my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Guilty (musical) pleasures (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 

Author Topic: Guilty (musical) pleasures
code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted January 22, 2007 14:41     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Smiths, Manic Street Preachers, Coldplay, Blur, The Fray

--------------------

Tonight we celebrate!

|  IP: Logged
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 22, 2007 15:07     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Duran Duran still get a listen evey now & then.

Can't quite stomach stuff like Coldplay & The Police though, it sounds to me like horrible background shopping muzak for stalkers buying toilet paper in the 99p store.

--------------------

String em up

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 22, 2007 16:16     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Head Villain:
Can't quite stomach stuff like Coldplay & The Police though, it sounds to me like horrible background shopping muzak for stalkers buying toilet paper in the 99p store.

LOL! I agree about whiny, boring Coldplay, but The Police were new and original when they first appeared - only, it got old very quickly.

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 22, 2007 19:34     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can listen to Duran Duran but not the POlice ... BLASPHEMY!!!!

Well then I guess I need to add to my list:
Saga (used to play them a lot until a friend told be they sounded like Air Supply and now I can't get that image outta my head when I listen to them, so the 16 cds I have in my collection mostly just take up space until I play them once in a blue moon)

Kansas (big fan still)

April Wine (their early stuff rocks all the way up to Nature Of The Beast when they became radio junkies and tried to be like Journey and all the other FM rockers and balladeers)

Cheap Trick (they've had lots of killer tunes that never even got radio play... legends)

Kiss (what metal colleKtion would be complete with out a whole bunch of cheesey bubble gum metal from the masters of makeup)

Triumph (come on I really wouldn't consider them cheesey enough to be considered a guilty pleasure)

There's NO WAY I'd lump my love of BOC into a guilty pleasure... I've got everything they have released and aside from a few stinker album they are as important and influencial as Sabbath (who also released some shit albums)

--------------------

yawn

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted January 23, 2007 11:45     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Triumph was a good band and certainly nothing to be embarassed about...I love Fight the Good Fight and have them and April Wine on my iPod as well. Did you mean to say you wouldn't consider them cheesy??

And agreed Schro, BOC is a classic band.....but Saga....16 albums?!?

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 23, 2007 14:53     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hex, it was just a cliché, a figure of speech, OK?

Keep the thread going folks. I'm loving it!

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 23, 2007 14:57     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
You can listen to Duran Duran but not the POlice ... BLASPHEMY!!!!

Haha yeah, Duran Duran's music doesn't conjure up those mental images of toilet paper, stalkers & pound shops.

Although hearing Sting whining on about how his poo-hole aches always raises a chuckle.

--------------------

String em up

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 23, 2007 15:20     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Head Villain:
Although hearing Sting whining on about how his poo-hole aches always raises a chuckle.

Er... I missed that. On second thoughts, perhaps I don't want to know.

Now this thread is turning into a metal/rock/naff music version of Heat!

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 23, 2007 19:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Hypergrrl, I fixed my "wouldn't".
Yes I was really into SAGA when they first came out and when I saw Don't Be Late on MTV. It was back in my cheesey prog rock days. Funny how I thought something so unique and original and timeless back then is now something I have a hard time listening to. The were Canadian, like April Wine & Triumph, so that made me think they were cooler than most bands. Bryan Adams & Celine almost single handedly ruined the Canadians are Cool reputation for me, but VOIVOD & RUSH has enough clout to stiffle any of those thoughts.

See what becoming a metal has done to me

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 23, 2007 21:41     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Phew. Mez and Mal already posted and the site is still in order. I do still smell Hall & Oates somewhere, tho. But I hope I'm wrong!

My latest guilty pleasure has to be the new Christina Aguillera album. CD 2 is a fairly nice attempt at an old-school sound.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 24, 2007 08:41     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic:
Phew. Mez and Mal already posted and the site is still in order. I do still smell Hall & Oates somewhere, tho. But I hope I'm wrong!

My latest guilty pleasure has to be the new Christina Aguillera album. CD 2 is a fairly nice attempt at an old-school sound.

Let's not forget YOUR biggest guilty pleasure: Richard Marx bootlegs. Can't get enough, can't ya?

And that Christina comment is useless without pics.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan