my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Trivium, part two

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trivium, part two
Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted April 25, 2007 19:38     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just back from seeing Trivium and Annihilator. While I'm sipping my bedtime camomile I thought I could update you guys; after all I subjected you to that thread a couple of months ago, so I might as well finish the job.

Support band Annihilator chugged along for around 40 mins before Trivium, with OK music but dreadful vocals - the guy's voice isn't up to much and his actual singing is boring, IMHO. However, I didn't mind some of the songs.

In the time elapsed between the beginning of Trivium's intro to the moment the band actually got on stage, the younger members of the audience had grown grey hair and the less young ones had died of sheer old age. For those who survived the ordeal, the actual show that followed was excellent. The band sounds a lot heavier live than on CD, which seems to be the norm in metal, I find.

I'm deeply impressed at the musicianship of those guys, especially as they're so young - they are a lot better than quite a few older bands I've seen play live in my time (I won't name names, for once). I kept thinking that, at their age, I was a bookworm holed up somewhere around the University of London, while they travel the world and play in near-sold-out venues like tonight's.

I was sitting next to a couple young enough to be my children, who looked at me, saw that I didn't jump around or scream while the band was on, and probably thought, oh god, not another fucking journalist. But no, I'm not a hack, I'm simply older than 19 and a half years of age and I don't do those antics any more...

Trivium comprises The Fat Guitarist, The Thin Guitarist, The Thin Bassist and The Muscular Drummer. The Thin Guitarist doubles as frontman, and belongs to the Pre-Rehab James Hetfield School of Thought which compels its disciples to use the word "fuck" or "fucking" every other word, and say "fuck you" to the audience. You've still got some way to go, mate, 'cos you didn't call us "motherfuckers" tonight. Back to school.

Minor gripes aside, I liked the show. It was powerful, and the guys know how to move around the stage and how to interact with the audience, and they seem thoroughy professional; and we're talking about 21-year olds from Florida, not the likes of Iron Maiden or Metallica. I also liked most of the songs they played, although the sound quality wasn't too good. That wasn't due to a problem with the mixing desk or anything of the kind, just to the fact that the Apollo is a big-but-not-huge indoor venue and the volume was simply too high, causing a lot of reverberation and muddling the sound. I'm going to check out their CDs to listen to the songs properly.

There were several people crowd-surfing, and the audience kept throwing rubber wristbands and woollen beanies on the stage. Wristbands? Beanies!!?? I mean, I know that Trivium isn't Van Halen circa 1984, but perhaps I should have brought and thrown some of my lacy knickers to raise the tone a bit. Or is throwing beanies the latest fashion in metal and I'm just too old and hopelessly uncool to get it?

Enough of this. Time to go to bed. Good night.

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted April 26, 2007 03:20     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice review, thanks. I am glad James did quit all the fuck's. When i listen to Binge Shit and Purge by Metallica their full of those words. Now i don't hear them as much as back then. I like that. There is not always need for swearing...

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted April 26, 2007 04:43     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did you catch Gojira? I was gonna go just to see them, but couldn't make it.
Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted April 26, 2007 06:13     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:

I got there just in time for the beginning of Annihilator's set so I missed whatever happened before that.

I think the guys from Trivium will be at the London Guitar Show on Friday, not performing but at a stand. I'm going on Saturday so I probably won't have the opportunity to play the ageing fan and swoon all over them in person

However, it was nice, if perhaps somewhat staged, when the guys picked up an English flag and got the crew to take pictures of them with it.

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 26, 2007 07:04     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:

Oh hell HR! You missed the only good band there......I'm almost certain if you would have been able to catch them you'd forgotten all about your little Trivium BoyToys.....

Damn fine review though...you should get a job at Terrorizer.

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted April 26, 2007 07:48     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:

Oh hell HR! You missed the only good band there......I'm almost certain if you would have been able to catch them you'd forgotten all about your little Trivium BoyToys.....

Damn fine review though...you should get a job at Terrorizer.

Thanks Mez! But "real" reviews usually focus less on personal impressions and more on hard facts, or at least they should.

The problem with opening bands is that they're forced to go on stage at silly times, in order for the headliners to finish just after 11 pm. If you've got a job, a life or even both, it's not easy to be there when the doors open. I'll check them out next time.

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 26, 2007 09:23     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellrider:
While I'm sipping my bedtime camomile...

Now that's not very metal...

Good review nonetheless!

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted April 26, 2007 10:27     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:
Now that's not very metal...

I know Mal, I'm teetotal and I don't smoke either... but I'm not a write-off as far as fun is concerned, I swear

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted April 26, 2007 11:36     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You gotta love the concert reviews posted at VVF. Thanks for sharing the experience, Hellrider!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 27, 2007 07:00     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Excellent review of the show, I felt like I was there. I'm with ya on the no longer drinking... I'm too old and have too many responsibilities to do all the crazy shit from my younger days. Never been a 'nicotine' addict, and it's been a long long time since I partaked in smoking anything worthwhile!!!!

Now I'm bummed... off to work... blah!!!!

--------------------

yawn

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted April 27, 2007 11:16     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Schroed - and thanks everybody who liked my jokey review.

I hope you can check VVF while at work, Schroed - it should definitely be allowed, as it can stop you falling asleep at your desk and increase your productivity

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 27, 2007 18:03     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the closest thing i have to a computer at Ocean Gallery is a solar calculator!!!!! We are so far behind the times

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan