my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Flotsam & Jetsam bass - yow!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flotsam & Jetsam bass - yow!
ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted April 23, 2007 18:50     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember old-skool MTV Headbanger's Ball, with some band singing about Lizzie Borden taking an axe and giving her mother 50 whacks. Excessive alcohol consumption caused me to forget who the band was, or who was in it. This was in 1985-ish, or so.

Turns out that band was Flotsam & Jetsam. I finally found this out about 15 years later, filed it away for future reference, and that was it.

Last week I found Flotsam & Jetsam "Doomsday for the Deceiver" for cheep, bought it, and decided to give it a spin.

Whoa. The bass on that thing is f'ing killer. Specifically the song "Metalshock", which I've never heard before, has this bass break in the middle that's exceedingly shredworthy.

And _that_ was Jasonic, I've now discovered. Holy smoke.

I think that not only did they haze J. relentlessly in Metallica, but the experience severely damaged his bass-playing. Only now is he getting his mojo back, as "Katorz" illustrates. Good as that is, it's only a dim and pale echo of what he's capable of.

The entire album, and specifically "Metalshock", is seriously some of the best bass playing I've heard in a helluva long time. Whatever your opinion of Jasonic in Voivod, Metallica, or being a sell-out on that idiotic "Rock Star" TV show, this guy can (could) freakin' play.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 23, 2007 19:13     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WOW, better late than never to discover that!!!

I've always considered Jason a bass-god and a damn good songwritter ever since I first heard Doomsday way back in '87. The follow up "No Place For Disgrace" has some cool tunes on it also that Jason penned. From the second I heard Metallica was seeking to fill Cliff's shoes, I immediatley though Jason was the right guy. Too damn bad they stiffed his creativity so much. Other than being able to shine on cover tunes in the Garage Days recording (Budgie songs come to mind right away) Newsted went from the guy who did everything to the guy who took orders. I kept hoping that James and Lars would give him more freedom but that never seemed to happen. It's no wonder he looked elsewhere to release his reative juices, and that led to his separation within Metallica. They lost an incredibly talented player. Ironic thing is Metallica NOW writes songs by jamming together, something Newsted wanted to do many years ago with them.

I hated the Super Nova thing but liked how Jasonic promoted Voivod by wearing all the shirts (we had this discussion when the show was airing).

Flotsam has been a hit and miss band since Newsted went on to fame and fortune. Some cool songs and some clunkers appear on everything they have realeased since Doomsday. I've purchased most of there catalog (8 albums total in my collection, I think I might just be missing the last release. I saw them back in '87 with Newsted, when they opened for Megadeth. Some prick in the audiece stole one of Flotsams pedals and to make a long story short, after waiting hopelessly for the culprit to return it Mustaine put a death warrant out for the fucker and he eventually got beat to a pulp, once he was pointed out. With the pedal returned it was a thrash night to remember.

Newsted can now pick and choose what he does thanks to his Metallica money so I guess it all worked out in the end.

A still play the hell out of the Echobrain cd, and Doomsday gets a spin once in a while when I'm reliving the glory days.

--------------------

yawn

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted April 24, 2007 14:35     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I feel like a n00b for just discovering this gem. I'd love to hear some of that fast fretwork on the next 'vod album. The main reason I like "Nothingface" so much is the interplay between Piggy and Blacky...it's like they were connected at the brain-stem when recording that album, and I'd love it if on the new album they could zero in on the guitar/bass duo awesomeness.

> I hated the Super Nova thing but liked how Jasonic promoted Voivod by wearing all the shirts (we had this discussion when the show was airing).

Agree with you there. I'm not so annoyed with Jason's involvement in this as I am that Tommy Lee was the guy that got all the attention. Great drummer, etc., but I'm really tired of him. It's like "this clown is directly interfering with my Voivod enjoyment by recruiting Jasonic!" Delays, delays...I suppose everyone needs variety.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 25, 2007 06:54     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
took the first to Flotsam cds into work yesterday... damn they were killer. Lots of good material. I think I'll continue my jopurney through their catalog today... along with most of my Voivod cds, and Peeping Tom thrown in so I can get my groove on

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan