my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Eurovision 2007 - Helsinki

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eurovision 2007 - Helsinki
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 11, 2007 02:28     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is anyone else watching this?
Semi-finals were on last night. Finals on Saturday evening.

The two strongest were Serbia and Hungary. Excellent vocals.
(I liked the Georgia song also.)
Biggest disapointment was the Czech Republic band not making it.

Worst songs were Israel (nearly banned with that political shit song) and Swiss (Vampires? haha!).

::::::

The following countries reached the final (starting position in brackets)

* Belarus (3)
* F.Y.R. Macedonia (6)
* Slovenia (7)
* Hungary (
* Georgia (11)
* Latvia (14)
* Serbia (17)
* Bulgaria (21)
* Turkey (22)
* Moldova (24)

There are some unlucky countries that failed to qualify in every semi final broadcast so far: Andorra, Portugal and Estonia. Furthermore, Montenegro and the Czech Rpublic failed to qualify on their first attempt. On the other hand, F.Y.R. Macedonia has qualified on every occasion (although they always were out of the top10 in the final), furthermore Turkey will have been in every final since 2004 after Saturday's show.

::::::

There are 24 countries in the final.

Latvia
Armenia
Serbia
Slovenia
Spain
Germany
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Georgia
Finland
Greece
Russia
Sweden
Turkey
U.K.
Moldova
Hungary
Ireland
Ukraine
Macedonia
Belarus
Bulgaria
Lithuania
France
Romania

|  IP: Logged
Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted May 11, 2007 07:31     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not quite sure why continental Europe takes this enormously naff contest seriously. The songs are usually risible - yes, I do include the UK's entries too, even the winning ones - and certain countries openly rig the system by voting for each other. Bah humbug.

Tut-tuttingly yours,

Disgusted of West London

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted May 11, 2007 07:46     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Eurovision song contest is one of the most horrible things to watch on television imo. There is hardly a good song recognizable Only mainstream singasong crap.

Holland dropped out of the selection round yesterday.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 11, 2007 10:40     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree that the music is mostly horrible crap and what Hellrider says about countries voting for each other is true, but the reasons i enjoy it are...

From a musicians viewpoint, i can vastly appreciate someone with a good voice.
Serbia's performance last night just blew me away. That girl was damn good and pulled it off perfectly!
All political differences aside.
I can also appreciate it when there is a good song. The musicianship is what i mean.
I do realize...and think it sucks...that the only thing actually being performed LIVE in Eurosong, are the vocals.
The other people are just standing there wanking-off with unplugged guitars in hand.

The second reason i like Euorvision is that there is nothing like it in America.
I am facinated with the whole idea of countries in musical competition with each other.
It is interresting the way music surpasses anything political and "enemy" countries will vote for each other if the performance is good.
Turky - Greece, Croatia - Serbia - Bosnia for instance.
I had never heard of Eurosong till moving here.
My first impression of it was bad...but it quickly grew on me. Bad songs and all.

Too bad Croatia sucked this year...like usual.
On our national competition level, there was an excellent band from Istria that SHOULD have represented Croatia.
Ethnic instruments...very haunting melody. Absolutely great music.
Well...as we can see it all seems to be rigged somehow and the people who represented us sucked.
The Istria guys were not commercial enough i guess.

Cheers!

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted May 11, 2007 11:58     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The UK entry sucks serious ass and we'll struggle to get anywhere near the top ten. I think avoiding the dreaded 'nil point' is the goal fo the UK! I can't believe that every year we enter more or less the same drivel and every year it gets hammered. Didn't Lordi winning last year teach us anything? I think we should take a risk and allow Sabbat to play instead

It would have been so funny if Finntroll or Korpiklaani had represented Finland this year. Sadly they've opted for the safe(r) evanescence style rock anthem with the rather delicious Hanna Pakarinen (never heard of her before). Don't see it winning personally.

And as usual it'll be the naffest thing on earth with politically motivated voting - to be honest I think it's a colossal waste of time. The only thing that makes it worth watching at all is listening to Terry Wogan's commentry - it's the stuff of legend!

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted May 12, 2007 19:59     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Kula, congrats for the #1 spot on the contest...oh shit, that was Serbia not Croatia, sorry! There was only Yugoslavia when I was a kid, I still confuse these new states...

Personally I think Bulgaria and Georgia had worthwhile songs, the rest was boring. Well okay, the winning piece was passable...
Actually I was rather surprised that there really was a song or two that I did not want to turn off right away. Or maybe it's just my brain going soft.

Why the hell was that ultra-scheisse act, out of all the far better alternatives, chosen to represent England? Bring Venom next time.
I was also quite surprised that The Ark got so few votes, their style seemed very suitable for this contest.

Anyway, got to agree with The K, it's a fun program to watch anyway...I heard there have been plans to start a North American version of the same format sometime in the near future. We shall see...

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 13, 2007 06:15     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
2007 Eurovision Final results:

1. Serbia
2. Ukraine
3. Russia
4. Turkey
5. Bulgaria
6. Belarus
7. Greece
8. Armenia
9. Hungary
10. Moldova
11. Bosnia
12. Georgia
13. Romania
14. Macedonia
15. Slovenia
16. Latvia
17. Finland
18. Sweden
19. Germany
20. Spain
21. Lithuania
22. France
23. U.K.
24. Ireland

Wow! Serbia kicked ass.
They're win has pissed off some folks here.
Especially when the winner was seen holding up the Serbian three finger sign.
It was funny how some were booing them too.
That as a result of Serbia's latest political situation.
Its a country going backwards into old ultra-nationalism...instead of moving forward.

Regardless...it was a good performance.
Cant argue with that.

I was cheering for Georgia.
The cool club techno/disco song with unusual chord structure. Loved it!

Turkey should have never got as far as that.
"Shake it up, shake it in..." WTF does that mean anyways?? Stupid song.

U.K. got next to last with that horrible crap.
I thought i was watching a British Airways advertisement for a moment!

Well. Thats it till next year.
Sure do like this thing and i dont care what anyone thinks about that.

Cheers!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan