my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Frank Zappa

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Frank Zappa
anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted January 21, 2007 17:36     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay,
so I just got Hot Rats and love it. What's other Frank Zappa that is more jazzy/prog-jazz-funk-based and serious? I.e., I've heard some Frank Zappa that is just a little too 'wacky' for my extended listening purposes right now, with like barbershop singing, lots of jokes, etc. I'm looking for stuff that is more serious and jazz-prog-funk oriented, like Hot Rats is sort of like Mahavishnu Orchestra or something. Some music more just focused on neat musicianship than wackiness? Any recommendations?

I like how songs like Willie the Pimp showcase his amazing guitar playing--totally serious, no real jokes here...

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 21, 2007 19:25     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have about 10 Zappa cds and the Baby Snakes dvd in my collection. I'm not a huge fan and need to be in the right mood to listen to him but when I can open my mind wide enough Zappa is a fuckin trip.

I don't have this one but I'm assuming Jazz From Hell would be one that might fit your bill.

Tangento and other Zappa freaks on this forum will have a lot more input and knowledge. You can probably search through some old threads here for more Zappa info.

enjoy the strange ride that comes from getting into Frank.

it's a fine line between genius and insanity

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 21, 2007 21:32     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm going with Jazz from Hell too, for obvious reasons

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 22, 2007 10:03     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
anything, if you like Hot Rats, get The Grand Wazoo and Waka/Jawaka, which he recorded after Hot Rats, and are pretty much in the same vein. Actually, Waka/Jawaka is kind of a Hot Rats part 2. You should also hear the 73/74 band, they had wacky songs, but were also incredible funk/jazz musicians. Great albums from this line-up:
One Size Fits All
You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, vol. 2
Roxy & Elsewhere

:^{=

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 22, 2007 14:13     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mal hit the nail on the head. These were the best years of his composing career. I'd also get Piquantique...live in Stockholm '73. This is my all time favorite record next to VV's Nothingface.
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted January 22, 2007 15:45     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I pretty much echo what Mal said.

You might check 'Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar' too. And 'Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch' (be it just for the title track).

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 22, 2007 15:55     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
And 'Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch' (be it just for the title track).

...and "Teenage Prostitute".

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted January 22, 2007 16:09     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And 'Envelopes'. Actually just the complete 'B-side'. The 'A-side', however, gets a bit silly at points.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 22, 2007 19:21     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ship Arriving Too Late is one I keep meaning to pick up. It's been a long time since VALLEY GIRLS annoyed me and I know the rest of it is a masterpiece.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 23, 2007 21:48     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Catholic Girls!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 23, 2007 22:17     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, great thread. Much of what I would have recommended has already been. It was great to see side B of 'Ship Arriving...' properly praised. (song by song even!) I must add that 'Jazz From Hell' is almost entirely composed & performed on the Synclavier, and may not be for all tastes.

That said, 'Night School' and 'G-Spot Tornado' are among his coolest
compositions. In my opinon, (and in a similar vein) his darkest and possibly most satisfying experiMENTAL piece is the ambient track 'Dio Fa' from 'Civilization Phaze III'.

Let's see, what else... yeah, as stated, fans of Hot Rats would logically follow with Waka Jawaka, Grand Wazoo and possibly Lumpy Gravy. I also highly recommend 'One Size Fits All', which is widely regarded as his most well-rounded, generally accessible disc. Inca fucking ROADS man!

And whatever you do, do NOT miss Dweezil's 'Zappa Plays Zappa' tour if it hits your town. I saw it twice, (once way out in Chicago) and have concluded that it was one the greatest musical performances I've seen to date. I believe there will be a DVD on the way soon.

I may have to come back for a part 2 post, I'm really f-ing tired over here. Have fun dude!

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 23, 2007 22:56     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been waiting to hear your expert advice Tang

I'll definitley pick up the Zappa Plays Zappa dvd when it comes out. I have heard and read only great things about this tour, and I love the whole concept of Dweezil covering his dad's masterpieces. I read a great article with Dweezil many months ago about this tour and how hard it was for him to figure out Franks playing, and he had to totally change his approach to the guitar to get the job done.

Think I'll grab a couple Zappa cds for work tomorrow. My coworker will either be speechless or she'll put on her portable cd player and headphones and listen to her Romanian music... we'll see

--------------------

yawn

chaosmongirll
VoivodFan
Member # 489

posted January 24, 2007 20:24     Profile for chaosmongirll   Email chaosmongirll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, I might just be in the aforementioned DVD! (well just in crowd shots..but hey!) I was lucky enough that they came through my Oregon on Frank's birthday...if not for that fact, I'm sure they would have picked a more interesting place to film! But regardless! I'm with Tange, Zappa Plays Zappa completely blew my mind! Especially considering that I was about 6 feet from Terry Bozzio (when he was on stage at least) and they played the black page twice! (among other things...I guess Dweezil didn't want any mess-ups on the DVD...as if there were any mess-ups )
L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted January 25, 2007 00:33     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey man!!!

Zappa is my favorite musician from all times, and I have near a 100 cd's and Lp's of zappa. But the album Burnt Weeny Sandwich is as strong as Hot Rats.

Other albums that I think that they are as strange and good as Burnt Weeny Sandwich are;
Deep Purple : Concerto for Group and Orchestra
Yes : Time and a Word

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan