my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Wacken 2007

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wacken 2007
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted August 08, 2007 05:57     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In short it was a blast! In fact it was amazing it took place at all as the site was turned into a lake by about 2 solid weeks of rain. Got to hand it to the organisers, they did a fantastic job in the circumstances.

Best moment of the whole weekend was seeing Jeff Becerra. He was genuinely overwhelmed by the crowd reaction. Possessed were absolutely amazing and he did an incredible job from the wheelchair. Metal horns aloft, respect is mandatory regardless of whether you like death metal or not.

Best band of the weekend to my surprise were Cannibal Corpse. They delivered an object lesson on how to deliver a death metal set. It was tight, bedwettingly heavy, sounded absolutely fabulous and was straight to the point. Hats off to them, even after almost 20 years they still have the hunger to deliver.

Biggest disappointments were Dimmu Borgir and Immortal. I was really looking forward to seeing Immortal but they seemed strangely flat and rusty. It wasn't bad, just not as good as I was hoping. I missed Stormwarrior (featuring Kai Hansen) where they played songs from Helloween's Walls Of Jericho, to see Immortal instead. I think that was a mistake. Dimmu just didn't click for me, the material they played was generally stuff I liked, it just seemed to get lost in the sound system and they seemed to lack the artillery to deliver.

There was also a fire, probably caused by a cigarrette end, which stopped the festival on friday for about 40 minutes. Incredibly every act still played their full set!

The schedule for the WET stage was changed on the Saturday, which pushed Vital Remains out to beyond 3am so we either missed or they didn't play, which was a pity.

Other stuff I liked:

Napalm Death delivered as usual. I find Barney one of the most hilarious front men to watch, his random body movements are stuff of true comedy! Sacerd Reich were fabulous, a real treat. Saw them in London on the previous Sunday which was a riot as well Destruction delivered a cracker of a set and the circle pit during Bestial Invasion was a monster. I lost count of amount of the people I sent up for a crowd surf, in the end they were forming a queue!! 1349 were on course to end the day with a bang until the sound system appeared to go bang itself and we lost everything for about half a minute! When it returned something had clearly gone wrong because they were almost indecipherable. Shame, they were doing really well until that point. Sabbat were fabulous, although Simon Negus's drumming leaves a lot to be desired and Fraser Craske was absent. Didn't matter though, we were well happy! Belphegor had to put up with a terrible sound but they still came up with the goods. Well impressed.

Stuff I disliked:

I've not bought a Rage album since Trapped way back in 1992 but I was utterly horrified with their set. They used to be a pretty handy melodic thrash act - now they are churning out this horrid rock opera dirge. What a waste! I'm not a big fan of Stratovarius either but the Germans seem to love it and it is a German festival after all. Type O' Negative were terrible, I really don't see the reason this band are so popular, especially not when the singer seems to be hellbent on pissing the crowd off. Went and saw some of Moonsorrow but wasn't too impressed with that either!

If I haven't mentioned it I either didn't see it or it didn't stick too well in the mind.

I will be going next year for sure!

--------------------

Hail Santa...

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 08, 2007 09:15     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It has long been a dream of mine to attend one of these festivals. Ever since I was kid I've been intriqued...you are one lucky bastard sir. I'm hoping for next year.
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted August 08, 2007 10:07     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wacken is now apparently the largest exclusively metal festival on Earth - I don't know how true that claim is though. Next year Iron Maiden will headline. It'll be worth it for €99 (£67) and that includes camping I have to confess though I don't camp - we take the hotel option cos we're poofs LOL! Just as well we did this year it looked pretty grim for campers thanks to the rain sodden ground. Food is also pretty reasonable for a festival and the prices are good, again considering it's a festival - €4 for a pork steak, €3 for a huge bratwurst and they are gorgeous! There is pasta, noodles and other food available too all around the €3 - €5 mark - it's not the ritz for sure but it's much better and cheaper than we get at a UK festival. It's €3 for 400ml of Becks or €7.50 for a litre and it's not watered down either. And to top it all the two music shops had a colossal selection of CD's, vinyl and loads of other goodies to peruse through. My mate picked up loads of old thrash classics on CD for very reasonable prices - basically stuff that was £16 or £17 over here or not even possible to get were €10 - €15 at Wacken. He found everything he was looking for too. It's also a vinyl lover's heaven, I could have spent a fortune there easily - as it is I spent over €200 but check the new CD's thread and see what I got for the money

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 08, 2007 14:11     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahhh...sounds even better now. But I think I'd have to camp. The misery factor is part of the experience..you know, just like the vikings. Maybe I'll see you there next year.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 08, 2007 20:30     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
COOL reveiw of the festival. Also thanks for the warning on what RAGE has been puttinmg out for the last few years. Whenever I listen to my old Rage cds (perfect man - secrets in a weird world) I have to urge to buy the rest of their catalog but never have gotten around to it. I know buy the live dvd I have they do have a bunch of releases that I should pick up, but I'll be aware of the symphonic/thrash stuff you mentioned and avoid it.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan