my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Guilty (musical) pleasures (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: Guilty (musical) pleasures
Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted January 20, 2007 15:16     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
I have nothing to feel guilty about. Anyone who considers the bottom-right section of my CD collection 'uncool' is just an Indie-Nazi snob and can go fuck 'emselves.

Leo Sayer
Belle & Sebastian
Boston (in case someone gives me speed)
Eliza Carthy
Martin Taylor
Blur

Haha, Me luv BLUR , no nazis here!

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

|  IP: Logged
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted January 20, 2007 15:48     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't believe that any music you like should be considered a guilty pleasure - if it rocks your boat that's all that matters isn't it? We all like different stuff and you could quite conceiveably have a celine dion chat forum asking the same question and they may have all the rock/metal stuff down as their guilty pleasures. Let's face it if we all liked the same things it would be a very boring world! What I do find puzzling are those who say they only listen to one specific genre and all the others suck ass. In my opinion if you closet yourself within a single genre you are not approaching music with an open mind.

Music I like is very varied. My taste varies from classical right through most music genres to the most extreme music that exists within them. For example I love listening to Nat King Cole on occasion, but with a flip of a coin I could easily play pig destroyer straight after. The only thing I would say with certainty is that I find most modern commercial (chart) music nauseating to listen to. There is little, if any, creativity in the pop world these days.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 20, 2007 16:14     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I totally agree Knickerz - I suppose we can say that I mentioned guilty pleasures as an excuse to hear what music you guys listen to other than metal.

I also agree on the current situation with pop. But in 5 or 10 years' time, perhaps, we'll remember Britney and the X-Factor/Pop Idol winners the way we now remember Bananarama, and Madonna's early years. I know, it's scary...

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 20, 2007 16:34     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, we'll remember Britney for flashing her muff.

--------------------

String em up

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 20, 2007 16:42     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

We also remember Madonna for flashing that, and more - although she did it for a book, not for the paparazzi. Class lady.

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 20, 2007 17:30     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I used to hold back telling some metal head friends some of the other things I'd listen to. I really don't give a shit anymore if someone thinks what I listen to is gay or stupid.... fuck 'em, if I like it so what.

Knick, great post!!!

Its interesting to read peoples guilty pleasures, and I think Voivod fans are more open minded to listening to a variety different genres than most metal heads.

So, come on, who's going to admit to being clostet Creed or Limp Biscuit fans.

--------------------

yawn

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 20, 2007 17:57     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:

My ex had that horrible Chocolate Starfish CD, and also a Prodigy CD, in his collection. I almost felt like mentioning that to my solicitors.

--------------------

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 20, 2007 18:15     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Head Villain:
No, we'll remember Britney for flashing her muff.

Speaking about "muffs"...haha!! What was all of the hoopla anyway concerning that photograph? Actually my guilty pleasure would be wanting to see the picture...BTW, did she have hardwood or Carpet?

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 20, 2007 18:28     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I did a Google search & I can't find the pictures. This was the best I could do.

Anyone got a link to Britney's muff?

I once made the mistake of dating someone who liked Avril Latrine. It was an most unpleasant experience.

--------------------

String em up

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 20, 2007 23:29     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Haha!!

*imagining right now that being said over P.A. speakers!

Or how's 'bout the classic: "Anyone seen Mike Hunt?"

p.s. I did find that "infamous" set of pics...nothing to write home about that's for sure...oh, and judging from those very pics, it looks like she's got woodfloors with stubble!

--------------------

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 21, 2007 01:10     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackCloud:
Haha!!

*imagining right now that being said over P.A. speakers!

Or how's 'bout the classic: "Has anyone seen Mike Hunt?"

p.s. I did find that "infamous" set of pics...nothing to write home about that's for sure...oh, and judging from those very pics, it looks like she's got woodfloors with stubble!

--------------------

Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted January 21, 2007 02:56     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You people rule.

Well, I don't post much and you don't know me as a raging metal maniac, if ever interested, but...

help me !

I have to (finally) confess that I sometimes listen to The Cure, Depeche Mode, Kate Bush (197 , umh....Level 42, Patrice Rushen, Morrissey, Bossa Nova music...gosh.

Feel better now somehow.

--------------------

What the...?

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted January 21, 2007 05:08     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellrider:
I totally agree Knickerz - I suppose we can say that I mentioned guilty pleasures as an excuse to hear what music you guys listen to other than metal.

I also agree on the current situation with pop. But in 5 or 10 years' time, perhaps, we'll remember Britney and the X-Factor/Pop Idol winners the way we now remember Bananarama, and Madonna's early years. I know, it's scary...

Not so sure...A lot of 80's pop was gash but there was still a lot of creativity, especially from the likes of Gary Numan, Talking Heads, Yello, etc. I always detested Bananarama, if you ask me that's just about where it all started going horribly wrong. Stock Aitken and Waterman opened the floodgates with their pop factory and now we have Simon Cowell taking it one stage further with plop idol and x-crement factor. If you can't get a number one single with that level of exposure you really are fucked! Whatever happened to grafting and proving your talent?

--------------------

Hail Santa...

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted January 21, 2007 05:22     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I used to hold back telling some metal head friends some of the other things I'd listen to. I really don't give a shit anymore if someone thinks what I listen to is gay or stupid.... fuck 'em, if I like it so what.

Knick, great post!!!

Its interesting to read peoples guilty pleasures, and I think Voivod fans are more open minded to listening to a variety different genres than most metal heads.

Nope but I will freely admit to liking Prodigy, some Madonna, Manowar, old school rave, a fair bit of 70's disco and Tom Jones - what a voice! How about Acker Bilk - Stranger On The Shore? A truly beautiful piece of music. There is so much more but I'd be here all day!

I used to be the same and not divulge such 'guilty pleasures' but over time I realised I was only denying myself and my own indiviuality. The way I see it is if someone thinks I'm a wanker because of what I enjoy listening to then in reality that person is the wanker - thus why I find most black metal fans the most obnoxious and incredibly boring people on the planet.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 21, 2007 07:34     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon6:

I have to (finally) confess that I sometimes listen to The Cure, Depeche Mode, Kate Bush ..

Depeche Mode rule!
You seen this Kate Bush clip from Delia Smith's cookery course?

Kate Bush & Delia Smith

Bless 'er.

--------------------

String em up

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 21, 2007 07:38     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackCloud:

Or how's 'bout the classic: "Anyone seen Mike Hunt?"

Hahaha someone called Michael Hunt came into my workplace a few weeks back..
I didn't meet him but according to one of my colleagues, he lived up to his name.

--------------------

String em up

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted January 21, 2007 08:10     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No shame here when listening to Johnny Cash, Kate Bush, Serge Gainsbourg, Francoise Hardy, Hank Williams Sr., Les Sultans, Metallica, Bach, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Donna Summer, Bee Gees, New England, Kiss, KC and the Sunshine band, Sex Pistols, Dead boys, etc.

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted January 21, 2007 08:11     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnickerZohnonnof:
Prodigy.......Tom Jones - what a voice!

Right on! I don't feel so guilty anymore.

Once I heard Paul Young live at a radio broadcasted show and he was singing
Cupid a capella together with the backup-singers..... beautiful, ever since then I been trying to find this song on some vinyl or cd with no luck at all at least not the a capella version. I am still looking for it. I have many vinyls and Cd's by Paul Young just because of the voice he's got and that goes for Andrew Strong as well.

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 21, 2007 08:32     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's some items I forgot I had in my cd collection that I hadn't listened to in years... maybe I should have a day at work when I play only these albums... nah, I'd probably shove a screwdriver into my ears after the first 3 or 4 cds:

Miks and The Mechanics
Kate Bush
The Cars (actually played some of this last week and brought back a lot of memories)
Don Henley
Asia
Icehouse

James Blunt (which I listen to every now and then)

--------------------

yawn

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 21, 2007 08:38     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnickerZohnonnof:
Stock Aitken and Waterman opened the floodgates with their pop factory and now we have Simon Cowell taking it one stage further with plop idol and x-crement factor. If you can't get a number one single with that level of exposure you really are fucked! Whatever happened to grafting and proving your talent?

Stock Aitken and Waterman, and then Cowell, only took the "manufacturing" of pop bands to its extreme - but the practice had been there in various guises since the beginning.

"Grafting and proving your talent" - that almost never happens, either because there's no talent worth mentioning, or because the industry isn't interested in you showing it. What matters in pop is your potential for making a profit.

--------------------

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted January 21, 2007 12:15     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Stock Aitken and Waterman worked with Judas Priest
Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 21, 2007 12:26     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We were talking about *pop*, though, weren't we?

I don't think Lock, Stock And Waterboy could manipulate a band like Priest. Priest doesn't need a producer's bad influence to make mistakes - the guys can fuck up spectacularly of their own accord.
Incidentally, K.K. speaks the truth in that quote.

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 22, 2007 10:11     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

There you go, honey: BIG MUFF.

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mc Gregor:
Serge Gainsbourg

My idol and a musical genius!

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted January 22, 2007 10:22     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I barely listen to metal and really haven't since about 1994. Other than the old metal I listen to from time to time (Voivod, Coroner, Sabbath and a few others) I'm mostly interested in listening to Beatles, Cheap Trick, the Who, Shudder to Think, Kiss, U2, etc. All listened to with zero guilt.
bobina
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 982

posted January 22, 2007 14:34     Profile for bobina   Email bobina     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
boston, kansas, styx, foreigner, saga, april wine, triumph, blue oyster cult

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan