my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Iron Maiden Show in Stockholm (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Show in Stockholm
Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 24, 2007 06:33     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
How can they ONLY play the new album and nothing else? Have they cut their set back to 73 minutes (or however long the new album is). I'm a bit confussed by this statement since just playing songs from the newest released wouldn't fill enough time for a concert they headline.

I'm with you on that - I've often wondered the same too. Anyone actually been at a Maiden show very recently?

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 24, 2007 17:31     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonutz:

Can't say anything about the lyrics, cuz I don't care, but great songs??? You must be kidding aren't you? Even Brave New World was better - at least it had that "Bruce's back" sense of fresh air to it. I couldn't listen to it without skipping - it just goes chug-chug-chug on the same chord all the time (or using a beaten-to-death chord progression) with Bruce wailing his way around it. Boring is not the best word for it - it's drowsy.

OK Dave, just for the sake of having trust in your taste - I have it in my car now and I'll give it another listen, trying not to skip. But if I fall asleep behind the wheel, it's gonna be your fault.

I thought BNW was a nice return to the good ole days and I was thrilled to have Bruce back, but to me AMOLAD is more solid and well written. Maybe I need to listen to BNW again, but from what I recall from last spin, there were a couple tracks that didn't rock my world.... but I'll blast out tonight when I work out.

STAY AWAKE, i don't need another death on my conscious.

--------------------

yawn

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 24, 2007 19:53     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i love the new Maiden album. best one since Somewhere in Time, IMHO.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 25, 2007 06:37     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But how do you REALLY feel about the album Hex?

Well, sorry to hear you wasted 70+ minutes of your life torturing yourself thru the sounds of the new album.

My medical advice: take 2 Number of the Beasts and text me in the morning.

Hope you have a speedy recovery, get well soon.

--------------------

yawn

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 25, 2007 07:42     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonutz:
So. It's shamelessly stretched. It's pathetic. Did I mention it's boring? Rehashes to death each and every Maiden cliche that exists.

Agreed. In fact, I think that holds true for many of the more recent offerings by Maiden. But, as I said before, most of their fans don't seem to mind.

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted January 25, 2007 09:29     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think AMOLAD is a fantastic album. Better than DOD, but I like BNW a bit better, probably more for the fact that Br00ce was finally back and we could forget about the misery that was the Blaze-era.
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 25, 2007 14:48     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm in agreement with Jannick being a posing fool.

Let me elaborate: On paper, three guitarists "live" for Maiden would be a great idea since they utilize harmony guitars a lot with the melody anyway. One guitarist could play the rhythm with Steve, one guitarist plays the melody, and last one the harmony...just like on the studio albums. It would even be killer for songs like "The Duellists", where in the melody section there is a two-part harmony near the end of it...unfortunately, all I've ever heard with this line-up "live" is two guitarists doing the melody, and one doing the harmony...what sense is that? Might as well just have two guitarists in the first place. Oh, and I almost forgot.."one" guitarist (Gers) fucking the whole song up!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted January 25, 2007 17:03     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree that Gers is a tool what with his ghey dancing and posing live, but he's a pretty good songwriter, especially when paired up with Br00ce. His leads are pretty much crap most of the time though. For the most part they're just a bunch of bit strung together to fill a void, with no real direction and they don't add anyting to the song as a whole.
The 3 guitars thing does look great on paper. I'm actually doing it right now with my main Metal project - left, right and centre guitars, mostly playing different things, with centre being more of a rhythm guitar.
The thing with Maiden is that they don't utilize it right. Adrian plays most of the old stuff in drop D now, so it adds a bit more depth to it, but they could do so much more with it.
There was a big issue on the old Maiden BB with Jannick bashers vs Jannick lovers paired up with blind fanboys. Caused alot of shit that's for sure.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 25, 2007 17:37     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They certainly can't compare to the CALIFORNIA GUITAR TRIO but they are in a different catagory all together. I think it's cool they kept Gers when Adrian came back (whereas most bands wouldn't hesitate to kick someone out when an original member returns because they think that's what the fans want "the classick lineup"), because of the friendship thing and the fact he was a contributing writter, and I was thrilled to have Smith back in the fold because I think he adds a lot to the musicianship of the band, and added a lot when he joined up with Dickinson on his solo album... just don't let Adrian release another ASAP solo album . Jannick can add some interesting parts to songs but why can he just play his guitar and not look stupid when he's on stage. Watching the concert dvds just makes me laugh when they show him perform. The should have an option on the dvd that edits him out of the stage . And why hasn't anyone in the band told him how stupid he is doing all that shit?

Hex, you say the new cd is full of Maiden cliches... but isn't that what makes Maiden, Maiden? The galloping riffs, the egyptian vibe, the epic stories, etc... It's like saying Slayer's new album has all the Slayer cliches... the heavy sound, the stanic cult lyrics, the god-like drumming, etc... That's what makes Slayer, Slayer.

Listened to BNW on my way into work, and I like it as much as AMOLAD... just good the ole Maiden sound. I've enjoyed Dance Of Death a lot more recently after revisiting it and trying not to look at the artwork . I realized there were a bunch of really good songs on it after watching the Death On The Road dvd and listing to the live cd.

--------------------

yawn

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted January 26, 2007 11:04     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackCloud:
Let me elaborate: On paper, three guitarists "live" for Maiden would be a great idea since they utilize harmony guitars a lot with the melody anyway. One guitarist could play the rhythm with Steve, one guitarist plays the melody, and last one the harmony...just like on the studio albums. It would even be killer for songs like "The Duellists", where in the melody section there is a two-part harmony near the end of it...unfortunately, all I've ever heard with this line-up "live" is two guitarists doing the melody, and one doing the harmony...what sense is that? Might as well just have two guitarists in the first place. Oh, and I almost forgot.."one" guitarist (Gers) fucking the whole song up!

agreed! i thought they would explore harmonies more with 3 geetarist, but they still have 2 part hormonies with a rythm underneath. Yes, Gers does fuck up Smith's solos! I ranted over at their old forum about how much he sucked and should go, nobody listened!

anyhoo, i dig the new disk. it's Maiden. we're never gonna here anything different from them nor from AC\DC! Same chord progressions and same 3 chords! Would like to see them live, but they'll never tour the states extensively again unless they write Run TO The Hills Pt. II. Must go out and get Killers again, I lost that disk!
up the walking sticks!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 26, 2007 18:37     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hex, you're a tough cookie to crack!!! I do see your points and respect your opinion. I agree with some of your points but still like the new cd, and I can respect your desire to hate it with a passion
To each his own, right?
Maybe because I'm no expert guitarist, I usually let the singer and lyrics be the first thing that helps me form an opinion on music. If I can't get into the vocals it doesn't matter how great the music is, I just won't be able to enjoy the song.

--------------------

yawn

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 27, 2007 02:04     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zlugz:
Must go out and get Killers again, I lost that disk!

Shame on you!!

Killers is probably my favorite disc...a lot of "killer" guitars going on with that one! (sorry no pun intended! ha!)

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 27, 2007 19:20     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was loading my Maiden cds into my Ipod the other week and found the 2nd disc in my rare "Number Of The Beast" Castle lable picture disc collection was broken I remembered that last time I tried to take it off the jewel case hub it was on so tight that it cracked. This is gonna be a tough on the find. Of course I have other versions of #OTB but the Castle one was very cool and very limited.

--------------------

yawn

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 30, 2007 17:25     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ha!! I, together with those of you who thought that playing the whole new album and no classics was, well a bit silly, can feel vindicated.

From Blabbermouth:

quote:
IRON MAIDEN To Perform 'More Classic Favorites' At U.K.'s DOWNLOAD Festival - Jan. 30, 2007

Following the official announcement this evening on BBC Radio 1's Zane Lowe show, IRON MAIDEN has confirmed it will be once again headlining this year's Download festival on Sunday, June 10, making this a record-breaking fourth headline appearance at the world-famous Donington Park (Leicestershire, England) venue.

The first time MAIDEN ever played at Donington was when they topped the bill in 1988, with KISS and GUNS N' ROSES among the supports, playing to over 100,000 people — the biggest Donington crowd by far and still the biggest metal show ever in the U.K. — returning again in 1992 and 2003.

Commented MAIDEN singer Bruce Dickinson: "Our fans know that Donington is a special place for MAIDEN and we are all looking forward to getting back there for a fourth time. The 'A Matter of Life and Death U.K. Tour' last December was very special for us and we very much appreciated the fans giving us such great support in us playing the whole album which, let's face it, was not necessarily the easiest thing to do for us or them! It was definitely the right challenge for us at that time but outdoors in the summer is different and as a 'thank-you' to our fans we will be including quite a few more 'classic' favorites balanced with some of the tracks from the new album. We will naturally bring Eddie and his toys along, so all in all it should be a great day for everybody!!"

Tickets will be going on sale tomorrow morning (Wednesday, January 31) at 9:00 a.m. and are available from the official web site for the festival or the credit card hotline 0870 400 0822.

Headline acts for the other two days are MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE on Friday, June 8 and LINKIN PARK on Saturday, June 9.

It's carefully worded, but if you read between the lines it basically means: we got booed Also, they are probably a bit wary of the Donington crowd.

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 31, 2007 08:55     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like "the X-Factor" better than any new Bruce album.

HOW IS THAT FOR AN UNPOPULAR MUSICAL OPINION, HUH? CAN YOU DO BETTER??

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 31, 2007 17:36     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:
I like "the X-Factor" better than any new Bruce album.

HOW IS THAT FOR AN UNPOPULAR MUSICAL OPINION, HUH? CAN YOU DO BETTER??

OH MY GOD!!!! What the hell is in the water you're drinking?

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 01, 2007 09:06     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
OH MY GOD!!!! What the hell is in the water you're drinking?

Water? What's that?

Ok, just googled it. It's that translucid liquid that looks like vodka.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted February 01, 2007 11:00     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
we still talking about Maiden? What's the X-Factor?
Donnington had a 'large' crowd of 100,000? Bah! I was at the US Festival in '83 for 'Heavey Metal Day', 350,000+ on that day! Sleeping in the weeds that night with about 10,000 mulleted teens around bon fires was da bomb!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted February 01, 2007 11:24     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:
[QB]Water? What's that?QB]

"Water? Like in the toilet?"

Anyway....I found this interesting site the other day while trying to find out when the next DVD is going to be released, hopefully with Live After Death and the guy who created had a list of "Other Great Bands" and guess who is on it? Haha, and check out the link in the disclaimer

http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/?url=otherbands&lang=eng&link=features

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 01, 2007 13:09     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hypergrrl:
the guy who created had a list of "Other Great Bands" and guess who is on it?

BLAZE! Great band.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted February 02, 2007 00:33     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
damn christians! they're everywhere! and they're all white! and they like maiden? and they hate Ravi Shankar? WTF! i am so confused, i need a P&J samwich.

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan