my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Two new Voivod albums...sort of.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Two new Voivod albums...sort of.
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 16, 2007 02:22     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was in a rotten mood yesterday, so I pulled out Negatron and Phobos. It was the first time I'd listened to Negatron in almost 10 years. About halfway though, it occurred to me how Voivod could easily get two more records out.

How great would those two records sound, re-released with Snake on vocals? His style is a perfect fit for those vocal melodies and phasing. It may sound like a goofy idea at first, but give 'em a listen again with this idea in mind. I, for one, would buy another copy of each.

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 16, 2007 03:19     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
I was in a rotten mood yesterday, so I pulled out Negatron and Phobos. It was the first time I'd listened to Negatron in almost 10 years. About halfway though, it occurred to me how Voivod could easily get two more records out.

How great would those two records sound, re-released with Snake on vocals? His style is a perfect fit for those vocal melodies and phasing. It may sound like a goofy idea at first, but give 'em a listen again with this idea in mind. I, for one, would buy another copy of each.

Sorry to say, but i totally disagree with you on this one. Eric's voices make those two records the way they are. The way Snake sings is no good for Negatron IMO(!). By the way i consider Eric-Era-Voivod-albums amongst the very best.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 16, 2007 05:35     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with both of you guys on this. I enjoy Erics vocals but would also be interested in hearing Snake do these songs. It would also be cool to because then it would give them a good reason to play them live again, since I don't think Snake has ever sang any of the Forrest era songs in concert... and there are a bunch of excellent tracks recorded during that time.

--------------------

yawn

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 16, 2007 06:14     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think that Snake would be too proud to sing those songs, for they were written when he was not in Voivod. But to see them live again, mmmmhhhhh. wouldn't that be nice. Last night i met this guitarist that would fit in easily. But he is in Sepultura right now. Paulo had a Voivod-tee on...

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted March 16, 2007 07:55     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know, I still haven't heard "Negatron". I'm a bad Voivodfan, bad, bad Voivodfan.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 16, 2007 08:26     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hell Yeah ! Snake could sing that.

But i agree with paul in a sense bcoz Snake did not write the words and may feel them differently.
Although it would be interesting to see/hear where Snake would put his emphasis singing the lyrics.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted March 16, 2007 08:30     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Uhm, no on that Snake vocal idear.

And, uhm, funny-haha to Mal's pictograph.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 16, 2007 08:55     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:
You know, I still haven't heard "Negatron". I'm a bad Voivodfan, bad, bad Voivodfan.

No Mal, you're a lucky, lucky Voivodfan because the rest of us have one less new Voivod sound trip left to discover!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted March 16, 2007 10:35     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A lot of those two albums' brutality was due to Eric's vocals. Nuff said.

I wouldnt want 'em any other way. With Snake, it just wouldnt fit (especially Negatron).

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted March 16, 2007 11:12     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Luna:
Uhm, no on that Snake vocal idear.

And, uhm, funny-haha to Mal's pictograph.

Haha, you like that, baby, huh?

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted March 16, 2007 12:09     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:
Sorry to say, but i totally disagree with you on this one. Eric's voices make those two records the way they are. The way Snake sings is no good for Negatron IMO(!). By the way i consider Eric-Era-Voivod-albums amongst the very best.

I'm with Paul on this one too.

--------------------

String em up

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 16, 2007 22:02     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll also admit to never having heard Negatron. Hmmmm...so I guess its time to pick it up eh?
Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted March 17, 2007 00:51     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When I saw Voivod play in Seattle at a crappy Chinese Restaurant in 1995, I had not heard Negatron, and had no idea Snake had left. Shocked and dissapointed, I was.

So, I didn't give the "MKII" era much of a chance initially, but in the last year I have bought Negatron, Phobos, and Kronik, which I have finally come to enjoy and appreciate, and I hope the next DVOD will expand on that.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 17, 2007 04:11     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
A lot of those two albums' brutality was due to Eric's vocals.

I don't know. After a good listen, I'd say the heaviness is coming from Piggy and Away. Snake's quirky finesse is the contrast that made those classic records seem even heavier (The sweetest recipes always call for salt). I think it would sound much better than many of you think. Either way, it was just a thought.

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted March 17, 2007 15:13     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mind Running Slow:
When I saw Voivod play in Seattle at a crappy Chinese Restaurant in 1995, I had not heard Negatron, and had no idea Snake had left. Shocked and dissapointed, I was.

So, I didn't give the "MKII" era much of a chance initially, but in the last year I have bought Negatron, Phobos, and Kronik, which I have finally come to enjoy and appreciate, and I hope the next DVOD will expand on that.

well E-force once said in this forum that the next DVOD would probably feature the 2000/2001? unreleased album, IMO that will worth the entire DVD

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted March 17, 2007 19:33     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nunoPT:
well E-force once said in this forum that the next DVOD would probably feature the 2000/2001? unreleased album, IMO that will worth the entire DVD

Yeah, but like I had said before that doesn't help anybody who wants to listen to it on a CD player, unless the DVD is ripped illegally!

Personally, I love Phobos and it totally rules over Negatron...I just wish the drum mix was better! I wouldn't mess with a classic either, so I say "nay" to the idea of the Snake vox remix.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted March 17, 2007 19:47     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess I listened to Negatron a couple of times....Phobos too. I saw them in Berkeley on the Negatron(?) tour with Eric and it was a cool show, but just didn't get into the records themselves.
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted March 18, 2007 02:28     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hypergrrl:
I saw them in Berkeley.

What??? Are you some sort of a hippie then?

--------------------

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 18, 2007 11:59     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Berkeley rules !

<--

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 18, 2007 18:57     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How ANYONE who is a Voivod fan hasn't heard Negatron (let alone ANY other albums) yet is beyond me.

The shit's been out 10+ years people

Now to add my opine about the vocals: I like those 2 albums the way they are, I don't think Snake would fit in there. BUT I am interested in how it would sound...

--------------------

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 19, 2007 00:14     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you haven't yet heard Negatron...wait for the new one with Snake! Just kidding. You should probably pick it up. Phobos though? There's no reason you shouldn't have that one. It's a real good record, even without Snake.
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted March 19, 2007 14:06     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mind Running Slow:
When I saw Voivod play in Seattle at a crappy Chinese Restaurant in 1995

This almost sounds like a joke!

Oh, and yeah, Phobos is a masterpiece!

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted March 19, 2007 14:22     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Agreed! The only way it could be improved upon in my opinion would be to remove M-Body from it.

--------------------

String em up

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted March 19, 2007 16:51     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
This almost sounds like a joke!

No joke, I was there as well...

Infact, they didn't even headline! It was Neurosis.

*Btw, Right-Guard could've made a killing there if only all of those "krusty" fuckers would use it! Take a fricken shower every once in awhile!!! No joke there either!

--------------------

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted March 20, 2007 00:22     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yah
I was at that Berkeley show, if it was the one at Berkeley Square

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan