my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Guilty (musical) pleasures (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: Guilty (musical) pleasures
Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 19, 2007 15:29     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rock, metal, jazz and fusion tend to be intrinsically cool at least 90% of the time, but there is always some other kind of music you either like against your better judgement, or you consider to be cool while others don't.

I'm a sucker for the music of 70s disco and soul era, as long as there's a good bassline to enjoy. Chic, Earth Wind & Fire, Michael Jackson (when he was good), the Jackson 5, Sister Sledge, Narada Michael Walden, hell even the Bee Gees, make me tap my foot, snap my fingers and reach for my bass guitar.

I'm currently listening to Stomp by the Brothers Johnson, but I'm not good enough to play it.

Your turn folks... own up!

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

|  IP: Logged
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 19, 2007 16:11     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Techno.. banging techno & Goa trance.

--------------------

String em up

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted January 19, 2007 16:16     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK,
Bee Gees, ELO, Andrea Bocelli, yeah yeah I know cheesy huh, Bocelli's opera aria's (blushing)
and OASIS, The VERVE, blah blah blah

The worst guilty plesure must be MAARKOLIO, a swede-finnish guy,
Bought tickets for me and my yongest to see him live, he's funny as h*ll

Maarkoolio

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 19, 2007 16:49     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, & Kasabian.
But not Oasis though, heheh!

... it is only girls so far who will admit to such things.

--------------------

String em up

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 19, 2007 16:55     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...er, I'm not a fan of Oasis, but I thought they could still be classified under "rock" - therefore you don't need to be a girl to have the balls to own up to liking them.
(Although they are boring and unoriginal - sorry Annki! )

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

Zig
VoivodFan
Member # 972

posted January 19, 2007 17:27     Profile for Zig   Email Zig     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm with Head Villain on the banging techno and Goa trance! Also love some drum & bass, especially Pendulum!
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted January 19, 2007 17:47     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Besides Metal, I listen to lots of classic rock (for want of a better term), 50's and 60's rock (the oldies station 1290 am gets lots of play in the van), classical and punk rock. Real punk rock, not Green Day shite.

I'm not partial to any particular genre as far as guilty pleasures go, so here's some of my favorite songs that aren't Metal. Feel free to guffaw and snicker all you want, it is the internet after all and that kind of behaviour is encouraged.

Tommy Tutone - 8675309 Jenny
Men At Work - the Business As Usual album is brilliant
Sniff N The Tears - Drivers Seat (one of my all time favorite songs period)
Martha And The Muffins - Echo Beach (see above)
Ultravox - Dancing With Tears In My Eyes
Bananarama - Cruel Summer
Rick James - Superfreak (who DOESN'T like this song )
A-Ha - The Living Daylights (best Bond theme ever)

Some bands/singers I like for no other reason than I'm a complete loser

Streetheart
The Fixx
Ian Thomas
The Smiths
Duran Duran
The Police
U2 (only the first bunch of albums. the rest is shite)
Bryan Adams (see above)
Clannad
Enya (same as U2 and Mr Adams - her newer stuff blows. The Celtic shit rules)
Madonna

I like some late 80's early 90's dance music too like that Haddaway song, stuff by Snap and Soul II Soul, and some others. I have a bunch of mixed CDRs of my guilty pleasures, but I can't be arsed to type out tracklistings and shit. Anyone know how I can copy a playlist from Winamp or something like that into a text file? I have a friend I used to work with who wanted to know what was on these CDRs.

Now Playing - Morbid Angel Chapel Of Ghouls

aaahhh...that's better.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 19, 2007 18:05     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Head Villain:
Oh yeah, & Kasabian.

Kasabian? Kasabian?

Oh, this ends badly for you.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 19, 2007 18:44     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Ultravox - Dancing With Tears In My Eyes
Bananarama - Cruel Summer

Awww! 80s classics! Luv'em too!

[tries not to look at Emlyn's avatar, to avoid feeling the urge to grab her own tits to keep 'em still]

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 19, 2007 23:07     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
we did the guilty pleasure thread a long time ago here, but it's a goodie, and since there's a lot of new people here, it'll that much more fun to read to lame shit some of us metal heads get into.

I was informed that I was still cool for being a fan of the following artists, so I gues they aren't really guilty pleasures if they are acceptable :
Crowded House & Neil Finn & Split Enz
Thomas Dolby
Tori Amos
The Buggles

--------------------

yawn

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted January 20, 2007 04:15     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, i used to listen to Celine Dion a lot but now that is over! Now i listen to 70's and 80's when it is on the radio.

At work i close myself of from the shit that is played on the radio by playing my Ipod (Meshuggah very softly so i can hear my phone ringing)

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted January 20, 2007 05:04     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:

Some bands/singers I like for no other reason than I'm a complete loser

The Smiths
Duran Duran
The Police
U2 (only the first bunch of albums. the rest is shite)
Bryan Adams (see above)

Yeah, I'm with you on those, although I never thought I see a guy admitt listening to Bryan Adams, his theme to "Don Juan De Marco" is great.
Oasis might be unoriginal, that is why it they are a guilty pleaure.

I love Sparks too.

--------------------

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 20, 2007 09:07     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Right.

Celine Dion undeniably has a good voice (although I can't stand her songs).

Tori Amos once said that she started out in a hard rock band, but they went nowhere and she decided to get mellow and commercial. So that's a tenuous link with metal.

Duran Duran has its cool moments (and a lot of uncool ones too).

Bryan Adams - well, if I had a pound for each time I've heard Run To You covered (usually badly) by pub bands I'd be seriously rich.

I can't see anything toe-curling embarrassing in your confessions, folks. Even Kasabian is OK, after all!

This is one hell of a cool board.

--------------------

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted January 20, 2007 11:24     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
zlugz on a couple of occasions while listening to my iPod has commented, "You like some weird songs". I can only imagine he meant these....

She Blinded Me With Science - Thomas Dolby
Father Figure - George Michael
Heart & Soul - Huey Lewis
Cradle of Love - Billy Idol
Sunset Grill - Don Henley (I could listen to this over and over....and I have!)
Flirting With Disaster - Molly Hatchet
What I Am - Edie Brickell
One Thing Leads to Another - The Fixx
Ah! Leah! - Donnie Iris
Even In The Quietest Moments - Supertramp

Why, I'm not embarassed at all... ...but seriously, I'm not! Besides, it's mixed in with alot of Voivod and shit so it makes it alright...right?

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted January 20, 2007 12:33     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hypergrrl:
zlugz on a couple of occasions while listening to my iPod has commented, "You like some weird songs". I can only imagine he meant these....

She Blinded Me With Science - Thomas Dolby
Father Figure - George Michael
Heart & Soul - Huey Lewis
Cradle of Love - Billy Idol
Sunset Grill - Don Henley (I could listen to this over and over....and I have!)
Flirting With Disaster - Molly Hatchet
What I Am - Edie Brickell
One Thing Leads to Another - The Fixx
Ah! Leah! - Donnie Iris
Even In The Quietest Moments - Supertramp

Why, I'm not embarassed at all... ...but seriously, I'm not! Besides, it's mixed in with alot of Voivod and shit so it makes it alright...right?

I think that list is very ok. Supertramp, Billy Idol and Huey Lewis are Great.

--------------------

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 20, 2007 12:47     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trollz:
Supertramp

I always liked their song "School"...catchy piano melody in the middle.

I love the Lemonheads if that's considered a guilty pleasure???

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted January 20, 2007 12:58     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackCloud:
I always liked their song "School"...catchy piano melody in the middle.

I love the Lemonheads if that's considered a guilty pleasure???

there'a a song called "School"on the album "Crime Of The Century" .
Both Supertramp and Lemonheads are weird enough for a Voivod fan. Those are no guilty pleasure IMHO

--------------------

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted January 20, 2007 13:04     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And should you ever happen to come across one of these albums from Supertramp I can recommend them as highly listenable:

CRISIS? WHAT CRISIS?
EVEN IN THE QUIETEST MOMENTS
BREAKFAST IN AMERICA

You must have heard "Logical Song"

--------------------

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 20, 2007 13:20     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry for my complete ignorance, but WTF are "banging techno & Goa trance"??? I hear some pretty cacophonic dance rubbish when I'm at the gym - is it something similar?

Then again, when you've taken enough substances, legal or otherwise, anything can become awesome, I suppose

--------------------

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted January 20, 2007 13:31     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellrider:

Then again, when you've taken enough substances, legal or otherwise, anything can become awesome, I suppose

I think my old Vinyls and casette tapes are very legal. These were purchased before internet existed.

The new music I have might be illegaly d/l 'tho

--------------------

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 20, 2007 14:15     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Er... not quite following you there Annki - that's not what I was talking about.

--------------------

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted January 20, 2007 14:31     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellrider:
Er... not quite following you there Annki - that's not what I was talking about.

Haha, ehh sorry. Now I get what substances you 're talking about!

Me stupid!! Old and unexperienced.

--------------------

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 20, 2007 14:35     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have nothing to feel guilty about. Anyone who considers the bottom-right section of my CD collection 'uncool' is just an Indie-Nazi snob and can go fuck 'emselves.

Leo Sayer
Belle & Sebastian
Boston (in case someone gives me speed)
Eliza Carthy
Martin Taylor
Blur

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 20, 2007 14:37     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did somebody say Huey Lewis? Now that is bad.

I really liked that POD song about flying or whatever when it came out 3-4 years ago. That's about all I can think of.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 20, 2007 14:45     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
.. & pretty much all of the soundtrack for the playstation game "Wipeout"

--------------------

String em up

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan