my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » distortion pedal

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: distortion pedal
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted February 20, 2008 12:39     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello, what distortion pedal should i use. You know what sound i am aiming for....

Ride the lightening,
Speak English or die
Old Celtic Frost
etc. etc.

Under $100,-

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted February 20, 2008 13:41     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The one i have has the cheesiest name ever
Line6 Ubermetal : http://www.thomann.de/se/line6_tone_core_ueber_metal.htm

Lot's of different sounds and it has a great noisegate. The only distpedal i actually rarely have maxed out.

Hum. A bit more that you said for price though, 105€. And you'll need a poweradapter too, because it eats battery like a monster.
------------------------------------
Boss Metalzone MT-2: http://www.thomann.de/se/boss_mt2_metal_zone.htm
95€

People who tried both seem to prefer the Line6 over the Boss.

If you find something else, go here and see if you can find any reviews for it before buying: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects

There should be a Dutch version of that store as well. Maybe lower prices there.

More dist for the people

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 21, 2008 15:24     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't get the Metal Zone, unless you want to make electric-razor-black-metal.

For metal, the best distortion is amp distortion, from a high-gain amp. For an old school thrash sound, I'd try the Rat (that's what Hetfield used on KEA).

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted February 21, 2008 15:40     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup. A tube amp's natural gain rocks. But it's not that good if youre living in a flat unless you wanna move soon Sounds best at 11.

The Rat is cool.

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 22, 2008 13:35     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you aim for that S.O.D. sound, lemme tell you there is a kind of "Scott Ian signature" Boss (I think, not sure) distortion pedal. There's a vid of him demonstrating the effects and, yes, it sounds similar to that "Live at Budokan" crunch.

I'm at work, don't have access to orkut or YouTube. Tonight I'll let you know about the details.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Roye Albrighton
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 1019

posted February 22, 2008 14:51     Profile for Roye Albrighton   Email Roye Albrighton     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Paul:
Try the RAT..it's a great pedal and you can find them quite cheap on ebay

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 22, 2008 16:45     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I had a RAT many many years ago and sold it to the guitarist in a local punk band called SICK. It was way before the internet and Ebay and he couldn't find one anywhere, so I figured it would get put to better use by someone in a band than by some hack like me. I've only heard great words about the RAT.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 22, 2008 23:04     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh well, just in case you're interested, the pedal I was talking about is from Digitech, it's the "Scott Ian's Black 13" pedal.

Check Scott demonstrating the thing:

Scott Ian's Black 13

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

consumer
VoivodFan
Member # 421

posted February 23, 2008 17:01     Profile for consumer   Email consumer     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For the old Celtic Frost sound could try the old Boss - Heavy Metal Pedal or the Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9. Or some other pedal that can dial in that cool midrange. Of the two the HM pedal has always been more capable of a rawer sound in my opinion though. Plus you can do Swedish Death Metal (ala Entombed or Dismember) too.

Old Metallica or SOD: any of the ones mentioned in this thread (or lots others) will do. Just experiment a bit with pulling out (or "scooping") the mids on both your amp and/or the pedal. With the lows and highs turned more up. Also the heavy palm muting helps of course on the chunka stuff.

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted February 24, 2008 12:33     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
mmmmm.... thank you all. I was thinking that this would be the right place to ask questions like these...... I was right.

The people in the guitar shop are receiving new distortion pedals next week. These are BOSS Metal pedals. I think i am gonna go check them out. But I at least want to have a play with the others mentioned. The Scott Ian Black 13 seems to me very cool but not much differences in the sounds. The RAT is pretty cheap 2nd hand. I will let you know....

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 24, 2008 18:11     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I picked up a Digitech RP300A processor from an Ebay auction a couple years ago that has a shitload of presets and you can make your own presets and tons of other cool sounds. There's even a wah wah / volume pedal. The reason I'm mentioning it is that I didn't pay too much more for this than you would for a couple good pedals, and it'll do so much more. It's got lots of greeat preset metal tones, and even drumbeats you can play along with. I have it hooked into my small Fender amp with headphones jacked into the amp, to hear myself and not scare the neighbors. Bottom line is, as long as the axe is in tune, I can actually sound like I know what the fuck i'm doing with all the tones programmed into it. Definitley worth looking into, because of all the options you have with a processor.

I'm by no means an expert and I'm sure someone else here that is an experienced player (of guitars) can tell ya if they agree or disagree with me, and give ya some pros and cons.

just a thought
let us know what ya end up with.

I'm digging the Scott Ian pedal video.

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 25, 2008 10:20     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic:
Oh well, just in case you're interested, the pedal I was talking about is from Digitech, it's the "Scott Ian's Black 13" pedal.

Check Scott demonstrating the thing:

Scott Ian's Black 13

I kinda dig those Digitech pedals. I have the Bad Monkey overdrive and it's amazing, boost the hell out my tube amp.

Oh, paul, tube amps, that's the shit. But the Rat is the only ditortion pedal that makes a solid state amp sound warm. I'd suggest a Rat with an overdrive, to boost the gain.

And scoop the mids for the heavy sound, especially if you play at home. The scooped-mids sound doesn't cut very well in a band situation, though...

And I'm not too fond of digital units...

jf
VoivodFan
Member # 645

posted February 25, 2008 10:27     Profile for jf   Email jf     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's the year of the Rat, build one (dirt cheap if put together from scratch)

RODENT !!!

Build Your Weapons

--------------------

(11) Le texte original dit quatorze, mais maintes raisons invitent à supposer que, dans la bouche d'Astérion, ce nombre représente l'infini.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted February 27, 2008 02:31     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
my Rat is sick. it loses tone or cuts out when i play fast, really really fast. i play fast! something like Whiplash with that fast pickin, the Rat cuts out oh so quietly, but i notice it. pissin me off really, but i do like it when it works properly.
i do have a small collection of distortion pedals and my fave at the moment is the Digitech Metal-something?? it's in my truck and i can't remember the name of the damn thing! Also have a Boss Metal Core, which is ok, a Boss Metal Zone, eh...nice eq knobs, but not enuff wetness in the gain. Tube Screamer, and a Washburn Stack In A Box from the 80's which i still love! Really don't need any of them with my Rectumfrier!
The Rat sounds great thru a bass rig as well!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 27, 2008 10:02     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Forget pedals.........

Two words for ya: MESA BOOGIE

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 27, 2008 10:11     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Forget pedals.........

Two words for ya: MESA BOOGIE

Well, I second that, but then again, looks like Paul wants to spend only a thousand euro-bucks.

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 17, 2008 22:43     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic:
Scott Ian's Black 13

Ahh I'll bet that's another Stephen King reference from ol' Scotty.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan