my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » How the hell do you Canadians manage?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How the hell do you Canadians manage?
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted February 09, 2007 09:23     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Drove to work this morning - yesterdays snow that gave me a day off but a distant, melting memory. 10am, it starts snowing again.

I left at 10.30am for home (normally 90 minutes drive) and it took me 3 and a half hours of hardcore angry, skidding, 5 or 20mph, expert (by now) snow-rallying to do it. Serious mountain snow! In fact, I left it wherever it finally skidded to a halt and treked the last mile on foot.

In Britain we get this two days a year and the whole bleedin' country grinds to a halt. How does this compare to those VVF's in Canada and Scandinavia?

Don't tell me Canadian drivers are just better. (you know who I'm talking about)

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

|  IP: Logged
Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted February 09, 2007 10:05     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Emlyn, Hex,

London ground to a halt for slightly more than ONE INCH of snow for the second time in a month. The underground system gave up the ghost first, and hell, it's supposed to be under ground... *sigh*

I read somewhere that, Britain being a relatively warm country with only a few days of severe weather each year, it's more economically efficient to let the country grind to a halt for those few days than to get systems/structures in place to deal with severe weather - which wouldn't be required for most of the year. Global warming, you see...

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

Seb YB1
VoivodFan
Member # 129

posted February 09, 2007 12:06     Profile for Seb YB1   Email Seb YB1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Live to die, eye to eye
Raise the chase, face to face
The dirty desperado goes black
At freezing point
Hail stones fall and fall again
Armed...Cold weapons in hand
Charged...Mangled corps on the land
Prisoners of ice wheeze in a sultry weather
This is the fate of the frozen agessors...

Curdled by frost
Too young to rust
Fight...Be wild
Warriors of ice
The hell fighters
Warriors of ice...

enough said !

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted February 09, 2007 16:33     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i'm moving to australia. fuck l'hiver and the horse it rode in on.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 10, 2007 11:40     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...and i'm NOT looking forward to the Gaz Metro bill for this month.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted February 10, 2007 15:47     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No shit, I'm sure my next gas bill will be massive. It's bee -30 to -40 for the last 3 weeks. No exaggeration either.
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted February 10, 2007 16:30     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A nice fresh evening today. -17 and only 10 cm of snow

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted February 11, 2007 04:17     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well...There once was a t.v. series called "Little House on the Prairie", it sounds as though "Big House on the Tundra" is far more fitting!

Before I moved to Bremerton (an hour outside of Seattle) back in '83, I was born and raised in Fargo, North Dakota until the ripe old age of 14...so "Yes", I definitely know about blizzards, snow drifts, and white-out conditions!!!

Thank goodness I'm soaking in the rain now!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted February 11, 2007 15:38     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow guys, and here I was thinking I had it bad because we rent a real old house that doesn't have very good insulation and it easily gets down to 40F if you don't have the heat on. We have bypassed turning the gas heat on and just use these little ceramic heaters you plug in, much more conventional if you are mainly in one room. But the rest of the house you have to have 2 jackets on to go into LOL.

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 12, 2007 09:22     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
How the hell do you Canadians manage?

A few things:
- Winter tires.
- Road management.
- We're used to it.
- BLOWERS!!!!

"Runs like a blower, eats like a grindaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!"

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 12, 2007 11:26     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NOW THAT'S AN AWESOME SNOW REMOVAL TRUCK.

Gotta admit I don't miss the white flakes one bit, or the traffic and stupid drivers that go with it, Ever since moving to the Eastern Shore of Delaware and Maryland, 13 years ago, I think I've only faced one of two horrible winter storms. Might get some flakes and rain tonite and tomorrow but it shouldn't be a big deal. We get humidity and some bad ass noreastern storms but overall, it's damn good.

Now, don't all of you freaks uproot and move here... I need to keep my property values high

--------------------

yawn

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted February 12, 2007 14:35     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ha! We may be pretty risible on the snow front, but you can't beat the British rain - or London's property prices for that matter. Wanna swap homes for a while?

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted February 12, 2007 16:41     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackCloud:

I was born and raised in Fargo, North Dakota

Cool! I'm only like 3 hours away. We drive down to Fargo and Grand Forks quite often in the summer to do some shopping.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 13, 2007 08:13     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackCloud:
I was born and raised in Fargo, North Dakota

Yah!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan