my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » "Too many" guitars

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Too many" guitars
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 26, 2007 16:13     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Honestly, I thought I had more than this:

One last look at my big ugly guitar/bass/banjo collection before it gets split up for storage/selling/giving away/burning.

Keeping the Ibanez for hours of shredding fun, and the PRS 'cause its so damn pretty.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

|  IP: Logged
Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 26, 2007 17:40     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bloody hell, that's some collection! You're not keeping the flying V? How are you going to do a good impression of ol' Dave Mustaine without it?

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 26, 2007 18:17     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
By getting rid of all my friends and filling my arm with lovely heroin?

--------------------

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 26, 2007 18:19     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i feel honoured to have spent time in the presence of those guitars.
Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 26, 2007 18:20     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
By getting rid of all my friends and filling my arm with lovely heroin?

Nah, I'm sure that with a guitar you can do better than that.

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 26, 2007 18:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice to know I'm not the only one with a buying problem

--------------------

yawn

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted January 26, 2007 18:30     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I pretty much quit playing guitar a while back after 22 years of frustration. I still have an acoustic, but I don't actively practice anymore. It sure is great having money in the bank instead of all tied up in guitar crap.
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 27, 2007 02:08     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice! PRS are excellent guitars, and not cheap either as you might already know!! Is the V a Gibson, couldn't see the headstock?

Didn't know you played a banjo? Are you into rock-a-billy as well?

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 27, 2007 04:01     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anthony:
It sure is great having money in the bank instead of all tied up in guitar crap.

I was going to say 'ah but you don't get laid with..' but at 32 it doesn't work that way round anymore. Still, the boy in me would far rather count guitars than money.

I made the V. Tune it to C# and it sounds hella evil, but not anywhere near as evil as the banjo. That thing is just fuckin' sick!

The smaller banjo is a 1907 "Zither-Banjo", the jazz guitar is a '57 Hofner. The PRS is a cheap Korean one, the Ibanez is an expensive Korean one. The green one was an unplayably warped Hamer that I made into a playable fretless.

Today, most of it gets packed in bubblewrap and binbags to go into storage until I get settled in a new place. The jazz guitar and the red Twang guitar are staying with ex-wife; the 12-string and 335 are going to new homes, the Ibanez and PRS are to be kept out so I can maintain and develop my increasingly socially-redundant shredding skills, And one (or both) of the Spanish guitars is to be set alight in some sort of clensing ritual.

quote:
Originally posted by Schroeder:
Nice to know I'm not the only one with a buying problem

Schroeder, please! I've only actually bought six of these - the others I've aquired via 'other means'. It's time you posted an updated photo of your record collection.

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:
i feel honoured to have spent time in the presence of those guitars

The thread header is a quote. Yours!

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 27, 2007 04:09     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Honestly, I thought I had more than this:

One last look at my big ugly guitar/bass/banjo collection before it gets split up for storage/selling/giving away/burning.

Keeping the Ibanez for hours of shredding fun, and the PRS 'cause its so damn pretty.

Show off!

--------------------

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 27, 2007 05:26     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I was going to say 'ah but you don't get laid with..' but at 32 it doesn't work that way round anymore.

Perhaps it doesn't work anymore in an "oh he's so damn cool" kind of way - that happens when you're in your teens! However, you'll find that it does work with grown-up people who appreciate music/play an instrument - it gives them that "being on the same wavelength" feeling.

I know what I'm talking about - I tend to get bored very soon when I date someone who's not musical.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 27, 2007 19:16     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Schroeder, please! I've only actually bought six of these - the others I've aquired via 'other means'. It's time you posted an updated photo of your record collection.

I've only actually purchased 6 of the however many fuckin cds I have now, the rest were aquired via "other means"
Just joking. Yes, I spend WAY to much money on music and collectables, and I WILL post a topic that has pics of my studio with the 5 towers that hold 1060 cds and the closet that I converted into a collectors display room. Then I'll ask you for your shrinks phone number

--------------------

yawn

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 28, 2007 02:46     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I made the V. Tune it to C# and it sounds hella evil, but not anywhere near as evil as the banjo. That thing is just fuckin' sick!

The smaller banjo is a 1907 "Zither-Banjo", the jazz guitar is a '57 Hofner. The PRS is a cheap Korean one, the Ibanez is an expensive Korean one. The green one was an unplayably warped Hamer that I made into a playable fretless.

You simply fucking rule!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 28, 2007 15:22     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I gotta get me one-a those zither-deals...

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted January 29, 2007 10:24     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've got a small collection of SHITE guitars that sound terrible.

The warlock I got from Ebay looks the part, but the open strings and the first few frets buzz like bastards.

I need to fix that shit, any advice about pissing around with a truss rod?? Or should I take it to a music shop where someone knows what they are doing!

And theres no whammy bar on it. So half way through a solo, I'll sometimes flap my pick hand uselessy in mid air for no reason out of habit.

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 29, 2007 10:42     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From the location of the buzzing I'd say you could try putting on a new, higher nut - new pre-cut ones only cost a couple of quid. Get one thats way too high and then shave it down.

If the buzzing was around the 7th fret then you'd piss about with a truss rod.

The bad news about BC Rich guitars is that unless you buy an NJ or USA, they are utter shit.

You're Hohner is very nice though! Wanted one of them when I was a nipper.

--------------------

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted January 29, 2007 12:32     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fuck, I'm jealous!

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted January 30, 2007 06:20     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
From the location of the buzzing I'd say you could try putting on a new, higher nut - new pre-cut ones only cost a couple of quid. Get one thats way too high and then shave it down.

If the buzzing was around the 7th fret then you'd piss about with a truss rod.

The bad news about BC Rich guitars is that unless you buy an NJ or USA, they are utter shit.

You're Hohner is very nice though! Wanted one of them when I was a nipper.

I'll have a look into that then - cheers fella.

The hohner aint bad actually. I got one when I was a nipper! (14)

And still play it!

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan