my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » voivod giving love to eric forrest

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: voivod giving love to eric forrest
dueditor
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 1005

posted September 17, 2007 22:30     Profile for dueditor   Email dueditor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Some or all of you might have seen the interviews from which these quotes were taken, but it's cool to revisit them in this context.

See below to read some comments Snake, Jasonic, and Away have made about Eric Forrest. Very nice.
http://basementbar.com/DefaultN1.asp?GoTo=InterviewN1.asp?ID=131

How do you feel about Phobos and Negatron?

Away: These albums were done under difficult circumstances. We feel very proud of those albums. Every time we put an album out it's the best we can do at that period of time. It's the same for this new album. We really worked hard to make sure that we were doing our best. We aren't slackers. If it wasn't for all the difficulties we've had in our career we would've put out forty albums.

Jasonic: These albums are different, because of respect Michel and Piggy were there, but Snake wasn't there. For me, the true voice of Voivod is Snake. God bless Eric for what he did for the band and what he went through, he does his own thing, they made some very heavy albums but it's a totally different thing. I didn't spend as many hours listening to those records as I did all the others.
http://www.metalupdate.com/interviewvoivod2.html

Metal Update: Were you aware of what Voivod was doing after you'd left? Did you listen to 'Negatron' and 'Phobos'?

Snake: Yeah, we kept in touch here and there. Sometimes we'd have a small reunion during Christmas time, things like that, and I would join them when they were playing, singing "Voivod", and I was backstage and everything. I shared what I was doing with them, I was doing Union Made, so we shared tapes and stuff. They were doing 'Phobos' and 'Negatron' and -

Metal Update: What do you think of those albums?

Snake: Oh, I think they're great. I think for that period of time and the situation they were involved in, they had to focus and get back to the roots of metal and that's what they focused on. From my point of view, that's what I hear, but maybe they'd have something else to say. I think they headed for a really crunchy sound in a way to get back to the band's metal roots.

Metal Update: When you were singing with them on stage as a guest, did you feel your re-entry into Voivod was imminent?

Snake: Well, back then, it's funny because I didn't know what to expect. I think after a while they had a hard time with Eric and for some reason it didn't work out, but back then when I was watching Eric singing I thought it was great and I was enjoying the lineup as it was. (laughing)

|  IP: Logged
Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted September 18, 2007 00:23     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
E-FORCE are re-recording/covering a 2001 Voivod demo song called 'Victory' on their next album in tribute to Piggy.

THAT IS WHAT IS COOL NOW.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 18, 2007 05:17     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Phobos is proving to be an absolute classic for me. It's always years later when you find yourself still giving an album regular plays that it confirms it's status. I listen to it a hell of a lot more than the self titled release.

I'm looking forward to hearing the unreleased Eric-era stuff. Where is that damn DVD?!!

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted September 18, 2007 06:42     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personally i find Negatron and Phobos amongst the very best albums Voivod created. I am fond of the more harder metal. I cannot tell you what i felt when i heard the very first tones of "INSECT". I remember coming from the Octoberfest in Munich and i took along an American guy i met at the table drinking extremely large pints of the best German bear available. He crashed at my place in order to see more of Holland. I remember telling him the new Voivod album was going to come out so we went to the local recordshop and i bought Negatron. "Voivod?", he asked me. What is that? I told him it was a metal band with PinkFloyd influences.... Haha. Then Negatron blasted out of the speakers. I remember him asking: "Is this PinkFloyd influenced?"

Horns up for Eric Forrest. Hopefully i will meet him again someday when he tours his new monster with E-FORCE.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 18, 2007 11:43     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Paul - are you anywhere near Tilburg? I'm gonna be there this weekend for the ZXZW festival. It'd be cool to meet another VVF!
Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted September 18, 2007 11:52     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Talk about a typo :
Now, not only has ex-Metallica/ex-Flotsam And Jetsam bassist Jason Newsted joined their ranks, but original vocalist Blackie is back in the fold.

... holy hell ...

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted September 18, 2007 13:57     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Hey Paul - are you anywhere near Tilburg? I'm gonna be there this weekend for the ZXZW festival. It'd be cool to meet another VVF!

For me it is about 125 kilometers. Have lots of fun!

--------------------

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 18, 2007 17:00     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Will do mate! Cheers!
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 18, 2007 17:47     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Phobos is proving to be an absolute classic for me. It's always years later when you find yourself still giving an album regular plays that it confirms it's status. I listen to it a hell of a lot more than the self titled release.

I second that!!!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted September 19, 2007 05:17     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember very clearly the first time I put Negatron on and hearing the first few bars of Insect. It was a 'holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuck!' moment. Heaveeeeeeeeeey..

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 19, 2007 10:22     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Emlyn.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted September 19, 2007 19:40     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Phobos!

Eric Forrest!!

Yes, I'm very stoked for the next dvd!!!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted September 19, 2007 20:28     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:

I'm looking forward to hearing the unreleased Eric-era stuff. Where is that damn DVD?!!

What Harry said...

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted September 19, 2007 21:30     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I loved Negatron right of the bat. Phobos was a bit of a grower. I liked it but the more I lstened the more I discovered all the subtle nuances that make it a brilliant record. Negatron isn't subtle - it just fucking kicks your ass.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 20, 2007 19:02     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it's nice hearing Snake give props to Eric... very cool. I'd love to hear them do some of those songs with Snake singing

--------------------

yawn

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted September 28, 2007 03:18     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After several issues w/a previous "inter-nought" server putting my online presence in "limbo-incommunicado",I'm back...I really got into the "zooming skyward electro-shock" survivalist machinations of the "Negatron" album!!! Been playing it at "over-loud" level in the car to and from work for the last two days...I'll do the same with the "Phobos" cd on Mon/Tues...Thematically the "Phobos" concepts,of course hits deeper with what may have been sonically on it's predesessor,a tech-paranoic street-metal edge during Earth's last days..."Ericula","E-Force",also the nickname "E-ffect" sounds cooler..as if he was undergoing the volatile 'Voivodian-mutant X-Ray Mirror" process in a series of experiments from "Rise"-great "vampirfic-death squawk" when he belts out "Anark,neuro-perfect"..the dizzingly doom-signal Piggy chord that comes out just at he beginning(repeated 3-4 times)before the vocals-all the way to the "stormy-weather" chorus of "must overcloud...must overcloud" near the end,"Mercury: with it's sulfuric toxic-cloud grooves,"Phobos"-it's the space-spider network watching you,I know the population is building weapons,so it's Phobos Moon,dying star...phobos doom-lying star.."Quantum"-self-replication and conquest-physics","Neutrino"-an even more stark tale of haunting memories than "Cosmic Conspiracy"via languid laser beams-particularly memorable with what sounds like Piggy doing a musical ascending scale of an unstable chemical composition as the elements merge,congeal,react and boil over into Eric's "neuro-corrosive vox" and finally,'Forlorn" with it's sci-fi feel of the Voivod simultaneously creating it's other-selves for the final battle against human rebels/old-age growing pains from the character's many previous adventures from a silicon desert field to outer/inner dimensions,his home planet finally"-Yeah,I know I rambled a lot on this,but as you may or may not tell,I really get a lot of thought-provoking entertainment value from all the Voivod albums and being a sci-fi fan in general--just using my imagination here...Ciao!

"in the age of erosion,the end is signalled by machine"-

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted October 01, 2007 13:45     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:

I'll second that too!!

--------------------

String em up

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan