggah!!

--------------------

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 28, 2008 10:15     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To me its all about the feeling I get when I listen to music. I happen to feel good when I listen to Meshuggah riffs. To me its "I like it or I do not" most of the time. Good there are many people with many different taste.

--------------------

warcorpse
VoivodFan
Member # 1

posted March 31, 2008 14:48     Profile for warcorpse   Email warcorpse     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm with Paul, I like it.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted March 31, 2008 15:12     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:
To me its all about the feeling I get when I listen to music. I happen to feel good when I listen to Meshuggah riffs.

I'd never heard them until I saw them live about 2 years ago...they pretty much blew me away. It was a very visceral, right to your balls (I know...I don't have those boy balls ) feeling. They will be here in April w/Ministry.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted March 31, 2008 16:15     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds good to me.

--------------------

String em up

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted April 01, 2008 00:19     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Luna:
I'd never heard them until I saw them live about 2 years ago...they pretty much blew me away. It was a very visceral, right to your balls (I know...I don't have those boy balls ) feeling. They will be here in April w/Ministry.

I'm sure they're completely brutal live.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 01, 2008 14:13     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've never really gotten into them, but I got a 2 song sampler in the mail and REALLY like the tracks on it (Obzen and Bleed). I can't stop playing the fucking thing! I think I may be forced to purchase this on the merits of these 2 songs alone!
Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted April 04, 2008 10:18     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:

I'd buy it in a second if it was instrumental. That goes for a lot of bands who musically are incredible but voacally suck shit.

This is a problem for a lot of newer bands.

Or maybe I'm just getting old?

Anyway Obzen is ok, but I have to take it in short doses.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan